Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'm sure there are some Republicans and conservatives. However, people don't discuss politics and religion very much. In fact, I see less tea party activity here, than I did in Suffolk County NY. And FAR less than I experienced in PA.

People are polite and friendly. And not in a fake way. More low key than NY.

I LIKE four seasons. Another reason why I would not want to move south. I love the Autumn and the first snowfall.

I don't love - the Klan - they just had a rally in one of the Carolinas, NASCAR, the Confederate Flag, and people who dislike me because I'm from NY.

Also, I am Jewish. My wife is a liberal Protestant, and she feels the same way.

We understand why people would want to break up the winter with a trip to a warmer climate - but not live in the Southern states.

We could be happy in New England, possibly California, but I'd miss the seasons, the PNW - but the rain would be too much - but never in the South.
Different strokes for different folks.

People are more polite and friendly here than anywhere I've ever lived. They are as genuine as you can get. They are old-fashioned in their manners, in the best possible way. In the more urban areas at least, they are becoming more progressive than many other places in this country in their tolerance and acceptance of change.

The second oldest synagogue in the country is located in Charleston (1740). There is a thriving Jewish population here.

As far as the KKK at the capitol the other day, they weren't even from SC; they came in to stir things up, and it was a total fail.

We have about 3 seasons here. We don't have the long cold winter.

I'm originally from New England, and I don't think you'd like it there, because I don't think you'd fit in.

And finally, where do I find a rodeo around here?

Last edited by MinkeyM; 07-21-2015 at 04:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I moved from Long Island - west. We live in Ohio and we love it. Low cost of living, no extremist politics, good public schools, near world class medical center (The Cleveland Clinic) no religious fanatics or right wing Christian fundamentalists.

Beautiful houses, older ones which is what we like, that remind me of places like Garden City and parts of Westchester - for 100,000 to 250. You can get a small Tudor style 3 bedroom Cape Cod for 50K! NE Ohio has four seasons and a very New England style feel.

We have good governmental services - snow removal, the roads are cared for, good public schools, Salaries are not ridiculously low. We have museums, sports, many cultural events, a diverse group of ethnicities and the good restaurants that come with that.

We looked into FL because it was not too Southern. We lived in PA for a couple of years and there was too much Tea Party Politics and Gun Culture. The people were unfriendly and mostly went to NYC or Philadelphia for cultural events or health care, when it was anything other than routine. We did not fit in.

Looked at upstate NY and it was too cold. Ohio is at pretty much the same latitude as PA, NJ, or lower NYS. And we did not decide to live in the Sun Belt.

Real southern culture does not attract me. I am not a hunter. I am not into guns or gun culture. I don't like Rodeo. I don't eat red meat, so barbecue, their big regional food doesn't interest me. I like ethic foods - Asian, Mediterranean etc. And good bagels, pizza and Italian food. We have that here. I am also an urban guy. Not a farmer. I'm from Brooklyn originally. The closest I got to country life was summer camp and the Catskills.

Everyone originally from the south has a similar ethnic background - Scots Irish, English. Many are Baptists other types of fundamentists. At a restaurant I want a glass of good wine - not sweet tea.

I do not think that they like us down there. And, to be fair, I am not sure I like them. The racism, the history of segregation and the fact that it really isn't over. Many of them are still fighting the Civil War. I'm not even all that interested in the CW, but if I hear anyone call it "the War of Northern Aggression", I will correct them.

I also live near some big airports. My wife likes to go to South FL every year. This year she went to visit her niece (just as she would have in NY) and the round trip airfare was under 130. (To Palm Beach) So if we do want to get away from the cold, as we did in NY - it's less expentive and there is more discretionary cash.

The South (not Florida) is not an easy place to transfer to and to really ever be accepted.

I agree that NY has become wildly expensive. My property taxes in Stony Brook LI were just under 20K per year! We just couldn't swing it, unless we lived on austerity budget and I worked more than I want. We also have two kids in college now.

My taxes in Ohio are 1500 per YEAR.

Yes. We needed to move. But, at least for us, the south was never the answer for us.
What you said is very true for many people from places like New York, ESPECIALLY if they have no family there.

A lot of ethnic whites from the NYC area especially if they are Jewish or Catholic may not like being in an area that pushes it's brand of the Baptist faith (and similar Protestant denominations) as much. I would say there are more urbanized areas of the South besides Florida, there are big cities in Texas, there are parts of NC, there's Virginia, and Georgia as Atlanta.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
So let me get this straight...you are critical of southerners because "they" are not fond of northerners, but your attitude towards southerners is all well and good, because after all, you are a superior northerner. Got it.

Southerners are criticized for their "southern pride." Is it any wonder they are defensive about their culture, when the rest of the country, especially those from the north, do nothing but bash and ridicule it. You can see the exact same thing from Long Islanders on these forums....if anyone dares to criticize Long Island they are ostracized, belittled, or simply told "if you don't like it, leave." But if a southerner says that, they are a racist redneck who marries their cousin.

