Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 06:59 AM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
good to know. i'm going to begin my search for an apartment soon after I figure out where majority of my accounts are. I heard that Utica has a high crime rate? is that true?
Utica has its range of good and rough neighborhoods like any city. It isn't going to make any top 10, 20 or even 50 list for crime outside of the state, but there are incidents that occur there as well.

It is a city of about 60,000, that is quite culturally diverse and a nightlife district can be found on Varick Street near its Downtown. It is about 50 minutes-an hour from Syracuse and an hour and 15 minutes from Albany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 04:18 PM

Another thing to consider is that the central portion of that territory will have a little bit lower COL. Utica-Rome has the lowest COL in the NY portion of the I-90 corridor, with Syracuse next. You will have stand alone smaller places that may work, but it would be a big adjustment from L.A. That may be something you are looking for though.

Old 06-19-2016, 05:40 PM

252 posts, read 348,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another thing to consider is that the central portion of that territory will have a little bit lower COL. Utica-Rome has the lowest COL in the NY portion of the I-90 corridor, with Syracuse next. You will have stand alone smaller places that may work, but it would be a big adjustment from L.A. That may be something you are looking for though.
so i-90, that looks like the main highway that can connect me easily from buffalo, rochester, and albany? for the most part...?

Old 06-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
so i-90, that looks like the main highway that can connect me easily from buffalo, rochester, and albany? for the most part...?
Yes, it is a part of the NYS Thruway. From west to east you have Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica-Rome and then Albany-Schenectady-Troy. Buffalo is about 2 hours or so from Syracuse. This is why Syracuse's location makes it a great choice in terms of location.

This is also a toll road and I would see how this factors in, in terms of your pay.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:57 AM

Anything new?

Old 06-26-2016, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Anything new?
Nope. I've confirmed the job offer and I'll be relocating from California to New York at the beginning of August! I'm super excited.

A little scared of my 1st winter in Syracuse haha but I hope it's not as BAD as some of the things I've read online. Trying to get a list of things I'll need to buy to "winterize" my car, apartment,what types of snacks/foods I should have with me in case I ever get stuck (hope this never happens). Haha

Now, I'm just trying to narrow down places to live. I'm 90% on living somewhere in Syracuse as it's going to be in the middle of my territory.

There are a few things that came to mind, Maybe you could give some recommendations since you've provided so much great information...

1. Should i go with temp housing and hold off on apartment hunting until maybe the cooler seasons? I hear that summer is when rents usually go way up because demand is high? and then it goes down a bit when it gets a little cooler...? I don't know how true that is...

2. What's the best method of getting from Syracuse to NYC? like for a weekend trip away or something. Amtrak? or just take a flight? Aside from time difference, is there a preferred method? I don't want to drive in NYC, I know it's a straight headache.

3. what about snow removal in apartment communities? Who's responsible for removing snow? I guess more so, with parking, If the complex has an outdoor parking area, does the apartment employ companies to plow through the area? (parking area)? or is it still the renter's responsibility to remove snow?

I assume apartments with a structured/covered parking would be a different story..right?

Last edited by logix1229; 06-26-2016 at 01:43 AM..

Old 06-26-2016, 06:42 AM

In terms of #1, you may have talked to college students that rent college targeted rentals, but I have never heard of "regular" rentals having higher rates during the summer. It may happen, but I've never heard of that outside of college rentals. So, if you find something you like, then go for it.

For #2, you could do either one. Flying is faster than the train, but cost may be higher depending on when you get your tickets. There's also the bus as an option. In Syracuse, the Transportation Center has the bus and train at the same facility, while the airport is in the North Syracuse area.

For #3, the owners are responsible for plowing/shoveling the snow from my experience.

As for snow and being stuck, that is rare even during the winter, unless there is a pretty big storm. Unlike many areas that shut down due to a little bit of snow, the area has equipment to remove the snow in a timely manner. So, life goes on generally as usual during the winter. It good to be prepared due to your position, but snow is generally taken care of pretty quickly.

Given that you would be driving on the Thruway, it has its own Authority that has plows on I-90 during times of snowfall in order to keep the highway clear. I'd say to get snow tires during the winter and store your all weather tires somewhere accessible(maybe even apartment storage space) when the snow subsides.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:02 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
Nope. I've confirmed the job offer and I'll be relocating from California to New York at the beginning of August! I'm super excited.

