Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM

90 posts, read 381,340 times

Advertisements

I am trying to relocate from Eastern Tn to be closer to my daughter which lives in upstate New Jersey. But being a one income family I can not afford to live in Bergan Co. or anywhere in NJ for that matter. I have looked in Eastern PA and have found some nice homes. But Pa taxes you to work! Taxes in New Jersey are out of site. So I have been thinking of the Port Jervis area. What are the taxes like in the up state New York area? Can anyone help me please. I am looking for a small town area to buy an insisting home. I do not want to go through the trouble of building. Not really interested in gated communities. Just looking for a quite safe place to live. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 09:02 PM

538 posts, read 2,457,840 times
Taxes in PA are lower than NY and NJ, but nowhere in the northeast has low taxes like down south. I would recommend not living in Port Jervis. Look into Scranton if you like to be near city services, or in Wayne County, PA. If Binghamton isn't too far, there are very low priced homes there too.

Also, just so no one takes advantage of you as a newcomer, Bergen County is NEVER called upstate NJ- no such thing. There is only upstate NY and "The City", referring to NYC. NJ is divided Northern NJ, Central NJ, or Southern NJ (preferably called North Jersey, Central Jersey, and South Jersey), and people have a strong regional attachment to each area. Just an FYI, friend.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:27 PM

602 posts, read 1,263,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Also, just so no one takes advantage of you as a newcomer, Bergen County is NEVER called upstate NJ- no such thing. There is only upstate NY and "The City", referring to NYC. NJ is divided Northern NJ, Central NJ, or Southern NJ (preferably called North Jersey, Central Jersey, and South Jersey), and people have a strong regional attachment to each area. Just an FYI, friend.
Although I have never heard anyone in NYC refer to it as such, I have run into folks in upstate NY that refer to NYC/LI as "downstate". Within NYC, "The City" refers exclusively to Manhattan. FYI.

As far as your search GoingtoPA, I think you are really looking in the right place in eastern PA there. I've recently had some family members move out there and they get so much more for their money. Decide how far is _too_ far from your daughter and draw a line on the map. Then you will have a good starting point of where you want to be and can research individual areas or cities, depending on your preference for amenities and how far you want to drive to get groceries.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phish Head View Post
Taxes in PA are lower than NY and NJ, but nowhere in the northeast has low taxes like down south. I would recommend not living in Port Jervis. Look into Scranton if you like to be near city services, or in Wayne County, PA. If Binghamton isn't too far, there are very low priced homes there too.

Sorry for the mistake in (upstate) that was my error. I am just making an attempt to fine a affordable residents without going broke in the process.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Although I have never heard anyone in NYC refer to it as such, I have run into folks in upstate NY that refer to NYC/LI as "downstate". Within NYC, "The City" refers exclusively to Manhattan. FYI.

As far as your search GoingtoPA, I think you are really looking in the right place in eastern PA there. I've recently had some family members move out there and they get so much more for their money. Decide how far is _too_ far from your daughter and draw a line on the map. Then you will have a good starting point of where you want to be and can research individual areas or cities, depending on your preference for amenities and how far you want to drive to get groceries.
Thanks for your advise. I have visited NJ and NY many times and have always found people very friendly. Not as clickish as down south. No matter what the area is called I do not want to pay extreme taxes.

I will continue my search in Northeastern PA.

Thanks again.......

Old 11-21-2006, 08:31 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Milford PA...forget the tax to work issue, NY and NJ suck the blood out of you every property tax bill you get and then hit you hard on the income taxes too..

It is very cheap here and you do not have to live in a gated community. I live in a community but you would hardly know driving by my house.

Please, PLEASE stay away from Port Jervis. Try Greenville instead if you can afford it. PJ floods and is just not a desireable area.

Old 11-21-2006, 08:47 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingtoPA View Post
Thanks for your advise. I have visited NJ and NY many times and have always found people very friendly. Not as clickish as down south. No matter what the area is called I do not want to pay extreme taxes.

I will continue my search in Northeastern PA.

Thanks again.......

I'm a lifelong resident of the Scranton suburbs; please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you in your search! You'd probably fall in love with the charming Victorian town of Honesdale, PA, in Wayne County. I'm a budding photographer in NEPA, and I even snapped a few dozen photos of Honesdale, which can be found here: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...art-three.html

Honesdale is in the extreme northeastern corner of the Commonwealth, about 40 minutes from Scranton, the "Electric City", and about 50 minutes from Binghamton, also known as "Bingo." You can find reasonably-priced real estate here, and you're just far enough away from NJ to be out of commuting range for the recent transplants, but you're still close enough to be within 60-90 minutes of your family.

FYI, not all of PA taxes you for working. There's an "Occupational Priviledge Tax" as well as a "Local Wage Tax" that are both determined on a local level; I don't believe the Honesdale area has either. Scranton has a 3.4% wage tax, which is among the highest in the nation (It's also, in my opinion, the sole factor keeping the city's population from growing again after years of loss to sprawl). The "Occupational Priviledge Taxes" general range between $10-$52, with most communities charging that maximum of $52 out of sheer greed. (I work for our local Lowe's store, and lo and behold they zap me for $52 even though I only earn $9/hr! Go figure!) LOL!

Best of luck to you in your search, and feel free to post more on the PA forums as well!

Old 11-21-2006, 08:49 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Milford PA...forget the tax to work issue, NY and NJ suck the blood out of you every property tax bill you get and then hit you hard on the income taxes too..

It is very cheap here and you do not have to live in a gated community. I live in a community but you would hardly know driving by my house.

Please, PLEASE stay away from Port Jervis. Try Greenville instead if you can afford it. PJ floods and is just not a desireable area.
I concur. Check out Pike and Wayne Counties, especially the stretch between Hawley and Milford via Route 6!

Old 11-23-2006, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 8,036 times
Hi there I have just joined here and found your e-mail. I suggest the area around MOnicello NY. It's up and coming there major changes happening there. I have recently bought two houses there. If you are interested in the area let me know. I might even have a beautiful community to recommend to you.

Old 11-28-2006, 06:14 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
Default port jervis

Hi, my husband got a job in Port Jervis,NY. Unfortunately he had to turn it down,because our house did not sell on Long Island. While I was looking for places to live if we relocated there we were told to stay away from Port Jervis, and to look at Milford Pa, so we did! What a great area, honesdale is just lovely, and so was Lake Wallenpaupack. My friend's Dad lives in Shohola Pa, what a great place also! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York