U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 43,094 times

Advertisements

We're really interested in Mahopac after a couple of people suggested it as agreat place to live with a family in Puttnam county.

Are there parts of Mahopac that are nicer than others?

We'll be looking for a house to rent, pref. 4 bdroom plus yard, for about $2000-$3000 a month. Does anyone know about real estate in the area/ rentals? Is this amount practical or would prices be higher?

What is commuting like from there to NYC?

Also, any information on moving into the area, high schools/ middle schools, ballet schools, drama schools, shopping areas, places to walk dogs, hiking, medical facilities...would be great.

Is there a Relay For Life event in the area? Or other family activities/ fundraising activities...?

Would also love to hear from anyone who lives in the area.

I'm asking alot of questions but any info, ideas etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 17,959 times
I don't live in Mahopac. I live in Carmel but Mahopac is in the Town of Carmel and I am right on the border of Carmel/Mahopac. Mahopac has everything you would want to raise a family in a safe, family-friendly environment. You will find a very nice home in your price range. Commuting to NYC is minimum an hour maybe more if you have to go to midtown. The highways are close, there is lots of shopping, nice restaurants, ballat schools, gymnastics schools, tai kwon do, parks, lakes -- pretty much a really nice town. The schools are good. Many Mahopac residents brag about the great schools but I think they are comparable to the districts that surround them. There has been a lot of budget problems and the voters actually voted down the budget last year. It was a mess and they took away sports and other after-school programs, then they put them back, and it is just a political fight. Now I read in the paper that there are some fumes or smells in one of the schools and they can't figure out where they are coming from. But overall, those things are minimal. You would be very happy in Mahopac.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
>