Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2017, 10:32 AM

454 posts, read 763,522 times

Advertisements

I own a large family compound in Sullivan county which I am selling. I am debating whether to retain a beautiful mountaintop lot from my property and build a vacation getaway, or move my getaway to the New Paltz area, simply for better restaurants and shopping and a more sophisticated atmosphere.

For those who know, are the 2 areas all that different? My place in Sullivan is perfect-long views, pond, paved road access, but the towns are fairly ho-hum and shabby.

Is Ulster county that much of a jump from Sullivan in cool restaurants, antique stores, and general hip sophistication (for lack of a better phrase.)

I know Sullivan thoroughly, but I have only read about Ulster. I live in the Southwest so I can't just buzz through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 12:26 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I own a large family compound in Sullivan county which I am selling. I am debating whether to retain a beautiful mountaintop lot from my property and build a vacation getaway, or move my getaway to the New Paltz area, simply for better restaurants and shopping and a more sophisticated atmosphere.

For those who know, are the 2 areas all that different? My place in Sullivan is perfect-long views, pond, paved road access, but the towns are fairly ho-hum and shabby.

Is Ulster county that much of a jump from Sullivan in cool restaurants, antique stores, and general hip sophistication (for lack of a better phrase.)

I know Sullivan thoroughly, but I have only read about Ulster. I live in the Southwest so I can't just buzz through.
Sullivan County has seen far better days.

Do you want to stay on the west side of the Hudson? I feel like Columbia County is the destination hotspot in the Hudson Valley/Catskills these days.

In Ulster I would prefer New Paltz, Gardiner, Stone Ridge, Hurley, the Glasco part of Saugerties to anything in Sullivan County. I think you'd have better luck with renting your place out, if so desired, in any of those places. You would have better access to more amenities.

The alternative in the Catskills would be to go out to Delaware county and into somewhere like Andes or Walton, both of which seem to be hipster Meccas.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:41 PM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
If you live in the "southwest," why not just sell the Sullivan property and buy in Colorado if you like the mountains? I don't know what a property like yours in Sullivan County will go for but Kutsher's resort outside of Monticello on 1300 acres + golf course + multi-story hotel properties + all of the other amenities sold for a little over $8 million a few years ago.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM

All my family is in NY and we have reunions often-I ski in CO, but my plan is to spend half my time in Austin, and the other half in NY. A train to NYC would be a huge plus, Dutchess would work, Columbia, wherever there is a little more going on, as I will be retired and looking for entertainment, art, music, hiking, yoga...

Old 03-10-2017, 02:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
Quote:
All my family is in NY and we have reunions often-I ski in CO, but my plan is to spend half my time in Austin, and the other half in NY. A train to NYC would be a huge plus, Dutchess would work, Columbia, wherever there is a little more going on, as I will be retired and looking for entertainment, art, music, hiking, yoga...
I would recommend Lake Placid for what I think you want, if you can deal with 4 1/2 - 5 hour drive to NYC without a train.

Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Do you need a large house or a house with outside cabins for when you and the relatives get together? How many acres do you want and what is your budget? Must your house be in New York State? Do you want mountain views or be on or near a lake or does the local scenery not matter? How close must your house be to a town with the amenities that you like?

Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Sullivan County has seen far better days.

Do you want to stay on the west side of the Hudson? I feel like Columbia County is the destination hotspot in the Hudson Valley/Catskills these days.
I just looked out my front door and I agree with you. We moved to Columbia County a few years back from downstate. We have a lot of things from farm stands and a county fair to music, cafes, restaurants and summer stock theater. The scenery is great: lakes, hills, hiking, biking and skiing. You can get anything from a small house in a village to 20+ acres with a vintage home to new construction.

Where we are we're under half an hour to Albany, 30+ minutes to Tanglewood and an hour to Saratoga. I90 is 2 1/2 to Boston. Taconic is 2 1/2 to NYC. And if you don't want to drive, Amtrak from Hudson is 2 hours to Penn Station. Short drive to Dutchess to take advantage of things like lunch or dinner at the Culinary Institute.

I think the OP mentioned possible retirement site? We've decided we're staying here when that time arrives in about 3-4 years because of the things I've mentioned. Actually see quite a few people, from young couples to retirees walking daily in both the villages and on the back roads past the dairy farm or the orchards.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Do you need a large house or a house with outside cabins for when you and the relatives get together? How many acres do you want and what is your budget? Must your house be in New York State? Do you want mountain views or be on or near a lake or does the local scenery not matter? How close must your house be to a town with the amenities that you like?

Long views are a must-mountains or farmland. Town must be withing 10 minutes-doesn't have to be in NY, but family is in lower Westchester. I imagine a 3 BR with maybe extra space somewhere.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:35 PM

I was going to suggest the Finger Lakes region near Ithaca, where there are a lot of things going on. But since you are not seeking a lake property, I think that Q44 has made a great suggestion.

I'd think twice about New Paltz. I haven't been there since I worked in Dutchess County in the early 70s. It's a small college town and as I recall not very "artsy," but that may have changed.

Columbia County has the mountains, hills, trails and vistas that you want and many of the towns are close to Great Barrington, Stockbridge and Lenox. MA. It's like the Berkshires but less expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York