It is simply amazing to me the attitudes of many posters on these forums regarding the south, despite many of these same posters never spending more than a very limited time there. Let me break it to you, whether you realize it or not, there are rednecks and white trash everywhere, they just might not be as obvious in the north because they don't have a southern drawl.

I was born and raised on LI, moved to Birmingham, AL 20 years ago, and have never experienced any animosity from anyone regarding my northern roots. In all actuality, it has been the exact opposite, the people here seem to go out of there way to welcome northerners, and are intrigued by the differences in our cultures. Hell, I have a huge Yankee emblem on my Jeep, and haven't had my tires slashed yet.

Those that have had bad experiences in the south should probably do some inner reflecting, and consider the possibility that your air of superiority is what lead to any issues/attitudes in your interactions with southerners.

I'm sure I'll be flamed for this post, but all of the bickering between different cultures and ethnic groups is just getting ridiculous.
You even sound like you're making this up.

I don't think Northerners call themselves/ourselves Northerners. I call myself a New Yorker. I don't have anything to do with people in New England.

In the South there's a much bigger attempt to push a Southern identity, particularly in the deep South (this excludes Florida, Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia).

Warren told you why he didn't like the South, as a Jewish person he doesn't feel comfortable around neo confederates (the confederate flag was just taken down after 9 people got slaughtered in a church by a neo confederate with a gun). It's true a lot of NYC/NJ Jews don't feel to comfortable or keen about the South outside Florida and it is pretty easy to understand why.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:29 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm not saying it is a tit for tat, but as you stated they still provide services and depending on the HOA, the laws and/or the enforcement thereof may be more strict than others. How is that not a privatized form of government? Here is an interesting article about this: Homeowner associations: Devils or angels?
You choose to live in a community, the terms of the community are outlined and the obligation towards the community are defined. I see it that you are choosing to live somewhere with a dedicated contractor such as a landscaper who maintains common features. You don't have to select a community if you dislike the HOA/HOA Terms there are always plenty of neighborhoods to select without an HOA. Enforceable, most definitely as I have seen the courts reinforce but it's a civil court not criminal unlike elected officials who too frequently are ending up in criminal court.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:41 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You choose to live in a community, the terms of the community are outlined and the obligation towards the community are defined. I see it that you are choosing to live somewhere with a dedicated contractor such as a landscaper who maintains common features. You don't have to select a community if you dislike the HOA/HOA Terms there are always plenty of neighborhoods to select without an HOA. Enforceable, most definitely as I have seen the courts reinforce but it's a civil court not criminal unlike elected officials who too frequently are ending up in criminal court.
People choose to live in a village as well. So, there is still the aspect of choice in both situations.

Taxation isn't the same within each and the amount one pays may depend on other factors.

Here is another article that gets into things like history of why HOA's were created in the first place: The Myth of 'Privatopia' / Do private residential governments mean the end of the American dream? - SFGate

I will say that this is funny and common on here in regards to a simple question going somewhere else it doesn't have, if people take the question for what it is. I tried to stay away, as the thread is essentially a rehashed topic couched in a different way, garnering the usual back and forth. So, I guess this is what C-D wants.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-22-2015 at 05:56 AM..

Old 07-22-2015, 05:50 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
/\

Give it a rest, this post is about "New Yorkers Hype For The Sun-Belt" you and I can argue taxes and government reform at a later time....

Old 07-22-2015, 06:32 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

Give it a rest, this post is about "New Yorkers Hype For The Sun-Belt" you and I can argue taxes and government reform at a later time....
Yeah, I was done and about to concentrate on other threads.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:17 PM

160 posts, read 290,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You even sound like you're making this up.

I don't think Northerners call themselves/ourselves Northerners. I call myself a New Yorker. I don't have anything to do with people in New England.

In the South there's a much bigger attempt to push a Southern identity, particularly in the deep South (this excludes Florida, Texas, North Carolina, and Virginia).

Warren told you why he didn't like the South, as a Jewish person he doesn't feel comfortable around neo confederates (the confederate flag was just taken down after 9 people got slaughtered in a church by a neo confederate with a gun). It's true a lot of NYC/NJ Jews don't feel to comfortable or keen about the South outside Florida and it is pretty easy to understand why.
How does that sound made up? I guess if something doesn't agree with your line of thinking, it has to be a fabrication.

My use of the label "northerner" was to avoid singling out New Yorkers, as my argument was aimed at the general misconceptions by those above the Mason-Dixon Line, whether it be Mid Atlantic, New England or Midwestern states, and not New Yorkers (which I still consider myself to be). The label you choose to identify yourself with is completely irrelevant.

