Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:52 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post

Number 1: 67% of property taxes go towards the schools. The money isn't going to lining politicians pockets, or to somebody's backyard garage, the majority of tax money is going towards comfortable classrooms with modern facilities, up to date technology which is very important in today's world, athletics and after school programs which contribute to a student's overall grooming.
The majority of school funds in NY, which come from local property taxes, as well as state and federal taxpayers, go to payroll, benefits, and retiree pension/benefits costs. Very little actually trickles down to most of the classrooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 03:39 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
The majority of school funds in NY, which come from local property taxes, as well as state and federal taxpayers, go to payroll, benefits, and retiree pension/benefits costs. Very little actually trickles down to most of the classrooms.
Or teachers, who tend to have more levels of education than teachers in many other states due to educational requirements in order to teach in NYS. This has a lot to do with the payroll aspect.

There's also the number of school districts that plays a part in this as well.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,821,765 times
Lets say you are looking at $250k houses. The taxes in NY could be 6k. No doubt, that's a lot of money. If those taxes suddenly became $1500, like they are down South, the cost of the house would also go up commensurately with that decrease in tax. I think most parts of the US are in equilibrium- that is, it costs what it should cost based on the desirability of the area. San Francisco costs what it should and Gary Indiana costs what it should.

The real issue- wage stagnation across this country. The freelance economy doesn't pay people chit. Technology is outpacing wage growth (and we pay legacy costs from the days when there were real jobs with a pension out there). Healthcare costs. No one wants to pay a bank teller a living wage+ benefits, because no one uses bank tellers anymore, among 1000's of other jobs. So now a $6k tax bill is getting harder and harder to pay. And with the cost of everything going up, but people's wages stagnant, who the hell can pay these costs?

Old 06-02-2016, 06:04 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Doesn't payroll include teachers' salaries? I don't think classrooms teach.

School buildings in PA seem generally to be newer and fancier than in NY. I guess it's easier to convince a school board in PA to build a new Taj Mahal than voters in a NYS central school district.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
People forget that most School Districts in NY are taxing authorities and this is actually a separate tax from Property Tax even though it's all referred to as property tax. As for teacher requirements being more stringent they really are not, to get Tenure the teacher requires a Masters Degree that is the motivator for them it's the golden ticket. Surprisingly there are really good school districts in many other states and the residents aren't taxed into oblivion to provide them, I wonder how everyone else is able to do it....

Old 06-02-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
People forget that most School Districts in NY are taxing authorities and this is actually a separate tax from Property Tax even though it's all referred to as property tax. As for teacher requirements being more stringent they really are not, to get Tenure the teacher requires a Masters Degree that is the motivator for them it's the golden ticket. Surprisingly there are really good school districts in many other states and the residents aren't taxed into oblivion to provide them, I wonder how everyone else is able to do it....
I believe that in many other states, teachers just need a Bachelor's degree and that is it or those teaching at certain levels may need a Master's degree. It all depends on the state and a person with a Master's degree is going to warrant more money. That means that the tax payers are going to pay more.

School district structure also plays a part in this, as I mentioned earlier. So, if you have a county school district, the costs for tax payers is spread out. Pay become an issue in some cases, if there aren't adjustments in regards to "responsibility", as an example.

Also, for others, so they don't get confused, when you see the tax listed in home listings, it includes the overall property tax. So, the school tax is already roughly factored in and any potential exemptions are not factored in.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that in many other states, teachers just need a Bachelor's degree and that is it or those teaching at certain levels may need a Master's degree. It all depends on the state and a person with a Master's degree is going to warrant more money. That means that the tax payers are going to pay more.

School district structure also plays a part in this, as I mentioned earlier. So, if you have a county school district, the costs for tax payers is spread out. Pay become an issue in some cases, if there aren't adjustments in regards to "responsibility", as an example.

Also, for others, so they don't get confused, when you see the tax listed in home listings, it includes the overall property tax. So, the school tax is already roughly factored in and any potential exemptions are not factored in.
My point is to get Tenure a teacher has to have the Masters, that's the motivator. Most start with a bachelors but have to complete the next step or no golden ticket.

County districts are great but rare in NY, either way the taxing authorities get you coming and going up there.

An honest realtor does show the true tax obligation but I have seen many that list just the property taxes.. I also feel that you place too much emphasis on potential exemption which many if not most will not qualify for. Ultimately the tax burden placed on a resident is unreasonable and I have yet to read a post on any of the NY boards where someone finds the tax obligation not to be egregious.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
My point is to get Tenure a teacher has to have the Masters, that's the motivator. Most start with a bachelors but have to complete the next step or no golden ticket.

County districts are great but rare in NY, either way the taxing authorities get you coming and going up there.

An honest realtor does show the true tax obligation but I have seen many that list just the property taxes.. I also feel that you place too much emphasis on potential exemption which many if not most will not qualify for. Ultimately the tax burden placed on a resident is unreasonable and I have yet to read a post on any of the NY boards where someone finds the tax obligation not to be egregious.
They actually show the overall property tax obligation on listings. So, it includes the school tax as well, not just the "property" tax.

While no one is debating the tax situation, exemptions are good to know, as what may be shown is not what one will pay. Most, if not all people qualify for at least STAR and in my case, I get a Veterans exemption. If you are 65 or older, you get Enhanced STAR. I would think that those would be things that people would want to know if they are looking.

On the teaching bit, some school districts actually help for teachers to get their Master's degree. This happened for a college friend of mine that teaches in the Baldwinsville SD. So, there may be other aspects as well.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:14 AM

You place too much emphasis on star and that only helps against the school tax not the property taxes and in many counties such as your own they run very high. You can paint this any flavor you like but STAR should not be considered towards affordability any more than "well if you move to this locality vice that you'll save...." . Look at your own county Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes City property taxes are $21.40 per thousand without the school component.

If districts want to help a teach get their Masters that their business as a tax payer I wouldn't want to waste the money.
Aspects have nothing to do with it, they get a Masters then Tenure then pay at a higher level and you the taxpayer are paying for all these perks. My favorite is trying to get rid of a poor teacher, good luck if they have tenure.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You place too much emphasis on star and that only helps against the school tax not the property taxes and in many counties such as your own they run very high. You can paint this any flavor you like but STAR should not be considered towards affordability any more than "well if you move to this locality vice that you'll save...." . Look at your own county Onondaga County Department of Real Property Taxes City property taxes are $21.40 per thousand without the school component.

If districts want to help a teach get their Masters that their business as a tax payer I wouldn't want to waste the money.
Aspects have nothing to do with it, they get a Masters then Tenure then pay at a higher level and you the taxpayer are paying for all these perks. My favorite is trying to get rid of a poor teacher, good luck if they have tenure.
It isn't about an "emphasis" on STAR, but the point is to show what people are entitled to in regards to the overall property tax.

I know what the taxes are, but my point is that listings show what the overall property tax is, which includes the school tax. You can check this on any county website, which shows what the previous owner paid.

Unions can be issue in terms of teachers in NY, but you also don't want the issue that NC has in terms of poor pay for teachers either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York