Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 08:49 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

After coming across this: Video: Insight 8/16/13 | Watch Insight Online | WCNY/Channel 24 Video

What would be some good road trip ideas from around the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 03:37 AM

25 posts, read 26,026 times
Hudson Valley only 90 minutes from New York City, Mohonk Mountain House is a historic resort surrounded by 26,000 acres of woodlands and the scenic Lake Mohonk Why not try to visit?

Old 12-24-2015, 03:55 AM

196 posts, read 175,312 times
Oh yes, The Hudson River Valley is gorgeous.

When I was in Watertown we took road trips to Niagara Falls. That's a great day trip. I went in January so I could see it frozen over. There's a carousel museum nearby that has an indoor carousel and a huge collection of animals from pigs to chickens and dragons.

Alexandria Bay and the St. Lawrence River are beautiful. Go see Boldt Castle or some of the beautiful homes on their own private islands. Best wine I ever had was from from Alexandria Bay winery, made from Niagara grapes.

Syracuse has a mall that will knock your socks off and Oakwood Cemetery is one of the best I've ever been too.

Binghamton has this creepy old hospital that looks like a castle. It's abandoned and there's a whole abandoned town around it. Worth stopping if you like old buildings.

If you like weird stuff, get a copy of Weird New York and follow up on everything in it. I do that every time I go to a new state. Haunted houses, historic homes, cemeteries, tourist traps like Sleepy Hollow.

Old 12-24-2015, 04:56 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
How about a road trip to Niagara Falls?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:25 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
How about a road trip to Niagara Falls?
No ice bridge this winter yet ... and it doesn't seem likely this winter unless the long range forecast is totally wrong. OTOH, Niagara Falls is always cool. Bring your passport/enhanced drivers license so that you can cross to Ontario.

Most attractions right around the Falls (like the Maid of the Mist) don't open until May, and that's weather dependent.

For the rest of Niagara Falls area ...
New Year's Day, there's going to be two hikes at the state parks in Niagara County, including the DeVeaux Woods SP (First Day Hike: DeVeaux Woods and the Niagara Gorge - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation) and Ft Niagara (First Day History Hike - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation).

Both are level trails and strollers are ok at Ft Niagara. DeVeaux Woods trail is handicapped accessible but the Officers Club at FN is not. Technically, you could do both but I think it would be cutting it close.

I'm leaning towards the Ft Niagara hike but I don't know if I can find somebody who's interested. Many of my friends who are interested are older/gimpier than me, and the ones who are pretty healthy aren't necessarily into history or hiking.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:37 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
A drive to/around Chautauqua Lake is always an interesting one.

If you come in the summer, you can take the Stow Ferry from the tiny hamlet of Stow across the lake to the picturesque village of Bemus Point on weekends. The fare is a donation. The modern tour boat the Summer Wind takes passengers out on the lake from Celoron (near Jamestown). The steam-driven paddle wheel tour boat Chautauqua Belle takes passengers out from Mayville (near Westfield on I-90). You can also explore Panama Rocks, take the younger kids to the amusement park at Midway State Park, picnic/swim at Long Point, take in a lecture/show at the world famous Chautauqua Institute, visit the Lucille Ball museum and other sites around Jamestown, wander the nearby countryside to visit Amish country, etc.

Old 07-04-2022, 08:08 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
A drive to/around Chautauqua Lake is always an interesting one.

If you come in the summer, you can take the Stow Ferry from the tiny hamlet of Stow across the lake to the picturesque village of Bemus Point on weekends. The fare is a donation. The modern tour boat the Summer Wind takes passengers out on the lake from Celoron (near Jamestown). The steam-driven paddle wheel tour boat Chautauqua Belle takes passengers out from Mayville (near Westfield on I-90). You can also explore Panama Rocks, take the younger kids to the amusement park at Midway State Park, picnic/swim at Long Point, take in a lecture/show at the world famous Chautauqua Institute, visit the Lucille Ball museum and other sites around Jamestown, wander the nearby countryside to visit Amish country, etc.
Here is a segment about the bolded place...

Inside the Chautauqua Institution’s summer assembly: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hu...ummer-assembly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York