Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:07 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

It appears Bronx County is the poorest with Chenango 13 spaces above her. Ref:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo..._capita_income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootedwoman View Post
Thank you all, appreciate all the feedback, truly. I like some of the areas mentioned - north and west and connections there - friends and interests.

I suppose I have been looking more south and east - Otsego and Delaware counties, thinking they are farther from the snow belts (for driving issues) but near the Catskills for hiking, skiing etc and close to NYC for visits.
Also, closer to Albany airport (is that the most robust (# of daily flights) airport in upstate NY?) and closer to Amtrak. I guess Albany and Syracuse would be about the same distance from Oneonta, for example.

Thanks again.

PS - out of curiosity, is Chenango County the "poorest" county in all of NY?
I think the Adirondak Counties of Hamilton, Franklin, and Essex along with the western New York counties of Allegany and Cattaraugus are generally considered the poorest counties in the state.

What you see a lot of in Upstate, particularly with the counties that have large areas (1000+ square miles), is that one or two towns/villages/cities are fairly prosperous while the rest of the county is pretty poor. For example, in my county, Chautauqua, the Dunkirk/Fredonia area (in the NW corner) is fairly prosperous because it has the Thruway connection to Buffalo and Erie, Pa so commuting for jobs is possible. It also has Fredonia State College. At the other end of the county (SE corner) is Jamestown, which still retains enough of an industrial/business base to be a significant job and retail center. The rest of the county tends to be generally poor, with lots of old folks and lots of poor people who struggle to get by on minimum wage work if they can find it. Most of the "prosperous" people either work for the local school districts, the county government, or commute into Jamestown or Dunkirk/Fredonia.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:18 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think the Adirondak Counties of Hamilton, Franklin, and Essex along with the western New York counties of Allegany and Cattaraugus are generally considered the poorest counties in the state.

What you see a lot of in Upstate, particularly with the counties that have large areas (1000+ square miles), is that one or two towns/villages/cities are fairly prosperous while the rest of the county is pretty poor. For example, in my county, Chautauqua, the Dunkirk/Fredonia area (in the NW corner) is fairly prosperous because it has the Thruway connection to Buffalo and Erie, Pa so commuting for jobs is possible. It also has Fredonia State College. At the other end of the county (SE corner) is Jamestown, which still retains enough of an industrial/business base to be a significant job and retail center. The rest of the county tends to be generally poor, with lots of old folks and lots of poor people who struggle to get by on minimum wage work if they can find it. Most of the "prosperous" people either work for the local school districts, the county government, or commute into Jamestown or Dunkirk/Fredonia.
I've heard that some may commute to Erie PA for work as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've heard that some may commute to Erie PA for work as well.
Yes. There's a small number that commute from Jamestown (about 50 miles), but many more from Sherman and west. I think Findlay Lake is about 15 miles from suburban Erie. Westfield is pretty close, too, and right on I-90.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you all, appreciate all the feedback, truly. I like some of the areas mentioned - north and west and connections there - friends and interests.

I suppose I have been looking more south and east - Otsego and Delaware counties, thinking they are farther from the snow belts (for driving issues) but near the Catskills for hiking, skiing etc and close to NYC for visits.
Also, closer to Albany airport (is that the most robust (# of daily flights) airport in upstate NY?) and closer to Amtrak. I guess Albany and Syracuse would be about the same distance from Oneonta, for example.

Thanks again.

Keep in mind that the snowbelt is around the Great Lakes. So, the further away the town is, the less lake effect.

What about Clinton or something nearby? I only ask because it is in the Utica-Rome area and you are in between the airports in Syracuse and Albany. It has that small town charm and Hamilton College is in that community. Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide

Clinton New York Chamber of Commerce: Business Listing - Events: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central NY, Town of Kirkland

Old 06-15-2015, 12:34 PM

50 posts, read 47,804 times
Yes, Clinton is charming - now on the search list, thanks.

Whenever I am driving around Central NY, I see an interesting mix of people and industries. I see people who were born in the area and will never leave. I see lots of older people. I see poverty and blight - in the country side and in the small cities (Utica, for example). I see refurbished Victorians turned into bed and breakfasts by people fleeing large cities. I see boutique/organic food and beverage suppliers, to me is a relatively new phenomenon.

I see jobs that were NOT there when I was growing up - more publicly funded jobs - prison facilities, college facilities, lots of positions related to helping the disabled, (is this a growth area in CNY?)

What I don't see as much of now are the private industry jobs: factories, warehouses, office buildings.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Yes, Clinton is charming - now on the search list, thanks.

Whenever I am driving around Central NY, I see an interesting mix of people and industries. I see people who were born in the area and will never leave. I see lots of older people. I see poverty and blight - in the country side and in the small cities (Utica, for example). I see refurbished Victorians turned into bed and breakfasts by people fleeing large cities. I see boutique/organic food and beverage suppliers, to me is a relatively new phenomenon.

I see jobs that were NOT there when I was growing up - more publicly funded jobs - prison facilities, college facilities, lots of positions related to helping the disabled, (is this a growth area in CNY?)

What I don't see as much of now are the private industry jobs: factories, warehouses, office buildings.
There are private industry jobs like the ones in your last sentence, but you don't have as many of the large factories like in the past. There are quite a few healthcare positions and you have some tech companies. Insurance/risk management is a pretty big industry in the region as well.

You do have an increase in immigrants to the bigger cities and ironically, Utica actually had a population increase between 2000-2010.

I think the organic food thing depends on where you are in the region. Certain parts like Syracuse and Ithaca have stores that aren't in say Utica or Rome or they are pretty new to different parts of the region.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:34 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Quote:
Actually Bronx is from what I can see, with Chautauqua next to the bottom, and Allegany, Franklin, and St. Lawrence rounding out the bottom five. Chenango is in the lower half though: ahead of Steuben and Kings, just behind Broome and Chemung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York