Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:04 PM

21 posts, read 19,115 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm contemplating moving to New York and would like to know if anyone knows the most affordable and safe places to live (no or minimum crime). I'm just one person with no family. Just a room is good enough for me but I don't want to live with roommates. Thank you all for your responses...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:19 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
There are crime problems in all of the bigger cities (and some of the smaller ones, too) in upstate. Pick out a city and then ask what areas are safest.

The link below will give you crime statistics for cities.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/

Old 09-11-2016, 08:41 AM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What else are you looking for? What about city size? What about employment? What about cultural aspects? What about the location of the city? You can find areas of the bigger and mid major cities in Upstate NY that are fine and affordable, but there needs to be more information given in order for people to help you.

Neighborhood Scout is somewhat suspect, because of their questionable dangerous cities list has left out cities at times and it includes suburban areas to the city neighborhood rankings.

Along with city-data's city info, which also can be hit or miss on some things, I find this site to be pretty good as well. USA Location information - USA.com

Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What else are you looking for? What about city size? What about employment? What about cultural aspects? What about the location of the city? What is considered to be affordable? You can find areas of the bigger and mid major cities in Upstate NY that are fine and affordable, but there needs to be more information given in order for people to help you.

Neighborhood Scout is somewhat suspect, because of their questionable dangerous cities list has left out cities at times and it includes suburban areas to the city neighborhood rankings.

Along with city-data's city info, which also can be hit or miss on some things, I find this site to be pretty good as well. USA Location information - USA.com
It allows people to view a range of information at a lower, more specific level.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
What else are you looking for? What about city size? What about employment? What about cultural aspects? What about the location of the city? You can find areas of the bigger and mid major cities in Upstate NY that are fine and affordable, but there needs to be more information given in order for people to help you.

Being able to get to technology companies for work is important. I would say around an hour away at most via car or public transportation. A good view/living environment would be great but it's not as important. I'm looking for zip codes with the lowest rent and low or minimum crime.

Culturally it would be good if the area has lots of Pakistanis and Indians but it's not a requirement. I know this doesn't narrow it down much but I don't have a lot of criteria besides being safe and being not too far from technology companies.

Last edited by CoverTwo; 09-11-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Being able to get to technology companies for work is important. I would say around an hour away at most via car or public transportation. A good view/living environment would be great but it's not as important. I'm looking for zip codes with the lowest rent and low or minimum crime.

Culturally it would be good if the area has lots of Pakistanis and Indians but it's not a requirement. I know this doesn't narrow it down much but I don't have a lot of criteria besides being safe and being not too far from technology companies.
Menands just north of Albany may be a good choice due to proximity to tech companies in Saratoga County and other parts of the metro area. It also is a diverse community with a good sized Indian population. Guilderland and the area covering the North Colonie school district are a couple of areas in that metro that may also work as well.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:37 AM

Also, looking at zip codes may not necessarily be a good indicator, as you can get a range of neighborhoods with a zip code.

Where would you be coming from, by the way?

Old 09-12-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Where would you be coming from, by the way?
Maryland.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Maryland.
In that case, anything in Upstate NY will likely be more affordable, unless you are coming from the Eastern Shore or Western MD.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:43 PM

I'm in Baltimore County, which I don't think is Western MD, and it definitely rules out ES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York