Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 PM

31 posts, read 157,379 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Suffern with our sons. Wondering what the atmosphere is like and what the schools are like. Our sons are not into sports so much, they are into music. Is it a family friendly place? Is there shopping, and restaurants? Would love to hear what you know about it if you have been there. Thank you.

Movin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 06:56 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,493 times
Default Suffern

Being from nearby NJ, I decided to take a Sunday drive just across the stateline into Suffern. I drove throughout Suffern and developed a general feel for the town. While I cannot give you detailed information, I will let you know what I observed. First, do I consider Suffern a good place to live? Yes, but I am someone who wouldn't mind a blue-collar town. It definetly is a working class town but is by no means "urban." It is a pretty safe place to live and I would not be afraid to send my kids to school there...however, I am refering in terms of their personal safety...I do not know what the quality of the education is. Suffern is part of the more expensive Rockland County NYC Metro area. It is not going to be cheap but compared to NJ, you should be able to find a somewhat affordable home; especially if you consider buying one of the many older (some Victorian) homes that are found in town. Downtown Suffern is full of small Mom and Pop shops that look like they have seen better days. Nevertheless, there is a lot of decent shopping in the nearby areas. Head on 87 East and you will soon reach one of the largest shopping malls in the country at Nyack within 20 minutes drive. Even closer is a Wal-Mart at Airmont and a large Barnes and Noble at Nanuet. If you do not like the higher sales tax in NYS, then you can always drive no more than 30 minutes to an almost endless amount of shopping areas in Paramus. However, do not let all of my talk of shopping areas think that you not far from peace and quiet. The southern boundary of the 40,000+ acre Harriman State Park will be nearby along with other wild places in the Ramapo Mountains...you will sort of have the best of both worlds. As for transportation, there is a passanger train service to NYC, although you will have to transfer in Secaucus or Hoboken NJ. If you want a more direct route, it will not be too hard to find out about the direct bus service that I know as a fact goes to Suffern (I saw the bus on my sunday drive).

However, let state this point one last time...If you are from a big dirty city, Suffern will give you a high quality of life. However, if you are from a more affluent community, Suffern will seem a bit run-down or maybe even poor. I do not know what type of community you are looking for but if Suffern does not appeal to you there are plenty of other different communities in the nearby area.

If you have any other questions for me...DM or post a reply. I hope this is of use to you.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,410 times
Suffern is a really great family place to live. We moved from Brooklyn. We are both artists/designers and we've been here 5 years. We have 2 girls and our oldest daughter is starting Kindergarten this year and I have only heard positive things about the schools.

We always feel so lucky because in an hour we can
be in the mountains or at the beach or in the best city in the world.

So some pros of Suffern NY are...

GREAT location
Close to nature mountains and parks and all of the Hudson Valley towns
Close to conveniences/shopping
Close to the best city in the world
Close to the ocean
Great schools (full day Kindergarten and a UPK program)
Great farmers market right in town
Walkable downtown, (needs some help but alot of people are invested in seeing the town improve)
More affordable than most towns/suburbs around NYC and NJ
Very family friendly
Awesome new library with a great children's floor and programs
Nice normal working class people

Things could also be changing for the town (for the better?) because of the one seat New Jersey Transit Train ride into NYC that is going to be completed in 7 to 8 years.

Yay Suffern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York