Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:48 AM

93,169 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Johnson City had a sort of neighborhood shopping area along Floral Ave., in addition to downtown and whatever Harry L Drive would be called. I don't know how much is left of what was on Floral though.

I think Seneca Falls might have had an old neighborhood commercial area along Bayard St, distinct from downtown across the river.
Good catch in regards to Seneca Falls. This appears to be the area:
https://goo.gl/maps/fWDgkATRVJR2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:22 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good catch in regards to Seneca Falls. This appears to be the area:
https://goo.gl/maps/fWDgkATRVJR2
Looking at the name of one of the businesses, maybe that area's called the 3rd Ward.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Looking at the name of one of the businesses, maybe that area's called the 3rd Ward.
I think you are right.

I also thought about Solvay, which has businesses on Milton Avenue, but the there is a gap. I'm not sure if there is a name or section they are affiliated with, as it may be viewed as one business district. The areas I'm referring to: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0600...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (East Solvay?)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0614...8i6656!6m1!1e1 (West Solvay?)

With businesses like Denti Insurance, Bianchi Pizza Parlor, the Bianchi Insurance agency, A. Asicoti's Market, Bagozzi Twins Funeral Home and Pozzi's Hotel on Milton Avenue, it appears to have a small Italian population.....lol

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-06-2016 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 10:07 PM

Any others?

Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:

Very interesting RR yard layout; being next to lake, fairgrounds, etc. would be nice for a model RR.
Absent a model RR, do you think they (SYR/Solvay) would let people come "play with the trains"?

I had to search "(Central) Business District" to see how others define them; what criteria constitutes a "business district" vs a mixed/residential neighbourhood with some businesses in it.

The problem with a "business district" definition is that there will always be exceptions and, perhaps, room for interpretation.

Rather, I think a list of criteria is a better idea; a list in which a "business district" would have to meet, say, 75% of the listed criteria. Such a list might help determine whether a neighbourhood with a strip mall in it would qualify as a "business district", as well as, determine what communities don't have a "business district" (if that's possible).

Old 06-21-2016, 12:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
I think you are right. There is Downtown, with perhaps Little Italy/North Endicott and I believe West Endicott.
Is there a community of Italian immigrants in Endicott?

I'm also curious about something since it seems to be in your field of expertise, the most recent census shows Binghamton as only being about 12% black, but whenever I'm in Binghamton, it seems like at least 1/3 of the people I see are black. Could it be that there was a growth in the black population since 2010, or is it that the black population is concentrated in the West Side closer to JC? But then again I also saw a similar mix of people in the downtown area.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Is there a community of Italian immigrants in Endicott?

I'm also curious about something since it seems to be in your field of expertise, the most recent census shows Binghamton as only being about 12% black, but whenever I'm in Binghamton, it seems like at least 1/3 of the people I see are black. Could it be that there was a growth in the black population since 2010, or is it that the black population is concentrated in the West Side closer to JC? But then again I also saw a similar mix of people in the downtown area.
I think it is a combination of the residential patterns, as the Black population has historically been north of Main Street in the First Ward and just north and east of Downtown. There is a concentration in the SE portion the city too.

Also, Johnson City, especially around its Main Street/Central JC has quite a few Black residents. Same with Endicott. You some sprinkled around in Endwell, Vestal, Owego and the Chenango Valley, Chenango Forks and Susquehanna Valley SD's.

I think there may be an increase since 2010 as well. So, it may be a mix. BTW- Binghamton High is about 27-31% Black, depending on who you include and that may have something to do with what you see, as the HS is near Downtown. Binghamton High School - Public School

More: Search For Schools and Colleges

As for Endicott, it is known for having a pretty high Italian population(about 20-25% claim ancestry). They have a Little Italy area in North Endicott, but I'm not sure if it still attracts some Italian immigrants. You may have some that still speak Italian, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-21-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 06-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
Very interesting RR yard layout; being next to lake, fairgrounds, etc. would be nice for a model RR.
Absent a model RR, do you think they (SYR/Solvay) would let people come "play with the trains"?

I had to search "(Central) Business District" to see how others define them; what criteria constitutes a "business district" vs a mixed/residential neighbourhood with some businesses in it.

The problem with a "business district" definition is that there will always be exceptions and, perhaps, room for interpretation.

Rather, I think a list of criteria is a better idea; a list in which a "business district" would have to meet, say, 75% of the listed criteria. Such a list might help determine whether a neighbourhood with a strip mall in it would qualify as a "business district", as well as, determine what communities don't have a "business district" (if that's possible).
I guess a better way of thinking of it is in term of a Main Street type of business district versus a strip mall/plaza.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I think it is a combination of the residential patterns, as the Black population has historically been north of Main Street in the First Ward and just north and east of Downtown. There is a concentration in the SE portion the city too.

Also, Johnson City, especially around its Main Street/Central JC has quite a few Black residents. Same with Endicott. You some sprinkled around in Endwell, Vestal, Owego and the Chenango Valley, Chenango Forks and Susquehanna Valley SD's.

I think there may be an increase since 2010 as well. So, it may be a mix. BTW- Binghamton High is about 27-31% Black, depending on who you include and that may have something to do with what you see, as the HS is near Downtown. Binghamton High School - Public School

More: Search For Schools and Colleges

As for Endicott, it is known for having a pretty high Italian population(about 20-25% claim ancestry). They have a Little Italy area in North Endicott, but I'm not sure if it still attracts some Italian immigrants. You may have some that still speak Italian, but don't quote me on that.
Here is some information on this area: Little Italy Endicott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York