Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM

149 posts, read 303,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Would the blighted properties have a chance for revitalization?
Groups (including the one responsible for the link you provided) have tried. The absentee landlord rates are just too high, in my opinion, and if/when there is interest, there just isn't money.

If you look at some of the street photos - Gray Street in particular - you'll get a better idea of what the area looks like. The other streets I clicked on only have pics of the notable homes/buildings, the Gray Street page has the less desirable ones as well. I think these are pretty dated, too. The burned-out place, for example, I believe has been demolished and is now a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
Groups (including the one responsible for the link you provided) have tried. The absentee landlord rates are just too high, in my opinion, and if/when there is interest, there just isn't money.

If you look at some of the street photos - Gray Street in particular - you'll get a better idea of what the area looks like. The other streets I clicked on only have pics of the notable homes/buildings, the Gray Street page has the less desirable ones as well. I think these are pretty dated, too. The burned-out place, for example, I believe has been demolished and is now a parking lot.
That's too bad, as that area looks like it has a lot potential. I guess the only other possibility is for out of area investors having an interest in the properties that need some work.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:02 PM

149 posts, read 303,121 times
Quote:
That's too bad, as that area looks like it has a lot potential. I guess the only other possibility is for out of area investors having an interest in the properties that need some work.
What seems to happen is that out of area investors have an interest...in buying cheap and doing the bare minimum to provide sub-standard rental units. It is a downward spiral.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
What seems to happen is that out of area investors have an interest...in buying cheap and doing the bare minimum to provide sub-standard rental units. It is a downward spiral.
Sad, but true.....It could be an area that may be appealing to say some professionals in the area, but doing the minimum isn't going to help.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM

368 posts, read 830,917 times
When I think of old money Thousand Islands is right there and I'm not sure on what the neighborhoods are called in Watertown but like others have mentioned most of the neat old homes have been split up into rentals or turned into offices of some sort.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
When I think of old money Thousand Islands is right there and I'm not sure on what the neighborhoods are called in Watertown but like others have mentioned most of the neat old homes have been split up into rentals or turned into offices of some sort.
Aren't there still quite a few homes that have single families in them though? I'm thinking of the homes near Thompson Park, Watertown High, Samaritan Hospital, the synagogue, etc. I'm thinking that they are some of the people that send their kids to IHC.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a common theme for those that live in these areas in terms of schooling, even though some may actually go with other options including public schools.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-21-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmwood View Post
In Buffalo, there's also a lot of old money in the east-of-Richmond West Side (Elmwood Village and the Delaware District), and the Nye Park area north of Delaware Park, along with old money social clubs (Buffalo Club, Saturn Club, 20th Century Club) and day schools (secular/independent - Nichols School and Buffalo Seminary, Catholic - Canisius High School and Nardin Academy.)

Old money suburbs - there's the Snyder neighborhood in Amherst (with Park School), and some "gentleman's estates" and polo fields in the Town of Aurora. In Fort Erie, on the north shore of Lake Erie between the more blue collar cottage colonies, there's a lot of old money summer retreats.

In the Buffalo area, the city is more heavily represented than the suburbs in the Social Register.
Apparently the wealthiest census tract in the Buffalo metro is near Delaware Park.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,252 times
Along with East Ave in Rochester, Elmwood Ave. in Brighton has amazing and unique mansions that represent old money.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 AM

368 posts, read 830,917 times
Quote:
Aren't there still quite a few homes that have single families in them though? I'm thinking of the homes near Thompson Park, Watertown High, Samaritan Hospital, the synagogue, etc. I'm thinking that they are some of the people that send their kids to IHC.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a common theme for those that live in these areas in terms of schooling, even though some may actually go with other options including public schools.
Yes those areas do have single family homes, its quite a small footprint actually. Within 2 blocks its a whole different ball game.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TughillTina View Post
Yes those areas do have single family homes, its quite a small footprint actually. Within 2 blocks its a whole different ball game.
I know that there are some rentals off of State Street and a couple to a few blocks south it. It has been like that for a while, but there is a mix going east on State. Once you get south/west of Franklin, is where it starts becoming nicer/more "old money". West of Washington has more relatively newer homes and is still pretty nice going over to IHC, but it has a mix with some nicer older homes. From about here going down Washington Street is where many of the homes have that look: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.9712...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Most of the block groups in that area have median household incomes around or above the national figure, except for one that is more lower middle class and another that also includes some senior apartments. East of Washington: Census Block Group 062200-2 in Jefferson County, New York

Census Block Group 062200-3 in Jefferson County, New York

Census Block Group 062100-3 in Jefferson County, New York

West of Washington: Census Block Group 061900-1 in Jefferson County, New York

Census Block Group 061900-2 in Jefferson County, New York

Census Block Group 061900-3 in Jefferson County, New York

Eastern end of State, to the south: Census Block Group 062200-1 in Jefferson County, New York

https://goo.gl/maps/VVa2wkuKB8q

City/area info: Watertown, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Watertown, Fort Drum Micro Area - USA.comâ„¢ (actually a metro area now)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-22-2017 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York