Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:15 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Taxes do not make people flee. It doesn't even make millionaires flee (California, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Connecticut.... high % of millionaires ). Bull**** Propaganda.

People leave places like California and NYC due to housing costs.
Uh, taxes ARE a housing cost lol

(Property taxes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 09:31 AM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,564 times
We fled because of an employment opportunity, lower cost of living, warm climate with long summers, wonderful beaches, beautiful Charleston and all it offers, gracious friendly people, an old-fashioned small town atmosphere including a thriving downtown, and a lifestyle with far less stress. To sum it up, we fled for a much better quality of life. It was a no-brainer for us, and we have absolutely no regrets.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM

7,510 posts, read 4,350,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Uh, taxes ARE a housing cost lol

(Property taxes)
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Too bad that genius can't figure that out. Obviously if you are a millionaire you can afford to live anywhere. In any type of house so property taxes are not an issue. Try that on a $50,000 a year income where property taxes could conceivably consume a third of that. High property taxes equate to higher rents as those taxes are passed on to the tenant. If you live in subsidized housing taxes are never an issue as they don't have to pay any. Higher taxes on others are what sustains them. It's the progressive way. Of course it's never their policies that are forcing so many to leave. They're squeezing the economic life out of the middle class who bear the lions share of the burden. Such champions of the middle class they are.

Quote:
"But it is also true that a man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder." --- The Law by Frederic Bastiat (1801-1850) French economist, statesman, and author.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-13-2015 at 10:03 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
We fled because of an employment opportunity, lower cost of living, warm climate with long summers, wonderful beaches, beautiful Charleston and all it offers, gracious friendly people, an old-fashioned small town atmosphere including a thriving downtown, and a lifestyle with far less stress. To sum it up, we fled for a much better quality of life. It was a no-brainer for us, and we have absolutely no regrets.
You've nailed it! Not too many beaches here in Arizona, we love the magnificent landscape's of the desert Southwest. I'm very happy for you that you have found your paradise as we have ours. Getting out of New York was a tremendous burden lifted off of our shoulders. There's nothing like the taste of freedom both economically and politically. Best of luck to you!

Old 09-13-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
You've nailed it! Not too many beaches here in Arizona, we love the magnificent landscape's of the desert Southwest. I'm very happy for you that you have found your paradise as we have ours. Getting out of New York was a tremendous burden lifted off of our shoulders. There's nothing like the taste of freedom both economically and politically. Best of luck to you!
And they even accept me as a crazy liberal here!

Life is good, as they say.

(Btw, went to the beach today. It was peaceful, quiet and glorious. )

Old 09-13-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
And they even accept me as a crazy liberal here!

Life is good, as they say.

(Btw, went to the beach today. It was peaceful, quiet and glorious. )
Probably because you've got a great attitude and are happy where you are.

Us? As a couple of crazy Conservatives we're amongst a whole lot of other crazy Conservatives. Being accepted was never an issue.

Haven't been to a beach in quite awhile. Last was Jones Beach. The nearest "real" beaches around here are in So Cal about a 5 hour drive from us.

We're at the end of our Monsoon season, so we'll be back out exploring the vast and mysterious Sonoran Desert.

Life is indeed good! No, make that "great". I still can't believe we live out here. As I'm sure you are there. Nothing better than to be able to fulfill one's dreams and achieve your goals.

All the best to you.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Probably because you've got a great attitude and are happy where you are.

Us? As a couple of crazy Conservatives we're amongst a whole lot of other crazy Conservatives. Being accepted was never an issue.

Haven't been to a beach in quite awhile. Last was Jones Beach. The nearest "real" beaches around here are in So Cal about a 5 hour drive from us.

We're at the end of our Monsoon season, so we'll be back out exploring the vast and mysterious Sonoran Desert.

Life is indeed good! No, make that "great". I still can't believe we live out here. As I'm sure you are there. Nothing better than to be able to fulfill one's dreams and achieve your goals.

All the best to you.
And to you, also.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:13 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the population loss I am sure a significant portion of the Syrian Refugees slated to come into this country (according to the president) will find NY the right environment to resettle in.

Joking aside when you look at the state that begins beyond the NYC influence there are significant numbers loss because the jobs have left. Manufacturing is long gone and although niche industries have move in over the years their employment numbers are far below what GM, Kodak, and GE provided in their hey day. The state continually is ranked as the worst or one of the worst locations for business because of costs and regulations that strangle industry.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the population loss I am sure a significant portion of the Syrian Refugees slated to come into this country (according to the president) will find NY the right environment to resettle in.

Joking aside when you look at the state that begins beyond the NYC influence there are significant numbers loss because the jobs have left. Manufacturing is long gone and although niche industries have move in over the years their employment numbers are far below what GM, Kodak, and GE provided in their hey day. The state continually is ranked as the worst or one of the worst locations for business because of costs and regulations that strangle industry.
What is another issue with industry is that these jobs are leaving not just NYS, but the country in many cases. I was listening to a radio show on Saturday where a local congressman stated that out national tax rate is around 39% for manufacturing, while is only something like 13% in England. While I know some of these jobs are coming back due to other reasons in these other countries, the national tax rate in comparison to many other countries is quite a bit higher. This is a pretty recent article about this: Facts About Manufacturing - The Manufacturing Institute

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-14-2015 at 05:47 AM..

Old 09-14-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

That's exactly the reason why the company that my wife and I both worked for packed up and moved down south. They had been in New York for 50 years. 10 years previously they were offered tax incentives to stay which they did. When those 10 years were up they were gone! We would have went except they only offered one of us a job and at a reduced salary. Fortunately for us we had no debt. We taught ourselves how to use computers, became self employed. It turned out to be a blessing as it was our ticket out of New York and fulfill a dream of moving to the Southwest. Life is indeed great out here. A life we could never achieve had we stayed. The only hard part was leaving family, friends and all things familiar. But since we hated living in New York it was well worth the gamble as we have never been happier since getting out. Once we got across the New York/Pennsylvania border, it was free at last and never looked back.

New York would indeed be a haven for Syrian Refugees as it is also a haven for those who are in this country illegally. Our old neighborhood was becoming filled with them. One by one as people sold their homes they were bought by these invaders and single family homes were being crammed with them. The city turned a blind eye to all the complaints. Claiming that the people living in those homes were related and there was nothing they could do about it. Cars were parked all over the street and sidewalks, litter, public drinking, and urination were now becoming commonplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York