Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 02:09 PM

91,980 posts, read 122,078,964 times

Advertisements

Just curious, but would you be open to other places? I only ask because parts of the bigger cities, including what I call mid major Upstate cities like Utica, Binghamton, Schenectady, Troy, etc may work.

Smaller cities/towns with a college may work, as could a city like Corning due to the corporate influence there. Corning's Gaffer District

UrbanCorning | Events, Info, and Fun in Corning, NY

I know that Auburn has an arts scene with Schweinfurth Art Gallery, the Auburn Public Theater and the Merry Go Round Theater at Emerson Park. It has seen quite a bit of revitalization in its Downtown as well, including some newer restaurants/bars. Auburn Downtown BID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but would you be open to other places? I only ask because parts of the bigger cities, including what I call mid major Upstate cities like Utica, Binghamton, Schenectady, Troy, etc may work.

Smaller cities/towns with a college may work, as could a city like Corning due to the corporate influence there. Corning's Gaffer District

UrbanCorning | Events, Info, and Fun in Corning, NY

I know that Auburn has an arts scene with Schweinfurth Art Gallery, the Auburn Public Theater and the Merry Go Round Theater at Emerson Park. It has seen quite a bit of revitalization in its Downtown as well, including some newer restaurants/bars. Auburn Downtown BID
Geneva may be another small city that could work, as it has a nice, walkable Downtown with an arts scene. There are diverse food options as well. Geneva | Uniquely Urban

Downtown Geneva, New York 14456 - The Difference is Downtown!

Geneva Arts Development Council – Art, Music, Dance, Theatre & Movies

Smith Center for the Arts Welcome to The Smith Center for the Arts

With this said, I wouldn't count out Ithaca.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:19 PM

5,287 posts, read 6,084,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim-bike-hike View Post
Are there other towns where this happens... possibly places that also have a bit of a foodie / arts & culture vibe? I've been living in cities for so long and find I'm kind of longing for more of a sense of community.
Smaller towns are usually friendlier than larger towns and cities. People in the US south and southwest are much friendlier than people in the north. For someone moving down south from living all of their life in the north, the kind of friendliness you find will be a new experience. Have you looked into the so-called "research triangle" area of North Carolina; Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill? This is a cosmopolitan area with a great arts/culture foodie scene, the weather is much better than Ithaca, real estate and apartment rentals are a lot cheaper and the natives are friendly. See link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-friendly.html

Old 08-07-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Smaller towns are usually friendlier than larger towns and cities. People in the US south and southwest are much friendlier than people in the north. For someone moving down south from living all of their life in the north, the kind of friendliness you find will be a new experience. Have you looked into the so-called "research triangle" area of North Carolina; Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill? This is a cosmopolitan area with a great arts/culture foodie scene, the weather is much better than Ithaca, real estate and apartment rentals are a lot cheaper and the natives are friendly. See link.

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-friendly.html
Actually, it is probably just as, if not more expensive due to the high demand. For instance, you can view median house price for both cities: Ithaca, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Chapel Hill, NC - USA.comâ„¢

Here is some info on Carrboro, adjacent to Chapel Hill and has a reputation for having a "liberal" vibe: Carrboro, NC - USA.comâ„¢

I don't know if I would say that Ithaca is unfriendly, but it may be a matter of who you interact with in the area. Natives are going to be more friendly, given what I've experienced.

With this said OP, you do have other options not that far from Ithaca. Here is a video about Corning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EraE9BXGBjY

Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeFromNeuvoYork View Post
- Yes, people are friendly. Not as friendly as in the midwest, but much better than NYC.
- Yes, it is very safe. There is a perception that crime has increased, but it hasn't much, and overall Ithaca is a very safe place.
- Politically, they are far-left, as is the state. It will hit you hard in the wallet. My property taxes are 4 times as high as what my extended family pays in other states. And what you get for that exorbitant tax bill is crap. Just drive around the city streets sometime and see how many potholes there are. Schools are good, but guess what? Other states provide good quality schooling for 1/3 to 1/2 the same tax bill.
- Yes, Ithaca has vitality thanks to Cornell, especially considering the economic mess that is just outside.

Bottom line: Don't move here (and to New York state in general) if you can avoid it. If not for personal ties, I would be out of here instantly.

The weather is cold and grey for a large part of the year, taxes are ridiculous. Yes there are bright spots, but overall, this place will bleed your wallet dry.

Car insurance is double what it was in my home state, taxes are 4 times, labor is expensive, and the city, county, and state governments are incompetent and/or corrupt.

If you do move here, there are a lot of great things. Hiking and outdoor activities, city events, etc. But again, like I said, you can find those things in other places for a fraction of the cost.

Hope this helps.
Actually, Downtown Ithaca has seen a lot of growth/development and there are things outside of Cornell in the city/area.

What has impacted Ithaca's COL is the increase in demand and its steady population growth.

