Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:04 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

This article may give an idea about bear attacks: Outdoors: Rare bear attack in Adirondacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:19 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They are very rare though, unless there has been an uptick in the last decade or so.
Must be living the life - they're on the range roads every time I go up there (last time about a year ago).

Old 08-24-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
Must be living the life - they're on the range roads every time I go up there (last time about a year ago).
This must be pretty recent, as I've never heard about them during field exercises.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:15 PM

More Jefferson County/Watertown business information: Jefferson County, NY Economic Development - Home

Old 07-07-2016, 06:27 PM

52 posts, read 113,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I just thought of one other community that may work and that is the Chaumont(village)(pronounced sha-mo)/Lyme(town) area. It is close to water and just north of the General Brown SD, but is closer to the 1000 Islands too. Lyme Central School serves that community, which has had good Basketball and Baseball teams in the past.

Another thing to possibly consider is that Watertown International Airport is actually between Routes 12 and 3, between Dexter and Sackets Harbor.

Just saw this thread from last year, haven't seen a whole lot on the Chaumont/Lyme area and have some questions. My husband's family is from this general area and he has visited but never lived there. We are considering buying a Summer home on the water there as we also own property in Florida to Winter in. I'm curious about the bugs in this area. This may seem like an odd question but the bugs (particularly the mosquitoes and noseeums) are the reason I can't live in Florida year around. Evidently they love me and I get eaten alive in the warmer weather in areas where they are prevalent. What is the mosquito situation like in the Summer and are there noseeums (biting midges) in this area?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS3 View Post
Just saw this thread from last year, haven't seen a whole lot on the Chaumont/Lyme area and have some questions. My husband's family is from this general area and he has visited but never lived there. We are considering buying a Summer home on the water there as we also own property in Florida to Winter in. I'm curious about the bugs in this area. This may seem like an odd question but the bugs (particularly the mosquitoes and noseeums) are the reason I can't live in Florida year around. Evidently they love me and I get eaten alive in the warmer weather in areas where they are prevalent. What is the mosquito situation like in the Summer and are there noseeums (biting midges) in this area?
I'm not sure, but hopefully another poster could chime in with specific information.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS3 View Post
I am unfortunately in the same boat as you, I get eaten up pretty bad as well. As far as the bugs go, there are some. Is there anyplace in America that doesn't have mosquitos? I can't speak for the Chaumont area specifically but I have spent a lot of time near the water in Henderson and Sackets Harbor. From my experience the closer you are to the water the less mosquitos there are. Sure there may be some but surely nothing like the ones down south. If you go further inland the bugs get much worse. We had a bonfire last weekend at my in-laws house between Adams and Henderson and I got bit up pretty good. But I think if you stay away from the farms and stay closer to the water or in town you should be just fine. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:43 AM

52 posts, read 113,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I am unfortunately in the same boat as you, I get eaten up pretty bad as well. As far as the bugs go, there are some. Is there anyplace in America that doesn't have mosquitos? I can't speak for the Chaumont area specifically but I have spent a lot of time near the water in Henderson and Sackets Harbor. From my experience the closer you are to the water the less mosquitos there are. Sure there may be some but surely nothing like the ones down south. If you go further inland the bugs get much worse. We had a bonfire last weekend at my in-laws house between Adams and Henderson and I got bit up pretty good. But I think if you stay away from the farms and stay closer to the water or in town you should be just fine. Good luck!
Thanks gt87. Mosquitoes are everywhere! We have them here in California but not real bad. But actually it's the noseeums that ate me alive. Last visit to Florida I came home with over 100 bites that lasted 8 months! But sounds like the biting bugs are way worse down south and if we do buy a place in the Chaumont area it will be on the water so it sounds like I'll be ok.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM

368 posts, read 831,042 times
Hate those punkies/no see ums... they are out and about in full force right now. The only thing that has helped me with all of these biting insects around here is Bat Houses.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Hate those punkies/no see ums... they are out and about in full force right now. The only thing that has helped me with all of these biting insects around here is Bat Houses.
Are you still further inland or by the lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York