Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times

Advertisements

I work in aviation so all this is too familiar to me. Just some of my comments based on previous responses -

- Designating an airport as "International" actually doesn't mean they have public commercial international flights - it means they have the. facilities available to handle international flights (customs and immigration). Private international flights will use these facilities. Just because you as a consumer can't buy a ticket on an airline to go somewhere international, doesn't mean that the airport doesn't have international capabilities.

- Miller is correct on EAS, which is subsidized by the government. These small airlines (Cape Air is a common EAS airline) fly from smaller airports to larger hubs so that people can connect to other destinations. Read more here - https://www.transportation.gov/polic...al-air-service

- I am very familiar with Plattsburgh's airport and yes they heavily market to Montreal especially. Ultra Low Cost Carriers (Allegiant, Spirit, etc) combined with VERY CHEAP PARKING at the airport allow for Canadians to drive over the border, leave their cars for extended periods of time, and go play golf in Florida or whatever.

As I said before, the main reason Griffiss doesn't have passenger service is because of $$. They need to attract airlines and since it is so close to both SYR and ALB, there has to be heavy incentives for an airline to even consider operating there. A super low cost carrier would really be the only way to go in this instance. But now that they have the new terminal, they may be exploring air service development options. There is just so much involved.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:21 AM

135 posts, read 149,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Regardless of the fancy name it has been given until the City of Rome (population 32k+) decides that it is going to market and promote the facility no airline is going to invest and initiate a route. Syracuse airport is only an hour away how many airports are needed?
Bangor International Airport in Bangor, ME serves a city of 32k with no metro area really to speak of, and they have a decent-sized terminal facility and a hotel connected to it. I think an airport here which would service a metro area of 300k people would be fairly successful, but I'm not 100% certain.

The Dallas area has Dallas Love Field 25 minutes away from Dallas Fort Worth. They both have tons of destinations and are always busy.

An expressway was completed between Utica and Rome, with one of the exits signed for "Griffiss International Airport." Wouldn't you wonder why it's called "International Airport," implying passenger service is intended for it at the very least?

Old 11-21-2015, 11:54 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post

An expressway was completed between Utica and Rome, with one of the exits signed for "Griffiss International Airport." Wouldn't you wonder why it's called "International Airport," implying passenger service is intended for it at the very least?
See my previous comment re: international. It does not imply that there is international passenger service, it merely has to do with having the capabilities to handle international flights.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaboy View Post
Bangor International Airport in Bangor, ME serves a city of 32k with no metro area really to speak of, and they have a decent-sized terminal facility and a hotel connected to it. I think an airport here which would service a metro area of 300k people would be fairly successful, but I'm not 100% certain.

The Dallas area has Dallas Love Field 25 minutes away from Dallas Fort Worth. They both have tons of destinations and are always busy.

Bangor is only one of two major airport in the state with Portland airport being two hours away that is a big difference to Rome which has two significant airports in under two hours. Bangor is also a significant business hub for the it's region, what is Rome's purpose?

Dallas Love Field is the original airport to the city of Dallas until it was supplanted by Dallas-Ft Worth International. You can't be series comparing these cities to Rome....

To be call International airport it simply means that a flight could come in from outside the USA. To give you an example Menominee Michigan had an airport that was mainly used by small aircraft and crop dusters. Once a day a 8 person connector flight came in from Green Bay WI and once a week an 8 person connector came in from Sault St Marie Canada, because of the latter flight they called themselves Menominee International Airport, yeah a real transit hub. As for the "expressway" exit call it wishful thinking because there are currently no scheduled airlines into the facility.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:48 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Bangor is only one of two major airport in the state with Portland airport being two hours away that is a big difference to Rome which has two significant airports in under two hours. Bangor is also a significant business hub for the it's region, what is Rome's purpose?
Bangor is also the main diversion site for trans-atlantic flights.

If there is a security problem, a mechanical problem, or they're running low on fuel after crossing the Atlantic, the flight is going to Bangor. They average a diversion every couple of days, and that often means handling hundreds of people at once if the plane has to be emptied. Which is one of the reasons they have more facilities than they might otherwise.

-------

Bangor also has very limited normal service. It's a couple regional flights to hubs and Allegiant sending Canadians to Florida.

And the regional flights work because it's a 4 hour drive to the nearest airport with real service and again, Canadians plus most of the state of Maine.

Once again, in contrast, Griffiss is <2 hours to airports with real service, so there's no reason anyone would want to take a regional flight out of there.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:18 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,382 times
Also have to remember that when Binghamton opened in 1951 there was a ton of industry in the area - they still have around 100,000 or so people go through on the average per year.

Old 11-22-2015, 02:17 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Once again, in contrast, Griffiss is <2 hours to airports with real service, so there's no reason anyone would want to take a regional flight out of there.
Less than an hour and a half. Albany is an hour and a half. Syracuse is an hour. An airport in Utica wouldn't survive. There's not much business there either. Utica is kind of a hole in the wall city....it's been in trouble for years....and nothing is looking like the future will improve....would be great if it did, but I wouldn't count on it.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:13 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,228 times
As noted above...Plattsburgh gets subsidized flights to Boston via Cape Air. Allegiant caters to Montrealers. Burlington International Airport in Burlington, VT just across the lake is where most people in that region fly out of - JetBlue, American, Delta, Allegiant, Porter, United all serve the airport. Or drive down to Albany for Southwest.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:14 PM

93,248 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Less than an hour and a half. Albany is an hour and a half. Syracuse is an hour. An airport in Utica wouldn't survive. There's not much business there either. Utica is kind of a hole in the wall city....it's been in trouble for years....and nothing is looking like the future will improve....would be great if it did, but I wouldn't count on it.
To be fair: Video: Insight 06/12/15 | Watch Insight Online | WCNY/Channel 24 Video

Old 11-23-2015, 03:27 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
They've tried numerous things over the years and nothing has stuck. All these new projects sound great, but they've been here before with other projects. Only time will tell if things will actually change. Albany built all this NANO stuff including the original NANO College that as part of SUNY Albany and that hasn't rebuilt Albany by any stretch of any imagination. Not to mention the NANO College LEFT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York