Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:30 PM

7 posts, read 7,446 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone! My boyfriend and I live in a TERRIBLE area in Pennsylvania. We're ready to get out of here and move far away. We're looking for places with beautiful mountains, lakes, extremely little crime, employment, and great schools. We're ready to start a new life and have a fresh new start. So far, all of the researching I've been doing (starting from the minute I wake up, until the minute I go to sleep) all I've been able to find is Corning, NY and so far I'm loving what I'm reading about it & haven't found anything bad. But,then I remembered that my boyfriend and I went on vacation about 2 years ago and went to Sullivan County, PA. It was gorgeous! But, it's an extremely tiny town. The population is only 6,445. So, I can't find just about anything about how it is to live there. Anybody know anything about the crime, schools, employment, or affordability? Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 AM

192 posts, read 251,754 times
What is your budget?

Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 AM

92,303 posts, read 122,548,691 times
Have you looked into any other places besides Corning?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:36 AM

135 posts, read 148,219 times
I would recommend Utica. It checks your boxes and it's like a little New York City. Very diverse, low crime areas, decent schools and a couple great colleges. New highways were built so you can get anywhere in 15 min. It's only getting better because the area economy will be stimulated by the state government as a result of the SUNY university just north of the city.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Have you looked into any other places besides Corning?
Yes! I've looked into tons and tons of places. All around Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. The only place that I've been able to find that's a small town, good schools, in the mountains, very low crime, and affordable was Corning, NY.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
What is your budget?
About $950 a month (If we moved, we'd rent for the first year.)

Old 07-25-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyBranca View Post
Yes! I've looked into tons and tons of places. All around Maryland, New York, and Pennsylvania. The only place that I've been able to find that's a small town, good schools, in the mountains, very low crime, and affordable was Corning, NY.
Plattsburgh, Glens Falls and Oneonta may work as well. They are very close to mountains, have solid schools, appear to be safe and are affordable or relatively so. There may be communities near these small cities that could work as well. Plattsburgh may be a big sleeper due to being on Lake Champlain and is pretty close to Montreal and Burlington VT.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,801,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Plattsburgh, Glens Falls and Oneonta may work as well. They are very close to mountains, have solid schools, appear to be safe and are affordable or relatively so. There may be communities near these small cities that could work as well. Plattsburgh may be a big sleeper due to being on Lake Champlain and is pretty close to Montreal and Burlington VT.
Isn't Corning a good choice too, for what she is looking for?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:24 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,801,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyBranca View Post
Hey, everyone! My boyfriend and I live in a TERRIBLE area in Pennsylvania. We're ready to get out of here and move far away. We're looking for places with beautiful mountains, lakes, extremely little crime, employment, and great schools. We're ready to start a new life and have a fresh new start. So far, all of the researching I've been doing (starting from the minute I wake up, until the minute I go to sleep) all I've been able to find is Corning, NY and so far I'm loving what I'm reading about it & haven't found anything bad. But,then I remembered that my boyfriend and I went on vacation about 2 years ago and went to Sullivan County, PA. It was gorgeous! But, it's an extremely tiny town. The population is only 6,445. So, I can't find just about anything about how it is to live there. Anybody know anything about the crime, schools, employment, or affordability? Any help is very much appreciated! Thank you!
What part of PA do you live in?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Isn't Corning a good choice too, for what she is looking for?
I think so, but I was thinking about the Catskills and Adirondacks in terms of mountains, as well as similarly sized cities near either set/range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York