U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 19,109 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move to Watertown, NY for a job. I would most likely be renting a one-bedroom apartment either in a house or an apartment complex (I'm non-military). Some rentals include utilities, but I'm finding that many do not.

Would someone please give me an idea of how much utilities (water, gas, sewage, trash, electric) cost per month, particularly heat during the winter? Also, I've been reading that different kinds of heat - i.e. electric vs. gas vs. propane - are better than others - any advice as to what to look for? How do landlords, especially ones renting out apartments within one home, divide up the utilities among the tenants?

Thanks so much for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM

770 posts, read 3,536,191 times
For a 1 bedroom apartment you are looking at about 60 every 3 months for water and sewage, trash you have to buy the bags, they come in a few different sizes...for example if you wanted a large bag it is going to run around $3.50 per bag...you dont buy the hefty bags in the grocery store...you must recycle to save money. Gas and electric is tricky because it is going to depend on the apartments insulation and what type of heating...I know some people pay 250 in the winter, and I know others that pay 400 in the winter. Landlords either add utilities into the cost of the apartment if they are on the same meter, if not some have individual meters for eachapartment. Keep in mind heat risesBest of luck to you.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:12 AM

10 posts, read 71,300 times
DJ Conner, I really like living in Watertown; just moved here 2 months ago. I have a good paying job, but rent is outrageous. Locals are charging well over $500/month for apartments and $1,000/month for single family homes (in Watertown) which are pretty old.

You may have better luck than I did, but if you're considering renting, you may want to look into the possibility of buying a home or a mobile home in a trailer park. To be honest, rentals are hard to come by and are expensive. We're paying more than my parent's mortgage on rent for a 100+ year old house 6 miles outside the city. We pay $100/month for heat (open flame burners in 3 rooms), $40/month for sewer/water, $80/month for electricity.

I believe Watertown is an up and coming place with a lot of potential, great scenery, and some very friendly people. Fortunately, the housing market belongs to the buyers. If you rent for a little while and save enough money you should be able to get a killer deal on a house. I don't mean to discourage you from moving here, but wanted to be honest in my appraisal of the area's rental economics. Let me know if you need any help finding a place to live.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,271 times
Default Moving to Waterfront.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioHopeful View Post
DJ Conner, I really like living in Watertown; just moved here 2 months ago. I have a good paying job, but rent is outrageous. Locals are charging well over $500/month for apartments and $1,000/month for single family homes (in Watertown) which are pretty old.

You may have better luck than I did, but if you're considering renting, you may want to look into the possibility of buying a home or a mobile home in a trailer park. To be honest, rentals are hard to come by and are expensive. We're paying more than my parent's mortgage on rent for a 100+ year old house 6 miles outside the city. We pay $100/month for heat (open flame burners in 3 rooms), $40/month for sewer/water, $80/month for electricity.

I believe Watertown is an up and coming place with a lot of potential, great scenery, and some very friendly people. Fortunately, the housing market belongs to the buyers. If you rent for a little while and save enough money you should be able to get a killer deal on a house. I don't mean to discourage you from moving here, but wanted to be honest in my appraisal of the area's rental economics. Let me know if you need any help finding a place to live.

Hi there. My name is Stephanie and my husband is in the army we've just got word that we are being stationed in ft drum. Ive been trying to look online for an apartment in the area but it's been very difficult. Many sites do not have any pictures and I'm curious in knowing which area i should look into and which areas i shuld stay away from lol i live all the way in miami so online is really my only resource. Could you pass any words of advice this way ?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:30 PM

72,064 posts, read 99,551,438 times
Try here: MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Also, look on the Fort Drum websites. Just enter Fort Drum in the search space and you will find plenty of information on the Watertown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York