Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:33 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times

Advertisements

My posts should be taken as seriously as most others if not more seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 01:53 PM

561 posts, read 514,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I don't know. I'd still rank NY higher. Beach access, the ADKs, tons of lakes, worlds largest city. Proximity to Canada's premier cities. I don't see where ND, KS, NE, or AK can compare. I knew a woman from Omaha, she said Omaha was slightly better than Lincoln, and Lincoln was a city based on immigrant labor in slaughterhouses. A dreadful place. I guess Council Bluffs is across the river and is also really dismal.
Do some research on Omaha and Lincoln.. first of all, Omaha is a metro of basically 1 million, Lincoln is 3+ times smaller at 300,000.. They are 50 miles apart.. But Omaha is a diversified mid major metro with a fantastic economy and job opportunities that abound.. Lincoln is a small metro, has more government presence due it stealing the state Capital from Omaha back in the 1800's (its true, look it up, lol) and has a major university in the University of Nebraska.. it's no wonder people are, generally, very happy living in Omaha/Lincoln..

PS- Historically, Omaha and Chicago were the cities that attracted immigrant labor to the slaughterhouses back in the early 1900's.. Not Lincoln. So let's get that one straight ..

Peace...

Old 02-12-2017, 07:07 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Do some research on Omaha and Lincoln.. first of all, Omaha is a metro of basically 1 million, Lincoln is 3+ times smaller at 300,000.. They are 50 miles apart.. But Omaha is a diversified mid major metro with a fantastic economy and job opportunities that abound.. Lincoln is a small metro, has more government presence due it stealing the state Capital from Omaha back in the 1800's (its true, look it up, lol) and has a major university in the University of Nebraska.. it's no wonder people are, generally, very happy living in Omaha/Lincoln..

PS- Historically, Omaha and Chicago were the cities that attracted immigrant labor to the slaughterhouses back in the early 1900's.. Not Lincoln. So let's get that one straight ..

Peace...
Peace to you too, and I was only stating what I was told about the area from 2 women that lived there (in Omaha). I have never been to Omaha so I am not commenting and I'm sure its a fine city, but its hard to argue that NY State has more to offer than NE and I was surprised to see it ranked so low.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
We've gone through Kansas by rail on Amtrak's "Southwest Chief". Left Chicago around 3:15 PM, woke up in Dodge City around 6:00 AM. On the way back we left Flagstaff at 5:00 AM, arrived in Trinidad CO at around 6:30 PM, woke up in Kansas City MO the next morning at 7:30 AM. They plan the trips so you're sleeping when there's nothing much to see. I guess that about sums it up for Kansas. One things for sure Dodge City looks nothing like the TV series "Gunsmoke".

When we moved and drove across country there really wasn't that much to see from Ohio until we got to New Mexico. It's all pretty flat with a lot of agricultural areas, wheat and soybean fields. There's a lot of cattle ranches and livestock in Oklahoma. You can smell it for miles around. I wouldn't call it backwards though, that's how they earn their living. One of our neighbors out here had a 250 acre farm in Kansas that they sold before coming to Arizona. It's not an easy life, with a low profit margin. Some years can be a disaster depending on weather conditions. They've still got all of that equipment to maintain and pay for regardless of what happens.

You have to have a great deal of respect for those who choose agriculture and ranching for a living. Without them we'd starve.
I have as much respect for them as I have for people living in rust-belt NYS and eeking out a living after their factory job disappears- a lot. Democrat NY or fly-over Kansas, I respect both of them.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
The people I know from WNY are "happy" or content. They are all about family, friends, community. Most are professionals, so that could tip the scale in their happiness. But even my average or lower income buds up there seem happy. It's a beautiful area of the state, finding work is key.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:52 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
I have as much respect for them as I have for people living in rust-belt NYS and eeking out a living after their factory job disappears- a lot. Democrat NY or fly-over Kansas, I respect both of them.
That's what happened to us, only we lived in Westchester County NY.

Old 02-18-2017, 02:09 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
It is generally why out-migration from both areas tends to be quite a bit higher than the national average. People vote with their feet and move to where jobs are, and other people can't stand to live in extremely isolated rural areas anyway.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:43 AM

New York ranks No. 17 in Best States report - NY Daily News

So, does Upstate pull down this ranking, or does NYC pull down this ranking?

Its a decent rank overall, and pretty much right in line with what I think of NY. Nice beatdown of places like AZ, NC, SC, and NV for all the losers who come into this forum and bash the state. Lol.

I'd say the Upstate really brings down the state economically, and the downstate really brings down the ranking in affordability. I believe this can be said about states like CA too. Just my 2c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York