Is there a problem with a group of people being proud of their identity? If so, I suggest you petition to have all parades in NYC cancelled, as that is totally unacceptable behavior being demonstrated by the Irish, Italians, Gay and Lesbian Association, etc. If your counterargument is that the basis of southern pride is the confederate flag and racism, you will be displaying your true ignorance of what the south is like today. EVERY group "pushes" their identity, and the south should be allowed to do so as well (which by the way, is about family values, patriotism and southern cuisine).

You essentially reinforced my point. Your take (so I don't put words in his mouth) on his rationale for not approving of southern culture was because of "neo confederates." Have either of you lived in the south to be able to back up your erroneous stereotypes? Oh wait, let me guess, you are basing it off what you see reported in the media, and my actual first hand observations that I offered are just "made up." We are all well aware of what happened in SC; an heinous act committed by a LONE individual. While I don't doubt that there are pockets in the south with "neo confederates" running around using the confederate flag for intimidation, that is simply not the case for the VAST majority of the region.

What if I were to say that Christians should not "feel comfortable" around Muslims because of the recent events with ISIS, the Marines being gunned down, etc; would you support that line of thinking too? I would guess probably not. But it is "pretty easy to understand" why Jews would not "feel comfortable" in the South, based on outdated stereotypes? Rightfully so, our country is fighting hard to erase the stereotyping of ethnic groups, sexual orientation, skin colors, but I guess it is still acceptable to propagate and endorse the stereotypes placed on the south.

I apologize for the tone of this response, but my experiences shouldn't be discounted simply because they don't agree with the agenda of our media or the beliefs of others that are based on outdated stereotypes.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:55 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,351,558 times
Quote:
How does that sound made up? I guess if something doesn't agree with your line of thinking, it has to be a fabrication.

My use of the label "northerner" was to avoid singling out New Yorkers, as my argument was aimed at the general misconceptions by those above the Mason-Dixon Line, whether it be Mid Atlantic, New England or Midwestern states, and not New Yorkers (which I still consider myself to be). The label you choose to identify yourself with is completely irrelevant.

Is there a problem with a group of people being proud of their identity? If so, I suggest you petition to have all parades in NYC cancelled, as that is totally unacceptable behavior being demonstrated by the Irish, Italians, Gay and Lesbian Association, etc. If your counterargument is that the basis of southern pride is the confederate flag and racism, you will be displaying your true ignorance of what the south is like today. EVERY group "pushes" their identity, and the south should be allowed to do so as well (which by the way, is about family values, patriotism and southern cuisine).

You essentially reinforced my point. Your take (so I don't put words in his mouth) on his rationale for not approving of southern culture was because of "neo confederates." Have either of you lived in the south to be able to back up your erroneous stereotypes? Oh wait, let me guess, you are basing it off what you see reported in the media, and my actual first hand observations that I offered are just "made up." We are all well aware of what happened in SC; an heinous act committed by a LONE individual. While I don't doubt that there are pockets in the south with "neo confederates" running around using the confederate flag for intimidation, that is simply not the case for the VAST majority of the region.

What if I were to say that Christians should not "feel comfortable" around Muslims because of the recent events with ISIS, the Marines being gunned down, etc; would you support that line of thinking too? I would guess probably not. But it is "pretty easy to understand" why Jews would not "feel comfortable" in the South, based on outdated stereotypes? Rightfully so, our country is fighting hard to erase the stereotyping of ethnic groups, sexual orientation, skin colors, but I guess it is still acceptable to propagate and endorse the stereotypes placed on the south.

I apologize for the tone of this response, but my experiences shouldn't be discounted simply because they don't agree with the agenda of our media or the beliefs of others that are based on outdated stereotypes.
Outstanding! Thanks for presenting a sound reasonable argument. No need to apologize.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Yes I have been to the South and yes my mother's family is from Alabama and yes I have been there. Every time I go see them I go to Alabama (to visit the ones that are still there).

And all I have said about the deep South is ACCURATE.

From my personal experience I DO NOT LIKE IT, which is something you pro South trolls cannot seem to understand.

I did find the people religiously prejudiced, I did find the politics racist and anti immigrant (such as when Alabama and several other states passed anti immigrant laws that were struck down by the Supreme Court). I personally know anti immigrant people in Alabama.

I am gay and look at how the deep South was on gay marriage . You only have gay marriage there due to intervention from the federal courts. New York State passed gay marriage into law on its own.

The other poster wanted to be in a place that has a decent Jewish community. Outside of Birmingham Alabama has practically no Jewish people. This has nothing to do with the media, this is factual.

I also found Alabama to be much more segregated than NYC. In the small towns once state sanctioned segregation ended, every white person who could afford it pulled their kids out of public school into private academies to continue segregation.

I see a lot more interracial relationships and friendships in NYC than I do in small town Alabama. Of course NYC is more racially and ethnically diverse.

I don't need the media to tell me anything I cannot see for myself every time I visit my elderly relatives in ALABAMA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York