Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM

78 posts, read 437,112 times

Advertisements

I apologize in advance if you see this message on other boards. I am desperate to get help. Many of you have answered my questions in the past, and I appreciate it.

We are a young family of four and VERY middle class. We don't make a lot of money, but enough to where I am able to stay at home with our two children.

We currently live in VA, and although we have met some wonderful people, we aren't happy with the area at all. There just isn't enough to do, especially for children, unless we go out to eat or go to church. We have researched places that we would love to live, but EVERYWHERE that we are considering is too expensive. I'm hoping someone knows of an affordable alternative. These are the things we are looking for:

Good public schools, low crime. We need a place that is affordable. We were very interested in either Ithaca, NY or Milford, CT. The thing that we like about Ithaca is that it is so liberal and there is so much to do, but it is just too expensive. I'm afraid that we would have to buy so far out of Ithaca that we wouldn't enjoy it, because we just can't afford to live in Ithaca.

I really want us to move into a neighborhood with a lot of families and where we are not having to drive far to get into some type of town center. We will not have family anywhere near us and don't want to be in a place where it is terribly hard to meet families like ourselves. As we moved from the UK, we are quite used to "character" in the buildings. We love that about New England, plenty of character around Milford. Please help us find a solution! We will renting the first two years, and then hope to buy a house that is no more expensive than $200,000.

We just can't afford these places that we are interested in. We need more affordable options.

Please help us find our dream place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:12 AM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
Have you thought about Bingahamton, NY or Watertown, NY? I personally thought Ithaca was dirty when I went there to visit friends that went to college there. Watertown has a lot of winter activities and in the summer the lake is beautiful. Plus Syracuse a nice size city is about 50 minutes south. You could always look into living somewhere in between the two cities of Syracuse and Watertown maybe Adams, Adams Center or Pulaski?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 AM

118 posts, read 626,827 times
UKUSMom,

It would help to know if you are limited to areas where your husband would need to find work? Does he work from home? etc etc....

If you don't have to worry about employment, your options are going to be much more.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:16 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I think Rochester could fit your bill. The city of Rochester has absolutely everything you mentioned with the exception of good public schools. Lots of old houses with tons of charecter in safe neighborhoods. The only thing is the public schools in the city aren't very good. Schools are EXCELLENT in the suburbs and you can still find very decent homes in your pricerange with TONS of family activities. There are SOME older homes in the suburbs but most homes were built in the 1960's or later. There will be more job opportunities with better pay in Rocheter than in Binghamton, Watertown or any of the smaller NY cities/towns as well. Ithica is about 2 hours south of Rochester.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 PM

969 posts, read 2,072,798 times
If you're talking affordable, Jamestown in western NY is hard to beat. $200K will get you a very nice home in this area, heck $100K or less can get you a very nice home. The hard part would be finding a good job, the economy here is struggling (but this is true for much of NY). It is a scenic area with good outdoor activities, nearby Chautauqua Lake is very nice. You are also very close to Lake Erie, Buffalo, and Erie, PA.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 AM

88 posts, read 530,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukusmom View Post
Good public schools, low crime. We need a place that is affordable. We were very interested in either Ithaca, NY or Milford, CT. The thing that we like about Ithaca is that it is so liberal and there is so much to do, but it is just too expensive.

I really want us to move into a neighborhood with a lot of families and where we are not having to drive far to get into some type of town center. We will not have family anywhere near us and don't want to be in a place where it is terribly hard to meet families like ourselves. As we moved from the UK, we are quite used to "character" in the buildings. We love that about New England, plenty of character around Milford. Please help us find a solution! We will renting the first two years, and then hope to buy a house that is no more expensive than $200,000.
I know you said that you were looking for a place near NY. Does that mean near NYC? If so, than Ithaca is completely out... (so is Binghamton, Watertown, Rochester & Jamestown for that matter). Ithaca is like 4 hours away (Binghamton - 3hours away, Watertown- 5 hours away, Rochester- 5 & ½ hours & Jamestown- 6 & ½ hours)

Might I suggest Dutchess, Orange or Ulster Counties.

Dutchess and Orange County are right across from each other (along the Hudson River) and you are looking at under 2 hours away from NYC. Both have plenty of family friendly small towns, with good schools and convenient shopping.

Ulster County is one county north of Duchess. It has the same small towns, family-friendly appeal with a little longer commute to the city (still under 2 & ½ hours). Lots of old homes there with that maintain their original/ antique feel.

I hope this was somewhat helpful )

Old 02-13-2008, 10:42 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,466 times
I didnt read anything in the post about NEAR NY...am I missing something? Anyhow, I think for 200K or less you can pretty much buy anywhere. I guess you need to think more about what type of weather you would like, size of town, work for you/husband? Along the lake BUffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Watetown you are going to get a lot of snow...places like Plattsburg and Bingahampton dont get as much. I have never been to Plattsburg, but I hear it is nice up there in Lake Champlain area near vermont.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:58 PM

88 posts, read 530,463 times
Default Fyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njrover0216 View Post
I didnt read anything in the post about NEAR NY...am I missing something?
My mistake, I thought it was the in the title of the original post, but it actually said "in NY"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York