Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 05:03 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

What do you think is the most underrated tourist town in NY State? As another thread mentioned, some places in the state are given more exposure than others in regards to tourism. So, are there some towns that you like that may not be as well known or doesn't as much exposure as some others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:37 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,818,378 times
Not sure how many people would consider it underrated but I feel like Saranac Lake, one of my favorite little Adirondack villages, is often overshadowed by the more popular Lake Placid. I also feel like the 1000 Islands village of Clayton is not recognized as much as it should be either.

I believe the Hudson valley/Catskills region gets much more attention because of its proximity to NYC than most other regions except for maybe the Finger Lakes region which as done a great job of marketing itself as an exceptional wine related tourist destination. As far as the Adirondacks go, unless you are a skier or a true outdoor enthusiast many casual vacationers opt out of the longer trip for the closer Catskills depending on their starting destination. And Niagara Falls just speaks for itself.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Not sure how many people would consider it underrated but I feel like Saranac Lake, one of my favorite little Adirondack villages, is often overshadowed by the more popular Lake Placid. I also feel like the 1000 Islands village of Clayton is not recognized as much as it should be either.

I believe the Hudson valley/Catskills region gets much more attention because of its proximity to NYC than most other regions except for maybe the Finger Lakes region which as done a great job of marketing itself as an exceptional wine related tourist destination. As far as the Adirondacks go, unless you are a skier or a true outdoor enthusiast many casual vacationers opt out of the longer trip for the closer Catskills depending on their starting destination. And Niagara Falls just speaks for itself.
Ironically, this was a town that came to mind. I think with its Antique Boat Museum, quaint village on the St. Lawrence River and proximity to over 100 islands and Boldt Castle, you would think that it would get more interest. I think it does in a undercover way, but it is still not a place that gets a lot of attention. perhaps you could include Alexandria Bay for similar reasons.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:32 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Lets keep the hidden gems hidden! Trust me you guys don't need more Jersey in the Adirondacks.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Lets keep the hidden gems hidden! Trust me you guys don't need more Jersey in the Adirondacks.
I hear you, but I just wanted to post another culinary hidden gem I was told about: The Horned Dorset Inn

It is south of Utica in Leonardsville and I was told that it has an artsy vibe that attracts some of the more monied folks in the area(i.e.-Colgate and Hamilton College professors, the Cooperstown/Glimerglass crowd, etc.).

Old 12-26-2016, 04:11 PM

Another place I thought about is Auburn, as it has some great historical sites and is in the Finger Lakes region.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another place I thought about is Auburn, as it has some great historical sites and is in the Finger Lakes region.
I agree as well, maybe overshadowed by Skaneateles a bit?

Another area I feel is a little underrated is the towns and area surrounding Chautauqua Lake in the southern tier. Really the southern tier in general I feel is pretty underrated. Possibly because there aren't very many major population centers close by.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I agree as well, maybe overshadowed by Skaneateles a bit?

Another area I feel is a little underrated is the towns and area surrounding Chautauqua Lake in the southern tier. Really the southern tier in general I feel is pretty underrated. Possibly because there aren't very many major population centers close by.
I think with Auburn, people may think of the prison, but it actually has a pretty low crime rate and its Downtown has seen quite a bit of revitalization. I think besides its historical sites, it has live professional theater with the Merry Go Round Playhouse at Emerson Park on Owasco Lake and it also has the Auburn Public Theater in Downtown: Finger Lakes Musical Theatre Festival - Auburn, NY | Broadway in the Finger Lakes

Auburn Public Theater | Performance, Cinema, Education & Community

I believe the Schine Theater is slated to be revitalized and opened up again as well. Auburn Schine Theater - Auburn Schine Theater? Home Page It also has the Schweinfurth Art Center as well: Schweinfurth

I think that if the Schine Theater gets going again, Auburn could become a very artsy small city with some grit that would be another option in the Finger Lakes region. I also think it's proximity to Skaneateles plays a part as to why it has a pretty good art scene for its size.

It also has minor league baseball as well: Auburn

The rare drive in as well: Finger Lakes Drive-In | Auburn, NY

It is pretty affordable as well.

Good point about the Chautauqua Lake area. I've heard that Mayville is a nice little town.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:20 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I just applied to a job in Alexandria Bay. Nice to see it mentioned here. Looks like a really pretty area.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I just applied to a job in Alexandria Bay. Nice to see it mentioned here. Looks like a really pretty area.
You'll love it there. Such an amazing part of this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York