Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 PM

217 posts, read 283,351 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a 21 college student with no vehicle and only $700 at the moment. I'm planning on either before or after my 10-month volunteer work to move out of my parents' house and find a place to live outside of Tennessee.

Because I have no vehicle, I've been looking for a place to move to and live in where I can at least bike to work, which is hard to find, so I've been kicking around the idea of living in New York. I have an interest in the city and its culture, and I need a place with at least a public bus.

However, I do not want to overestimate it. From what I've heard and been told, New York is a great place, but it can also potentially be overwhelming for someone who has never lived there before. I once volunteered alongside another crew in Texas, and one of their guys was born and raised in New York. I quickly took notes in my phone, but now they're kind of hard to decipher, but from what I remember and can understand on my phone, he told me that:

There are a lot of food places and stores that I need to try.
I need to visit Brooklyn and China Town.
I need to visit Central Park.
I need to learn how the subway system works.
I need to mind my personal space and beware of pick pockets.
I need to hide my wallet and extra cash in my shoes and socks.
I need to not wear headphones when riding a bicycle and jaywalking can get me jail time.
I do not need to explore the city alone if I'm new.

I'm pretty sure that's just scratching the surface. The biggest thing I've heard and believed is that it's extremely difficult, if not nearly impossible, to move to New York and get a job without knowing someone, first, and my only connections from New York are that guy who I only knew and talked to for a month, and an old crewmate who was born and raised in New York but has since moved.

So how accurate does all that sound? Is it even possible or even a good idea for me to move to New York right now? From quickly viewing a few threads, it sounds tough to live in NY.

Last edited by TinBo; 12-01-2016 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 08:24 PM

93,247 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I got this Chava....I would post this in the NYC forum. Was that good?

Old 12-02-2016, 04:59 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I got this Chava....I would post this in the NYC forum. Was that good?
Yep although with that budget, I wouldn't recommend moving to NYC without connections.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
That's not even a budget in NYC!

Old 12-19-2016, 07:36 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,465,218 times
$700? A WHOLE $700? Wow!

What are your plans with all that money here in NYC??! Hope you have a long list!

Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM

217 posts, read 283,351 times
You know what, **** it, I'll just join the military. Probably safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: