Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 06:47 PM

5,705 posts, read 4,095,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
are Allegany County as the most Republican county: The most Republican county in each state

and Bronx County as the most Democratic county: The most Democratic county in every state

Food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTby-nfFd1I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 AM

729 posts, read 533,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
I hate to say it, but most residents of Allegany county fit the Republican mold: Christian, uneducated white people.
And yet it was the Republicans who fought to free the slaves and the Democrats who fought to keep them enslaved. Almost all Republicans voted for the Civil Rights act of 1964. The majority of Democrats voted against it. It was the Republicans who led the effort in getting women, the right to vote. Only when Woodrow Wilson changed his mind about WW1 and now wanted the US to be in that war did the Democrats come on board about giving women the right to vote.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:59 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
And yet it was the Republicans who fought to free the slaves and the Democrats who fought to keep them enslaved. Almost all Republicans voted for the Civil Rights act of 1964. The majority of Democrats voted against it. It was the Republicans who led the effort in getting women, the right to vote. Only when Woodrow Wilson changed his mind about WW1 and now wanted the US to be in that war did the Democrats come on board about giving women the right to vote.
A lot of this is was more about Regional interests than political interests. That is why they called Southern Democrats "Dixiecrats", because they were more about the "Southern way of life" versus political ideology for the masses.

With this said, both parties have their share of "sins of commission and omission" in their political history.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:44 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,006,511 times
besides being most Democratic, The Bronx is also most polluted , crime ridden, worst place to live . That's what Democrats do for you

Old 10-22-2016, 10:27 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
I hate to say it, but most residents of Allegany county fit the Republican mold: Christian, uneducated white people.
I've visited Allegheny County repeatedly over the last year. Something is working for them. The main streets have a lot of mom & pop shops and there is a lot of community involvement. They are much better off than most of the small liberal towns I have seen in PA and NY.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I've visited Allegheny County repeatedly over the last year. Something is working for them. The main streets have a lot of mom & pop shops and there is a lot of community involvement. They are much better off than most of the small liberal towns I have seen in PA and NY.
It will depend on the town, regardless of the socio-political view.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:01 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
besides being most Democratic, The Bronx is also most polluted , crime ridden, worst place to live . That's what Democrats do for you
While I agree that the Bronx is a pit, this argument works both way too. Portland is blue, as is Boston, Denver, SF, Seattle, etc and most people would say that these are pretty livable cities.

A ton of counties in Mississippi, eastern Kentucky, West VA, TN, southwest VA etc are red and pretty miserable places to live.

Salt Lake City, Boise, and Indianapolis are pretty red cities and I'd imagine are generally good places to live overall.

So it all depends, especially on income as well.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:03 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It will depend on the town, regardless of the socio-political view.
Not necessarily. PA is one of the worst for small businesses. The regulations and ensuing costs for small businesses are ridiculous. So yes, politics plays a large role in business growth.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:01 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
As opposed to welfare queens and illegal aliens that Democrat Party represents? Bronx is filled with them. I know. I almost live there.

So, in just one wide broad swipe you showed your hate for the majority of people in the country.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Not necessarily. PA is one of the worst for small businesses. The regulations and ensuing costs for small businesses are ridiculous. So yes, politics plays a large role in business growth.
I was referring to the being better than "liberal" towns part of the post. There are such towns that could be viewed as being "liberal" that are doing "fine" in NY. Many may have a college associated with them or may have another industry in that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York