Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 3,607 times

Advertisements

Hello! My partner and I are interested in moving to Ithaca and starting a homestead. We would like recommendations for which areas outside of Ithaca fit the following criteria:

-Organic minded (organic gardeners, natural food stores)
-Off-grid living
-Home schooling community/support
-Liberal political views

Thank you all for your help!
Ryan and James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmarie View Post
Hello! My partner and I are interested in moving to Ithaca and starting a homestead. We would like recommendations for which areas outside of Ithaca fit the following criteria:

-Organic minded (organic gardeners, natural food stores)
-Off-grid living
-Home schooling community/support
-Liberal political views

Thank you all for your help!
Ryan and James
Ecovillage at Ithaca | Website for Ecovillage at Ithaca and its educational non-profit Learn@EcovillageIthaca

https://stonequarryhouse.com/eco-fri...-homesteading/

Homesteader’s Network – Groundswell Center for Local Food & Farming

Living Ithaca • Living frugally in a small town in Upstate NY.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:33 PM

93,216 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I guess if you are looking for specific areas, perhaps the Trumansburg area, Caroline, Newfield, Enfield and maybe even parts of the town of Ithaca.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:17 AM

172 posts, read 846,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I guess if you are looking for specific areas, perhaps the Trumansburg area, Caroline, Newfield, Enfield and maybe even parts of the town of Ithaca.
I agree with most of what ckhthankgod wrote. Caroline has a strong off-the-grid movement, Newfield and Enfield not as much but still present, and perhaps even the part of Ulysses further from the lake and Trumansburg. Otherwise there is not a strong off-the-grid presence or push in other communities near and around Ithaca.

I think it works in Caroline because the hilly land there doesn't lend itself well to large farm operations, they aren't too heavy-handed with the land-use and property regulations, and the town leans hard left without being thickly settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York