Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty72450 View Post
We really want to get away from crowded areas. I'm not sure how rural one can get in the state of New York but Buffalo is probably too crowded. Simalarly, while Ft Drum would most likely provide many customers for my barber shop, I'm afraid we wouldn't really get the local flavor of upstate NY while living so close to a military installation. Thoughts?
You can definitely find quite rural areas that have moderate populations to help with your barber business. A couple of other ideas I'll throw out there are Naples and Bristol:

Naples, New York
Home - Town of Bristol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 05:52 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
We really want to get away from crowded areas. I'm not sure how rural one can get in the state of New York but Buffalo is probably too crowded. Simalarly, while Ft Drum would most likely provide many customers for my barber shop, I'm afraid we wouldn't really get the local flavor of upstate NY while living so close to a military installation. Thoughts?
There really are various flavors within Upstate NY and don't get caught up in the fact it is NY, as most of the land in the state is rural. You can get from Buffalo into rural areas within 20-30 minutes. So, it may be an area that could still work for you.

I will say that the proximity of the Watertown area to Canada could allow for you to go there for things to do as well. Ottawa is only about 2 hours away, if that and the 1000 Islands, which straddle the International border, are minutes away.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Another thing I thought about, is that small cities/towns with a college may also work. College students could serve as a market to tap into for the barber shop. That city/town that the college is in could fit in terms of having a small town feel with access to rural areas in very little time. Many SUNY campuses are in small cities/towns that may work for you(Geneseo, Oswego, Plattsburgh, Oneonta, Brockport, Fredonia, Cortland, Potsdam, Morrisville, Canton, etc).

Old 09-12-2015, 07:00 PM

Some other towns that could work or would fit the criteria that come to mind are: Hamilton, Cazenovia, Alfred and Allegany. All of them have a college/university within that community and offer a rural/small town setting.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some other towns that could work or would fit the criteria that come to mind are: Hamilton, Cazenovia, Alfred and Allegany. All of them have a college/university within that community and offer a rural/small town setting.
Another area that may fit is Penn Yan(inc. the Keuka College area).

Old 09-14-2015, 12:47 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
I'm not a Baptist but that tradition has a fairly wide spread with various combinations of "general," "regular," and "fundamental". If Baptist in much of the country is said to equal political conservatism, and rural equals political conservatism, the red/blue map of NY State ( New York Election Results 2012 - Map, County Results, Live Updates - POLITICO.com ) would be somewhat maddening. The "blue" Franklin and St. Lawrence counties (northern tip) are if anything more rural than the hard "red" Wyoming and Allegany counties in the western end. One is tempted to ascribe influence to bordering Pennsylvania and Quebec, though especially the latter is unlikely.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:19 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There really are various flavors within Upstate NY and don't get caught up in the fact it is NY, as most of the land in the state is rural. You can get from Buffalo into rural areas within 20-30 minutes. So, it may be an area that could still work for you.
The urbanized area of Erie County (including the city of Buffalo) is primarily in the northern and northeastern parts of the county, although both Grand Island and Clarence are northern suburbs with considerable exurban and rural areas. The southern and eastern towns are predominantly rural with the exception of Hamburg and parts of Orchard Park and Lancaster. A half hour south or east of the Buffalo city line will put you in exurban areas. Some of the towns in this area, like East Aurora and Springville, are quintessential American small towns sitting in among farmland and woods.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:45 AM

7 posts, read 8,781 times
Thanks for all the advice. Special thanks to the one with the private msg.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 8,781 times
Sounds like I need to look around Buffalo

Old 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds like I need to look around Buffalo
It seems like East Aurora may be a happy medium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York