Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 12:05 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,367 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a job in Alfred. Obviously theres very little there. Can someone give me some insight into nice places that are a reasonable commute to and from here? I'm looking for a family friendly place with decent shopping and affordable rental homes. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Hornell....It is a small city of about 8500 that is only minutes away. ..:: City of Hornell ::..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rfMuecxRVxw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJjLPEdPSM

Old 02-14-2017, 12:56 PM

149 posts, read 303,184 times
Hornell is 20-ish minutes away... Wellsville (pop. about 4500) is about 25-30 minutes away. In terms "family friendly" - they are both small towns, really. NYS public schools are decent, although both of these districts will be small. Shopping....what are you looking for? Both towns have large grocery store chains, pharmacies, and Wal-Marts. Of course there a few local bars and diners, in addition to some chain restaurants. In this area, that's a lot!

Old 02-14-2017, 02:04 PM

825 posts, read 1,034,367 times
Thank you for your advice!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:09 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Hornell has a Wegmans, the grocery chain major mid-Atlantic metro suburbs fight to get. https://www.wegmans.com/stores/hornell-ny.html

I knew someone who commuted daily from Corning to Alfred, an hour each way. Although Corning is considered by most a more exciting and desirable community (so encouraged by a global corporation still there), it seems to make more sense to me to drive for excitement and minimize daily commuting.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 AM

729 posts, read 532,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Hornell has a Wegmans, the grocery chain major mid-Atlantic metro suburbs fight to get. https://www.wegmans.com/stores/hornell-ny.html

I knew someone who commuted daily from Corning to Alfred, an hour each way. Although Corning is considered by most a more exciting and desirable community (so encouraged by a global corporation still there), it seems to make more sense to me to drive for excitement and minimize daily commuting.
I used to work in Alfred. Hornell is more centralized than Wellsville. Also if you are Hornell, head up 36 then I390 for about an hour and you are in the shopping area of Henrietta/Rochester. For my taste Corning/Horseheads/Elmira area, about an hour and fifteen minutes away, the I86 was often iffy in the winter and all year round the I86 was filled with speed traps. The state troupers know how to hide themselves very very well. In the fall, head out about half an hour to Naples south of Canandaiqua Lake. Naples is in wine country and is famous for its Grape Pies.

As an aside, in that region of the state you will find many lakes, creeks, and towns that look and sound to be a corrupted version/spelling of Canada. When the English settlers asked the local Indians what they called their place, the Indians responded with their word for "settlement". The English couldn't pronounce it correctly and spelled it as they thought it sounded. So the word Canada basically means "settlement".

If you do not wish to live in the "big" city of Hornell, then just five to ten minutes south of Hornell on 36 is the smaller town of Caniesto. Caniesto has the world's largest LIVING sign. I find it more impressive than the rickety wooden Hollywood sign in California. There is a back road to/from Alfred, but it is often undriveable for about one third of the winter.

If you are in any wooded area during hunting season be sure to wear bright orange. Don't get yourself mistaken for a dear. And speaking of dear, be careful driving anywhere in the southern tier of NY and northern PA. Dear WILL jump out in front of you suddenly. Happened to me often living there and two times hit and costly car damage.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:50 AM

729 posts, read 532,428 times
Alfred.
There is a nice "hole-in-the-wall" restaurant that serves reasonably cheap tasty home cooked style meals. Always packed during the college school year. A pub/bar a couple of doors away has a "world tour" of beers. Drink one hundred different beers in a school semester and you get your name on a plaque. Pizza is no problem. This is after all a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York