Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 11:25 AM

173 posts, read 180,257 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We (husband and I) are planning a road trip throughout the great lakes. We are hoping to leave Seattle and start a retail business in our new town. He would like a general/hardware store and I would love a pet shop, so it depends on what the area needs and what we can compete with. We are excited to have real snow! I think we will have the best luck with the great lakes/ coastal areas. From my online research the economy does concern me a bit, not sure if this is exaggerated.

We are looking for:

lower cost of living -buying a house in the 75k range
community neighbors help neighbors vibe
safe
hopefully near water
where we can start a business and be involved with the community
Not to hot in summer - 80 kills us

What areas do you think should be on our must visit list?

Currently on the list is WI Madison-Milwaukee, Western coast MI, ME and now NY. If you have other recommendations let us know! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM

92,053 posts, read 122,237,106 times
I posted some suggestions in the other forum, but I would also look at small towns not too far from the bigger metro areas that aren't too far from the Great Lakes. For instance, I think that the Brockport suggestion is a very good one.

You may also like small towns/cities in the Finger Lakes region in between Rochester and Syracuse. Canandaigua is a place that comes to mind, as it has around 10-11,000 in the city and fits the population criteria you mentioned in the other thread of around 5-10,000. It is in an area that has seen some population growth as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Here is another possibility: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9046...8i6656!6m1!1e1

28 E Wright Ave, Waterloo Village Waterloo, NY 13165
89 Virginia St, Waterloo Village Waterloo, NY 13165

Waterloo, NY | Birthplace of Memorial Day
Waterloo Central School District

While under 5000 people, this village would be a great fit due to its affluence, it is on a lake and very good schools: 24 Farnham Street, Cazenovia Village, NY 13035

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9298...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Cazenovia CSD
Village of Cazenovia

Another village just under 5000, but is right next to I-90, Sylvan Beach/Oneida Lake, Syracuse/Utica and Rome, as well as the Oneida Nation. It is also home to the International Boxing Hall of Fame: 112 Caroline St, Canastota Village, NY 13032
524 S Main St, Canastota Village, NY 13032
106 Pleasant St, Canastota Village, NY 13032

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0780...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Village of Canastota, NY
Canastota Central School District / Homepage

Hopefully, others will chime in.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:25 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,091,509 times
Starting a new business or businesses in a small town where you are a stranger is very risky. Unlike the very cosmopolitan Seattle, small town families tend to have known each other for many generations, making it difficult to break into their social circles and gain their trust.

It's much better to buy an existing business in a larger town with a history of profitable operation. Townsfolk will usually continue to patronize an existing business unless the new owners behave badly and let the business operation and service deteriorate.

There are many categories of businesses for sale, so don't confine yourselves to hardware and or pet stores. See link below.

BizBuySell - The Internet's Largest Business for Sale & Franchise for Sale Marketplace

Also many towns in the midwest and northeast have been hit hard economically by factory closings. And you should know that it can get very hot and humid in the midwest and northeast in the summer and mosquitos, gnats and ticks are always a problem.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:33 PM

173 posts, read 180,257 times
Thank you! All this information is quite useful. I really like Brockport and think it could be a great fit. The links are great and its surprising to me how much you can get for your money! Do you think in terms of economy it is beneficial to be towards either Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabf View Post
Thank you! All this information is quite useful. I really like Brockport and think it could be a great fit. The links are great and its surprising to me how much you can get for your money! Do you think in terms of economy it is beneficial to be towards either Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse?
I would say Rochester, but it depends on the community too. For instance, Cazenovia is relatively affluent or has some relative affluence and is about 25 minutes or so east of Syracuse. So, you may be able to set up shop in a small town with a relatively good amount of spending opportunity/power and be within close proximity to a bigger city.

Brockport is on the Erie Canal and has a state college within the village. It is also about 20-25 minutes west of Rochester. So, you again are within close proximity to a bigger city.

Canandaigua is in a school district that is growing and right on Canandaigua Lake. It is also within a reasonable drive from Rochester and is close to the population criteria.

I would also research needs of these towns, as that could help determine where to narrow the search to.

As for other smaller communities that may fit due to size and economic reasons are Geneseo, Hamilton, Corning, Victor, Baldwinsville, Seneca Falls and Fredonia. I say this because there should be a decent amount of people with spreading power due to being places with colleges(Hamilton, Geneseo and Fredonia), have a pretty strong industry base(Corning and Seneca Falls) or are villages within a growing Greater area(Victor and Baldwinsville), while possibly having homes near that range. There are just off the top of my head, but there are probably others I haven't mentioned. All except for Corning, Hamilton and perhaps Fredonia are within a reasonable drive from a bigger city.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-14-2016 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-14-2016, 11:11 PM

East Rochester may be another community to look into: Property Search Results

The Town/Village of East Rochester, New York
East Rochester Union Free School District

Old 05-15-2016, 12:04 AM

These listings are in villages north of Syracuse: Property Search Results

Old 05-15-2016, 06:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,144,030 times
I think that you might consider a couple of areas in Chautauqua County if your housing budget is < $100k.
  • The Dunkirk/Fredonia area is about 40 miles south of Buffalo just off I-90 and right on Lake Erie, with Fredonia being a college town (Fredonia State) and Dunkirk is a small city (about 10k population). The Athenenex corporation is building a major manufacturing facility in this area, so there's going to be some growth in northern Chautauqua County.
  • Further south is Jamestown-Lakewood-Falconer area, which is at the southern end of Chautauqua Lake along Route 394 and just off I-86. It's about 30 miles south of Dunkirk/Fredonia and about 45-50 east of Erie, PA. This is the largest population area in the county, about 50k. It has an influx of summer residents/tourists because of the lake and the world famous Chautauqua Institute.
At the southern end of Cayuga Lake is Ithaca, which is a beautiful college town dominated by Cornell University, but it might be too expensive for your budget. The relatively nearby cities and villages of Cortland, Elmira, Corning, Watkins Glen, and even Hammondsport might be friendlier to your budget.

I second Wells5's suggestion about looking into buying an existing business.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 AM

969 posts, read 2,059,865 times
On top of the above, some additional areas I'd recommend:
- Mayville (village), on Chautauqua Lake, near Lake Erie, big snow, easy drive to Erie/Buff
- Naples (village), near Canandaigua Lake, reasonably close to Rochester
- Penn Yann (village), on Keuka Lake, near Seneca Lake
- Geneva (small city), on Seneca Lake, easy drive to Rochester/Syracuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York