Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,692 times

Advertisements

I heard that Corning school district was good, but then read on another post that it ranked #271 out of 441 of upstate NY school districts (Business First 2005 rankings). OUCH! We're a young family considering relocating to the Corning area and would really appreciate input from Corning residents on the quality of your schools. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM

406 posts, read 1,452,300 times
Try Greatschools.net. You will have to sign up for the newsletter. Our kids are grown and as such I have no need for a school rating website, but others have had positive things to say about this one. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:26 AM

425 posts, read 1,094,026 times
I don't have kids in school, but FWIW, every time I go to Corning, there are kids just hanging out with seemingly nothing to do, and they act like little thugs.

When we were house hunting a year ago, we really wanted to find something in Corning because you could get a fairly big house pretty cheaply there. I have to say that every single time we went to look at houses, we ran into kids who weren't very nice. It is the #1 reason - really the only reason - we didn't buy there.

We ended up in Trumansburg, just outside of Ithaca. We had to spend more, and the house is a bit smaller than we would have wanted, but the property values have already increased her about 3.5% in the last year, and the schools are very good. I don't regret the decision at all.

Go spend time where you think you want to move. Spend at least a couple of days to get a feel for the place. Hope this helps a little.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:22 PM

4 posts, read 11,883 times
The kids this person ran into obviously came from bad homes, not bad schools...not sure what their comment had to do with the school system anyways...

I went to Corning Public schools since kindergarten and found the education to be excellent. My group of friends all graduated with honors, and went on to 4 year colleges, most on scholarships. The class size is small since the population is small. You get to know your teachers, and they get to know their students. Most of the teachers really seemed to love what they were doing. You will find 1/2 the kids in the high schools want to be their, and half don't. But I dont blame this on the school system, but more on the child's up-bringing.

I moved away from Corning for college, and have recently decided to move back because I can't think of any other place I would want my children to grow up!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:56 AM

862 posts, read 1,053,217 times
Truth is kids sucess in school is more a function of their home than of their school.
If you don't make sure reading is more important than soccer ,proms etc they will end up
ignorant -simple as that.
BTW-kids don't do what their parents do, they become WHAT their parents are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York