Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM

120 posts, read 246,854 times

Advertisements

Here we go. A decade ago I moved from the city and bought a home in Rockland County. Single guy then, still single now. Tried dating multiple times, but nine times out of ten, the location of where I live turns the women off. Really do not want to sell my home and move just for a social life. In addition, I would sell it for less than I purchased it for. I was just sick of paying rent, got out of a bad relationship and wanted to be by myself. I really didn't think it would be so hard to date living in Rockland. However, it's not been easy. I'm 38, fit realitively good looking, good job, nice house, but I've received the messages I live too far away. I'm 25 minutes from Manhattan.

Not sure what I am missing here. Though, I am sure I am missing something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 05:12 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
I think your casting your net too far from the boat. The odds of a NYC woman having a car and be willing to drive to Rockland Co. is not all that great. If she doesn't have a car then that could be a big deal for her as it puts you in the driver's seat all the time.

Draw a '30 min. drive' circle around your home and look throughout it; not just at Manhattan.

Also, talk to the people you do know and ask them what they think you might be doing to create any relationship hurdles. Whatever they say, assume it's correct and deal with that. The worst that can happen is they can't repeat that cause in the future.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:31 PM

No doubt. I've tried Westchester and Bronx, they don't want to drive that far or pay a toll. I've received several messages back stating I just live too far. It's a mess. Can't sell the house or I'd lose nearly 150k. Prob. not the best idea to move here and I am stuck for the foreseeable future.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Have you tried doing weekends in the city, get a room mix/mingle maybe find someone you like. If my dad could drive from Port Chester to Far Rockaway back in the 50's to date I am sure you can drive in

Old 02-24-2017, 05:52 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,329,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggy View Post
No doubt. I've tried Westchester and Bronx, they don't want to drive that far or pay a toll. I've received several messages back stating I just live too far. It's a mess. Can't sell the house or I'd lose nearly 150k. Prob. not the best idea to move here and I am stuck for the foreseeable future.
It just occurred to me, maybe skip the City and try LI. Women on LI have cars and a lot of them look for a reason to get off LI. Maybe some would appreciate living north of the City and still have a shorter commute!

But one should know the protocols for dating long distance. My wife and I met via Match.com 14 yrs ago. I was in Genesee Co. and she in Nassau Co.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Have you tried doing weekends in the city, get a room mix/mingle maybe find someone you like. If my dad could drive from Port Chester to Far Rockaway back in the 50's to date I am sure you can drive in
I was considering something like that. Never thought I had to go back to the city after I moved away from it. It's like going 360 degrees in life.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1202 View Post
It just occurred to me, maybe skip the City and try LI. Women on LI have cars and a lot of them look for a reason to get off LI. Maybe some would appreciate living north of the City and still have a shorter commute!

But one should know the protocols for dating long distance. My wife and I met via Match.com 14 yrs ago. I was in Genesee Co. and she in Nassau Co.
I've received some interest in women in Queens, Brooklyn and LI. However LI is really far. Queens, on a good day, is a 45 minute drive plus 21.00 in tolls. LI can be 2 hours or more. It seems I really am between a rock and a hard place here.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:23 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggy View Post
I was considering something like that. Never thought I had to go back to the city after I moved away from it. It's like going 360 degrees in life.
Your comments lead me to believe that you expect your date to travel to you, ain't gonna happen. Single life is in the city, maybe Jersey City or White Plains but Rockland, nope.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:30 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
What about Nyack or are you already there?

Old 02-24-2017, 04:03 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
Have you ever thought about bringing over an eastern Slavic female on a fiancée visa- Russian, Ukrainian, Belarussian, etc.? Donald Trump married 2 of them. He did marry an American female, Marla Maples, in between but then realized that he had made a mistake.

Last edited by Wells5; 02-24-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York