Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 06:36 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,313 times

Advertisements

It looks pretty definite that I'm going to accept a job in the Danbury, CT area and will be working there within 2 weeks! I don't really want to live in CT, but really like Putnam County. I just stumbled upon Putnam Valley, NY this weekend while driving around up there and its right up my alley.

What is the tax implications of living in NY but working in CT? Do I have to pay state income taxes to NY, CT, or a portion to both? How is Putnam Valley for quality of life? Crime, etc. I like a quiet area with lots of trees, hills, and lakes.

Commute wise, the best route seems to be to take the Taconic north to 84 East. Its quite a convoluted route, anyone know if there is a better way? I also noticed the traffic around Brewster was quite heavy even on the weekend, so I might just avoid that area if that is recommended.

I'm gonna be a full-blown New Yorker once again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 09:17 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,037,595 times
You'll pay taxes to NY state. You'll make your life easier by staying as close to route 22 as possible, makes way more sense to live in Patterson/Carmel/Brewster than PV. From PV to Danbury, you'd take 6 to 684 to get onto 84... you'll travel through some congested areas and it will take you a good 40 minutes each way assuming no traffic. There are ways to get into Danbury without being on the highway but the sheer distance is working against you before you even get to the point where you need to navigate around 84.

If you end up buying a home, it makes way more sense to buy in CT. Otherwise, it's a wash - taxes are higher in NY, rents are higher in CT.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 PM

660 posts, read 658,194 times
Are you 100% sold on Putnam Valley? There are similar towns in Dutchess County that are similar in price and closer to Danbury. I would also post this on the Connecticut board to get their opinions.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
Are you 100% sold on Putnam Valley? There are similar towns in Dutchess County that are similar in price and closer to Danbury. I would also post this on the Connecticut board to get their opinions.
True. And IMO and as someone who was once in a similar boat - give CT a chance too. There are a number of beautiful and relatively affordable areas in northern Fairfield/southern Litchfield counties that will give you more time back in your day.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
You'll pay taxes to NY state. You'll make your life easier by staying as close to route 22 as possible, makes way more sense to live in Patterson/Carmel/Brewster than PV. From PV to Danbury, you'd take 6 to 684 to get onto 84... you'll travel through some congested areas and it will take you a good 40 minutes each way assuming no traffic. There are ways to get into Danbury without being on the highway but the sheer distance is working against you before you even get to the point where you need to navigate around 84.

If you end up buying a home, it makes way more sense to buy in CT. Otherwise, it's a wash - taxes are higher in NY, rents are higher in CT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBern View Post
I don't have to live in Putnam Valley, but my lady will likely be working in White Plains, so I wanted to be close to the Taconic. I could be close to 684 alternatively, but prefer the Taconic. We looked in Somers but I don't want to live in Westchester and its too crowded for us. I will have to check out Carmel. Brewster was not our cup of tea.

I don't mind the commute, but is there anything wrong with Putnam Valley that its not recommended? Or is it just the distance? We know some people there, it looks nice, and could get a reasonable apartment there.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:16 AM

Have you driven from Putnam Valley to Danbury yet? I suggest doing it a couple of times before deciding on living there. I've had to drive to Mahopac a few times from the Danbury area - it's a can't-get-there-from-here type of commute and not an easy drive in bad weather either.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:20 AM

660 posts, read 658,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I don't have to live in Putnam Valley, but my lady will likely be working in White Plains, so I wanted to be close to the Taconic. I could be close to 684 alternatively, but prefer the Taconic. We looked in Somers but I don't want to live in Westchester and its too crowded for us. I will have to check out Carmel. Brewster was not our cup of tea.

I don't mind the commute, but is there anything wrong with Putnam Valley that its not recommended? Or is it just the distance? We know some people there, it looks nice, and could get a reasonable apartment there.
Habe you looked into Bedford Hills? More and more people are discovering these nothern counties and traffic is getting worse day by day. Bedford Hills is right on the train line to White Plains and to Danbury would be a reverse commute.

Go post this on the CT board also.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Have you driven from Putnam Valley to Danbury yet? I suggest doing it a couple of times before deciding on living there. I've had to drive to Mahopac a few times from the Danbury area - it's a can't-get-there-from-here type of commute and not an easy drive in bad weather either.
Good advice. I will try it.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:58 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,389,284 times
Sometimes westchester taxes can be lower than putnam. I live in cortlandt on the border of out valley. I pay 5 grand, my neighbors with same size house lot in put valley pay 8 grand.
Btw put valley is way out of way of danbury. Homes and taxes are less in dutchess near 684. At that point why not just live in ct?

Last edited by grouse789; 04-04-2016 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-04-2016, 08:14 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,202,498 times
Since GF work in White Plains and you in Danbury, you should try to stay as close as possible to 684. Route 6, which both of you would most likely use to go to work from PV, would suck during rush hour.

Carmel, Kent Lakes would probably be 30-40 minutes on rush-hour for GF.

About Brewster -- It's downtown is somewhat shady. The other Brewster blends in with Patterson, and around Putnam Lake, which is a stones-throw from New Fairfield CT.

I think you'll find Carmel similar in vibe to Putnam Valley, but almost equidistant for you and GF. It is true though that taxes in CT are somewhat less, however that would put your GF at a commute disadvantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York