Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 07:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,977 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a 3+ bedroom single family home within Montgomery, Beacon, and Poughkeepsie (image a triangle). We are in NC so I am relying heavily on internet searches that keep bringing up your typical Zillow, Hotpad, Trulia sites.

Are we missing something is there a place locals use more to place their own ads when they don't want to use a realtor? We have noticed most of these ads are through realtors instead of the actual owner (so a lot are asking for realtor fees). Any information would be appreciated. We are looking to move in June but we are visiting the area next week and I am pulling my hair out trying to find places to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 05:44 AM

9 posts, read 8,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehunt11 View Post
We are looking for a 3+ bedroom single family home within Montgomery, Beacon, and Poughkeepsie (image a triangle). We are in NC so I am relying heavily on internet searches that keep bringing up your typical Zillow, Hotpad, Trulia sites.

Are we missing something is there a place locals use more to place their own ads when they don't want to use a realtor? We have noticed most of these ads are through realtors instead of the actual owner (so a lot are asking for realtor fees). Any information would be appreciated. We are looking to move in June but we are visiting the area next week and I am pulling my hair out trying to find places to live!
Anyone? Any help would be appreciated. This search is becoming a nightmare.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 AM

9 posts, read 10,804 times
When I read your question, it seems that you think the buyer pays the real estate fees. No, it's the seller who is responsible for those fees, so I don't know that you'd save any money by looking for "for sale by owners". Why not call a local real estate agent in that area, and tell them that you want a "buyer's agent", someone who will be on your side and represent you. The "buyer's agent" and the "seller's agent" will have to split the fee, that the seller would pay.
If you have a "buyer's agent", he/she can do all the legwork for you, and steer you in the right direction.

If you move to one of these areas, are you looking to be in a city situation, more suburban or rural?

If you move to Poughkeepsie, I'd stay away from anywhere near Main Street. Northern Po'k, near
Marist/DCC ok, Arlington mostly ok, Spackenkill ok, and some parts of the city, south of Main Street -
all of these might be ok. Also think about the surrounding towns, such as Wappingers, Hyde Park
and Pleasant Valley, which are also nice areas to live.

As with anyplace that I would buy, after looking at the "possibility" in the daytime, I'd also go back at night and check out the neighborhood, especially on a weekend night. Are there a lot of people roaming the street, is it loud, does it feel safe, etc.?

Just a few thoughts. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:55 PM

8 posts, read 11,318 times
Hi, you can try the PennySaver online for the area you are looking into. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:15 PM

35 posts, read 121,352 times
Houlihan Lawrence is one of the larger real estate companies in this area. There's plenty of building going on in Fishkill, Hopewell Junction and other parts of Southern Dutchess County. We moved to this area about 6 years ago and soon realized that looking for housing that the area is not overly populated and so the number of houses available might be limited compared to suburbs of large cities. If you stick to the area adjacent to Route 9 on the East side of the Hudson then you'll be near most shopping and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York