A little scared of my 1st winter in Syracuse haha but I hope it's not as BAD as some of the things I've read online. Trying to get a list of things I'll need to buy to "winterize" my car, apartment,what types of snacks/foods I should have with me in case I ever get stuck (hope this never happens). Haha

Now, I'm just trying to narrow down places to live. I'm 90% on living somewhere in Syracuse as it's going to be in the middle of my territory.

There are a few things that came to mind, Maybe you could give some recommendations since you've provided so much great information...

1. Should i go with temp housing and hold off on apartment hunting until maybe the cooler seasons? I hear that summer is when rents usually go way up because demand is high? and then it goes down a bit when it gets a little cooler...? I don't know how true that is...

2. What's the best method of getting from Syracuse to NYC? like for a weekend trip away or something. Amtrak? or just take a flight? Aside from time difference, is there a preferred method? I don't want to drive in NYC, I know it's a straight headache.

3. what about snow removal in apartment communities? Who's responsible for removing snow? I guess more so, with parking, If the complex has an outdoor parking area, does the apartment employ companies to plow through the area? (parking area)? or is it still the renter's responsibility to remove snow?

I assume apartments with a structured/covered parking would be a different story..right?
#2: Drive. Take 81 South to 380 S to 80 E, to 33 South to 78 East. Then park in Hoboken or Jersey city and take a Path train. Easiest, cheapest way to see NYC. Don't park or drive into the city- its too expensive and frustrating. Or drive to Staten Island and take the ferry, which is free.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
#2: Drive. Take 81 South to 380 S to 80 E, to 33 South to 78 East. Then park in Hoboken or Jersey city and take a Path train. Easiest, cheapest way to see NYC. Don't park or drive into the city- its too expensive and frustrating. Or drive to Staten Island and take the ferry, which is free.
Quote:
In terms of #1, you may have talked to college students that rent college targeted rentals, but I have never heard of "regular" rentals having higher rates during the summer. It may happen, but I've never heard of that outside of college rentals. So, if you find something you like, then go for it.

For #2, you could do either one. Flying is faster than the train, but cost may be higher depending on when you get your tickets. There's also the bus as an option. In Syracuse, the Transportation Center has the bus and train at the same facility, while the airport is in the North Syracuse area.

For #3, the owners are responsible for plowing/shoveling the snow from my experience.

As for snow and being stuck, that is rare even during the winter, unless there is a pretty big storm. Unlike many areas that shut down due to a little bit of snow, the area has equipment to remove the snow in a timely manner. So, life goes on generally as usual during the winter. It good to be prepared due to your position, but snow is generally taken care of pretty quickly.

Given that you would be driving on the Thruway, it has its own Authority that has plows on I-90 during times of snowfall in order to keep the highway clear. I'd say to get snow tires during the winter and store your all weather tires somewhere accessible(maybe even apartment storage space) when the snow subsides.
Thanks for the info. I only asked because here in LA, rent tends to jump a few hundred dollars in the summer when demand is high and then when christmas comes around, rents tend to drop. Maybe this doesn't happen in upstate new york as much as bigger city metro areas like LA, SF, Chicago, etc.

Also, thanks for the info on the snow removal and best way to get into NYC. I'll post more questions as they come to mind.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:54 PM

Here is a street view of the Transportation Center, which is in between Destiny USA(the 6th biggest shopping center in the US) and NBT Bank Stadium(minor league baseball stadium): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...692379!6m1!1e1

and Some other parts of the Syracuse area that may work for you or may be interested in: https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...7!4d-76.119089 (Westcott)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0684...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (Eastwood)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1021...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (village of Liverpool)
Onondaga Lake Park » Onondaga County Parks

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (village of Fayetteville)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0016...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (village of Manlius)
Home

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0570...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (North Salina Street/Little Italy)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0479...7i13312!8i6656 (Armory Square)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0505...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (Hanover Square)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0416...7i13312!8i6656 (Marshall Street/Crouse)
Home » Crouse-Marshall

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0484...7i13312!8i6656 (Tipperary Hill)
Explore Tipperary Hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-27-2016 at 03:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York