Similar communities in other states will be similar in terms of COL, relative to their area/state. It may not manifest itself in terms of taxes, but in terms of housing or other fees that aren't in NY.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:48 AM

25 posts, read 70,249 times
I grew up here and moved back 2 years ago and I am amazed by how much it has changed. It has shifted from a liberal to a libertarian community with a hippie version of "I got mine Jack" mentality. Nepotism and distrust of non-natives is the norm. At least that has been my experience with adults. The coolest people in Ithaca are the high schoolers! They are like the people I knew growing up. I have witnessed the huge sociopolitical shifts of the past 30 years and sadly, Ithaca has not escaped unscathed. I'm sorry if I come off as a hater, but I miss the old Ithaca of the 70's... Any suggestions for how to get my Ithaca mojo back?

Old 10-05-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleusakura View Post
I grew up here and moved back 2 years ago and I am amazed by how much it has changed. It has shifted from a liberal to a libertarian community with a hippie version of "I got mine Jack" mentality. Nepotism and distrust of non-natives is the norm. At least that has been my experience with adults. The coolest people in Ithaca are the high schoolers! They are like the people I knew growing up. I have witnessed the huge sociopolitical shifts of the past 30 years and sadly, Ithaca has not escaped unscathed. I'm sorry if I come off as a hater, but I miss the old Ithaca of the 70's... Any suggestions for how to get my Ithaca mojo back?
It seems like some have just moved further out to say Newfield, Enfield, Ulysses/Trumansburg, Dryden, Caroline, Groton, etc. I wonder if it is a matter of where in Ithaca, in regards to away from the colleges versus near Cornell and IC.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,883 times
I would say that is a uniquely different place for those affiliated with the college's and those who aren't. Enriched daily life experiences outside the academic circles are limited. Also note the etreme lack of sun for many months out of the year. Micro economics of the town are severely messed up - real estate values and taxes are disproportionately higher than the surrounding region. Still can be a beautiful and sweet place to call home.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,712,237 times
Ithaca has a lot of exchange with the outside world. However about half of that exchange is with the New York City metropolitan area. So, though multi-generational closed-mindedness is relatively absent, you still get the NYC attitude rubbing off even on those not from there. Also, relatively pricey compared to neighboring small cities. No one knew about the trails but that's changed now with https://ithacatrails.org/

Corning, whose economy depends on attracting PhD's who develop the next big thing, knows that enough to keep the town attractive to spouses and tourists, so generally positive for relocatees. The lake is up at Watkins Glen which can get crowded in the summer. Or Keuka not very far away but still 1/2 hour drive. Cowanesque, just over the border in PA, is a good fishing lake without any crowds or fu-fu-ness. Surrounding hills have hiking and MTB trails but no one seems to know about them.

Cortland, with proximity to Ithaca, its own college and the interstate, could be an alternative without as many hothouse teapot tempests as Ithaca (but you can still go out to eat there). There is a roll your own culture relatively still open to outsiders, and still has locally owned media though not as super-trendy as what you see in Ithaca. Lake stuff is 45 minute drive or so other than a few private ponds, an obscure corner of Skaneateles Lake, or Little York with its county park next to the highway as the exception to prove the rule. You'll find a few more people on trails in the surrounding hills than near Corning, and with a bit more elevation and position also ski areas such as https://greekpeak.net/

By contrast, Auburn is further from Ithaca, further from the interstate, and while closer to fu-fu Skaneateles, probably still most relocatees come there for incarceration. Compared to Cortland, the actual Wegmans (and actually downtown, wish they still would locate like that) is a plus, but Tops and Price Chopper in Cortland still are better than grocery stores in most of the rest of the US. Lakes are a shorter drive away, hills such as Frozen Ocean and Bear Swamp at least closer than Geneva.

Geneva has turned around and still has upside potential. It has the most publicly accessible lakefront, but is further from higher hills and trees for MTB and hiking than the other small cities in this post. The Bristol Hills 1/2 hour away are more crowded as the nearest high hills to Rochester, but the only truly crowded spot in the FLX is Watkins Glen.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,883 times
Some things to love about Ithaca: The Children's Garden & The Science Center are better childhood amenities than many big cities can offer. Indian Creek Farm is the in-town experience that many would drive much futher to have in the way of agricultural "you pick" produce. Purity Ice Cream and Ithaca Bakery/Collegetown Bagel are great potentially daily rituals in the food. However great many people feel Wegmans may be, it's the only option (Aldi's and Walmart NIC) compared to anywhere else in America that has dozens of grocery store options. Porchfest and Halloween in the Fall Creek neighborhood are amazing annual events. Locally owned and operated art film theater, Cinemopolis, is great compared to other ssmall towns. Yet, for being a lake town you would never know it unless you owned a boat...Trumansburg state park (15 minutes away) has the only decent publicly accessible beach. Housing is a total crisis point for those seeking to relocate in Ithaca proper unless you're game to pay well over $300. Anything less buys you a true fixer upper that may need another $100k of needs. Then the $8000 annual property taxes is a huge additional disincentive to buy. Public library downtown is amazing, but for those taxes you could buy your own personal library. Schools are well loved and teachers are paid well a over national averages for such a small town (i.e. not so when compared to major metro regions). Local gorge hiking trails may be the biggest unique factor that sets this town apart from other near equivalent places nation-wide. Truly good upscale restaurants are fewer than 5-10, which is sad when you consider the food comes from the surrounding countryside. Farmers market is quaint, but crazy pricey...tourist stop, not a way of life kind of thing unless you care to overpay for trendy atmosphere. Worse places to live=most. Better places to live are equally plentiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York