Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:09 PM

12 posts, read 33,052 times

Advertisements

Hi - contemplating a move to NY and curious about the Ithaca area - would love some insider opinions about what life is like there as a non-student/non-faculty resident:

- Is there a sense of community? Are people friendly?
- Is it generally safe? Any sense of things becoming more/less safe in the past 3-5 years?
- Where are people in general on the political spectrum?
- Overall does it feel like Ithaca has a sense of vitality?
- Anything else I should definitely know before thinking about moving there?

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I hope others chime in, but Ithaca is know for its "liberal" vibe and I'd say that it is a generally safe city/area. It does have a nice and vibrant Downtown and is quite culturally diverse for a small city.

Also, what are you looking for in a community/neighborhood to live in?

Old 08-06-2016, 07:47 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
It will be interesting to watch this thread since I remember camping there with my family many years ago. I remember very loud Crows early in the morning. By August the temperature around the Finger lakes had already got slightly chilly, a huge contrast from the South I was accustomed to.

From what I remember the locals were friendly but the people from NYC were easy to pick out - i.e. not friendly..

Old 08-06-2016, 08:14 PM

69 posts, read 147,344 times
The area is currently experiencing an extreme drought.

Regional Drought Monitor

I read last week that they had a 30 day supply of water remaining in the reservoir. Hopefully the drought ends soon.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:40 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
If you're looking for a town where strangers say hello to you while walking on the street, Ithaca is not that kind of place. It's also one of the most expensive areas in which to live in central NY and the weather sucks- hot and humid summers and snowy, cold winters.

On the other hand, the universities are cultural meccas, there are plenty of service-type jobs available, the public schools are very good and you can ski at Greek Peak in the winter and sail on Cayuga lake in the summer. The night life, restaurant, coffee shop scene is the best in the area.

Ithaca is very liberal though it's not quite as diverse as New York State's big cities. There was controversy 10 years ago when the name of State Street was changed to Martin Luther King, Jr. St. and the Cornell Review newspaper is a very conservative (even reactionary) student publication founded by Ann Coulter.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:43 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
If you're looking for a town where strangers say hello to you while walking on the street, Ithaca is not that kind of place. It's also one of the most expensive areas in which to live in central NY and the weather sucks- hot and humid summers and snowy, cold winters.

On the other hand, the universities are cultural meccas, there are plenty of service-type jobs available, the public schools are very good and you can ski at Greek Peak in the winter and sail on Cayuga lake in the summer. The night life, restaurant, coffee shop scene is the best in the area.

Ithaca is very liberal though it's not quite as diverse as New York State's big cities. There was controversy 10 years ago when the name of State Street was changed to Martin Luther King, Jr. St. and the Cornell Review newspaper is a very conservative (even reactionary) student publication founded by Ann Coulter.
On the other hand, its mayor and school superintendent are both Black males, as is or was its school board president. It has had an Asian police chief and had a female mayor before its current mayor. I believe that its previous or one of its most recent school superintendents was a woman as well. At one time, it had 2 or 3 Black city council members at the same time in recent years. Same for its board of education which currently has 4 Black members on its 9 person board.

One of its elementary schools is named after a Black woman that is a native who was the class president if Ithaca High in 1952 who I believe graduated from Cornell and was a teacher/administration within the school district. Cornell is where the first intercollegiate historically Black fraternity was started. It is about 16-17% Asian, which is one of the highest percentages for a municipality/CDP in the state. So, it has had a relatively wide range of representation in the city/area.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
If you're looking for a town where strangers say hello to you while walking on the street, Ithaca is not that kind of place.
Are there other towns where this happens... possibly places that also have a bit of a foodie / arts & culture vibe? I've been living in cities for so long and find I'm kind of longing for more of a sense of community.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful links & info. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York