U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 4,509 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be PCSing to West Point and I have been trying to get an idea of where I should focus on house hunting. I'm a single female in my late 20s and I would prefer to live in a safe city within a 30 min commute to West Point and has plenty of restaurants, entertainment, and would hopefully be close to a train station to go into NYC.

I was looking for a 2bed/1.5+ bath place and a backyard would be great for my pup-$1500 to $2000 range.

I've been told to stay away from Newburgh because it is unsafe. Some recommendations I have received include Cornwall, Cold Spring, and Monroe but it's been difficult trying to get a read on these areas.

Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 AM

4,301 posts, read 2,327,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkysilu View Post
Hello! I will be PCSing to West Point and I have been trying to get an idea of where I should focus on house hunting. I'm a single female in my late 20s and I would prefer to live in a safe city within a 30 min commute to West Point and has plenty of restaurants, entertainment, and would hopefully be close to a train station to go into NYC.

I was looking for a 2bed/1.5+ bath place and a backyard would be great for my pup-$1500 to $2000 range.

I've been told to stay away from Newburgh because it is unsafe. Some recommendations I have received include Cornwall, Cold Spring, and Monroe but it's been difficult trying to get a read on these areas.

Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated!
I'd go with Cornwall or Cold Spring. Avoid Peekskill, we lived there for 30 years, although it's not quite there it's following in Newburgh's footsteps. Which is a shame as it once was a beautiful place along the Hudson. There are some nice parts of it, but you do not have to go too far to be in the not so nice parts. There are at least one or more run down homes in most of it's neighborhoods. A lot of litter and illegal invaders. The schools are also pretty bad, which was a contributing factor as to why it took us over 3 years to sell our home. You'll get people who will defend it as being "artsy" or "funky" to use their terminology, but it is what it is.

Poughkeepsie and Beacon are other places to avoid. I took tractor trailer lessons throughout that area, it too is pretty run down for the most part.

West Point and it's surrounding area is awesome! What more can I say? You might want to also consider Garrison. Restaurants? Entertainment? Can't help you there, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:55 AM

10,496 posts, read 10,941,183 times
There are no real cities per say in that area other than Newburg and even that has nice areas, hasn't the base housing office been able to provide any direction where to look? The towns you mentioned are fine but they are just that small towns with the Newburgh area being the main shopping/eating area. Good luck on your new assignment maybe their is a base blog of some type where people stationed there can give you some straight information. Also look closely at a map and you'll realize that getting over the mountains to shop or live is limited to a few roads that can be challenging in the winter.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 AM

63,269 posts, read 88,759,572 times
Perhaps Beacon across the Hudson River or the Nyack area in Rockland County as well. Both may be slightly over 30 minutes from West Point, but they offer a degree of nightlife and walkability. Beacon has gone through some revitalization and Nyack is a generally fine and diverse community.

Besides these communities and those already mentioned, Highland Falls not far from West Point may be another option.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:04 PM

63,269 posts, read 88,759,572 times
Here is some information about traveling from Nyack and Beacon into NYC: How to Travel Between Nyack and New York City – Life at Nyack

MTA.info

Old 04-11-2016, 03:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Perhaps Beacon across the Hudson River or the Nyack area in Rockland County as well. Both may be slightly over 30 minutes from West Point, but they offer a degree of nightlife and walkability. Beacon has gone through some revitalization and Nyack is a generally fine and diverse community.

Besides these communities and those already mentioned, Highland Falls not far from West Point may be another option.
Thank you for your answer! I was thinking of Beacon but I keep seeing mixed reviews about the area. Is it safe? Since its across the river, is there a toll bridge? How's traffic across the bridge?

Old 04-11-2016, 04:12 AM

715 posts, read 2,255,246 times
Beacon and Cold Spring would probably both suit -- though travel from either, by car, on the snowiest of winter days to West Point would be problematic.

As for the bridge, its $1.50 in the east bound direction; you'd pay that once a day... traffic can be rough during peak commute times, mostly due to Beacon MNRR commuters. Can take 20 minutes to cross on the busiest days, but that is the exception, not the rule.

For a potentially less hectic commuting experience you might look into Cornwall or Washingtonville more seriously. Monroe/Woodbury might be worth a look but have a search on the forum for the vast array of opinions on that area

I wouldn't recommend crossing the bridge everyday unless you absolutely have to. MNRR has stations at Salisbury Mills/Cornwall and Harriman with service to NYC via Secaucus.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,319 times
Default Me too!

I spent a couple of days driving all over that area last month, as I just got a job at West Point myself (though I'm a civilian)--I start in June.

That area is quite devoid of what I'd call "cities". There are lots of towns and villages, but it's really quite rural. I didn't spend much time in Newburgh, because I'd pretty much ruled it out. Beacon looked nice when I drove through it, and if you're commuting to West Point it would be a reverse commute (of probably a half hour). I'm not sure about "plenty of restaurants and entertainment"; granted I didn't look for them but I didn't really see much of anything other than weekend farmer's markets sorts of things (and lots of people parked along roads to go hiking in the mountains--it was a nice weekend). It's not exactly a cutting-edge area for culture overall; that's what NYC is for! Peekskill is just a bit too close to Indian Point for my comfort, though I do plan to catch Metro-North there when I go into the city on weekends. I also didn't want to commute over bridges in the winter; I drive over a 2-mile long bridge now to get to work, and even in the South without ice when the winds kick up in the winter it gets a bit hairy.

Cornwall and New Windsor are nice, pretty much, and if you go more west you can be on another train line to NYC (although that one is longer, requires a change of trains in Secaucus, and drops you at Penn Station instead of Grand Central). However, Storm King Mountain is a big old thing, and the road connecting West Point with points north is pretty steeply up and down. I'm out of practice driving in snow, and I no longer have my Subaru, so I found a place in Highland Falls. Others drive it no problem, but I figured my first year I'd want to be close in.

Having a dog will make things more difficult; there are a lot fewer apartments available and you'll almost certainly wind up paying more. I have a cat, and some landlords told me that while they'd consider a cat they wouldn't rent to someone with a dog due to possible damage and lawsuits.

Feel free to ask me for more details. I'd really suggest a combination of craigslist, AHRN and anybody you know at West Point to get leads on places (my boss-to-be forwarded me a bunch of posts from an internal bulletin board, and that's where I found the place I rented). Good luck!

Oh--as you probably know, on-base housing won't work unless you're making a lot more money than I am or you have a spouse or someone else to supplement your income: it's mostly geared toward larger families, and I don't think there's anything smaller than a three-bedroom (and I was quoted something like $2700/month--um, no).

Last edited by dr.fosca; 04-13-2016 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention base housing!

Old 04-13-2016, 09:42 AM

666 posts, read 654,891 times
That Blonde Banana blog was hilarious. She calls the Palisades cliffs in Rockland "mountains".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or