Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 05:27 PM

82 posts, read 47,395 times

Advertisements

Normally I hate most car obsessed people in our metro area but I am quite surprised none of the few fanatics that live here are not outraged at this rather than obsessing over the MTA.

So with that said, in other states I lived in, they don't put the registration sticker or inspection(if applicable) on the windshield and instead it is placed on the rear license plate. NY DMV should do exactly the same since the stickers look like **** ****.

Frankly speaking, NY should get rid of front plates, but that is a separate issue altogether.

Shocked again that me, the most pro mass transit guy is saying this considering the car obsessed people I would think would hate stickers on the windshield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 06:26 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
You love mass transit.
Grab a bud light and enjoy it. Let the rest of the folks enjoy their cars and the luxury they offer.

Old 05-03-2023, 03:57 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Subway over Freeway ......hmmmm?

From Queens to Manhattan in 45 minutes by train
or Queens to N.J. by car in the same amount of time ?

I go with the car.
Put 100 stickers on my windshield , I'll sacrifice for that Freedom.

Old 05-03-2023, 05:09 AM

2,982 posts, read 1,165,820 times
They do the same thing in other states!

Old 05-03-2023, 05:49 AM

106 posts, read 129,376 times
Lmao grab a Bud Light…

Old 05-03-2023, 05:55 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Registration stickers are far less useful now since all related to enforcement can do a plate OCR in a matter of second and check a live database if your registration is up to code.

Colored stickers (as used in other states) are a decent visual indicator that registration is paid.
The NYS reg. stickers do include VIN though which I suppose helps in theft situations.

Getting rid of Front plate is not sensible in the 21st century where Cameras are used to identify vehicle through OCR.
I'd wager in fact in a city where there's such an abundance of parallel parking and a chance at enforcing a driving toll for those under 59th street that small side plates could be equipped on each vehicle--- from a technological standpoint it is the most secure.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:32 AM

5,515 posts, read 7,106,662 times
They used to have registration stickers on rear plates in NY in the 60's I remember.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Subway over Freeway ......hmmmm?

From Queens to Manhattan in 45 minutes by train
or Queens to N.J. by car in the same amount of time ?

I go with the car.
Put 100 stickers on my windshield , I'll sacrifice for that Freedom.
If I am going Queens to Somerset, NJ or Queens to Six Flags Great Adventure of course I use my car dummy. However, when I did consulting in downtown Newark, it was faster to take NJ Transit from Penn Station during rush hour than to drive it in the rush hour. I drove my car for a week and was late whether I took Verazzano/Goethals or Lincoln or Holland tunnedls. And the awesome thing was got to hang out late at night at some of the bars with my team in Newark and hop back on the train without the cops pulling us over and get an DUI.

For someone that cares about their car, the stickers look ugly on the windshield. Even other car enthusiasts have said the same thing.

Last edited by tangocashdrink; 05-03-2023 at 07:34 AM..

Old 05-03-2023, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Registration stickers are far less useful now since all related to enforcement can do a plate OCR in a matter of second and check a live database if your registration is up to code.

Colored stickers (as used in other states) are a decent visual indicator that registration is paid.
The NYS reg. stickers do include VIN though which I suppose helps in theft situations.

Getting rid of Front plate is not sensible in the 21st century where Cameras are used to identify vehicle through OCR.
I'd wager in fact in a city where there's such an abundance of parallel parking and a chance at enforcing a driving toll for those under 59th street that small side plates could be equipped on each vehicle--- from a technological standpoint it is the most secure.
For the same reason registration stickers are outdated is the same reason front plates are outdated. Cameras can still capture all your information including your photo when you pass through the a toll gantry.

Pennsylvania and Delaware are rear plate only and they have E-Zpass capturing all the information.

Florida is also rear plate and they have Sun Pass tolling and they still capture all the information.

Old 05-03-2023, 02:17 PM

5,103 posts, read 2,049,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
They do the same thing in other states!
And some Canadian provinces as well, we should have ask: what they took them so long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: