Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2022, 07:53 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A reference that is an Indian American from Cortland, Biden nominates Cortland native to be general counsel for Department of Veterans Affairs: https://auburnpub.com/news/local/gov...9530b4d89c1102
Potsdam's Thai Cuisine reopens dining room with modern renovations: https://www.nny360.com/communitynews...7214553a6.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2022, 07:34 PM

A place of worship reference in Henrietta just outside of Rochester: 온누리교회 Rochester Onnuri Church

Old 06-27-2022, 05:49 AM

38 posts, read 26,941 times
Hi @ckhthankgod! Long time no post here. Thanks for continuing to post great info in this thread.

I wanted to ask if you knew of any Asian farming communities in upstate NY? So not necessarily thousands or even hundreds but even a few dozen farms within a specific geographic area?

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-27-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsaverdude View Post
Hi @ckhthankgod! Long time no post here. Thanks for continuing to post great info in this thread.

I wanted to ask if you knew of any Asian farming communities in upstate NY? So not necessarily thousands or even hundreds but even a few dozen farms within a specific geographic area?

Thanks in advance!
Good question…Besides this example: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hu...hrough-farming , not off the top of my head, but you may(key word) have some non farming individuals or at least some residents in more small town/rural environments. I’m thinking of some that may live in such environments outside of Ithaca(a one county metro that is about 10% Asian) or the Watertown-Fort Drum area(perhaps soldiers/families that live in some of the smaller communities near the Army Base). Some may live in smaller communities with a college/university or an example such as Gang Mills west of Corning due to Corning Inc.(I believe more South Asian) as well. As I come across more information, that is something I will keep in mind though, as there may be other examples out there.

Here is some more information about not only the farm above, but one that is in New Paltz that is Indian owned: https://www.scenichudson.org/viewfin...rm-connection/

There is this Troy business as well: https://www.sunhees.com/

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-27-2022 at 07:31 AM..

Old 06-27-2022, 12:30 PM

Thanks ckhthankgod!! Much appreciated. I'll delve deeper into those links you sent as well as delve deeper into small town/rural environments. What direction outside of Ithaca were you thinking?

Also I need to commend you (not that you need it) on your demographic skills. You're absolutely right about communities outside military areas as I've noticed that as well in other states where it will suddenly become very diverse due to the military presence.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Good question…Besides this example: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/hu...hrough-farming , not off the top of my head, but you may(key word) have some non farming individuals or at least some residents in more small town/rural environments. I’m thinking of some that may live in such environments outside of Ithaca(a one county metro that is about 10% Asian) or the Watertown-Fort Drum area(perhaps soldiers/families that live in some of the smaller communities near the Army Base). Some may live in smaller communities with a college/university or an example such as Gang Mills west of Corning due to Corning Inc.(I believe more South Asian) as well. As I come across more information, that is something I will keep in mind though, as there may be other examples out there.

Here is some more information about not only the farm above, but one that is in New Paltz that is Indian owned: https://www.scenichudson.org/viewfin...rm-connection/

There is this Troy business as well: https://www.sunhees.com/

Old 06-27-2022, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks ckhthankgod!! Much appreciated. I'll delve deeper into those links you sent as well as delve deeper into small town/rural environments. What direction outside of Ithaca were you thinking?

Also I need to commend you (not that you need it) on your demographic skills. You're absolutely right about communities outside military areas as I've noticed that as well in other states where it will suddenly become very diverse due to the military presence.

Thanks again!
In terms of the Ithaca area, I was thinking of parts of the town of Lansing and the town of Ithaca(different from the city of Ithaca, which it surrounds much of).

Yes, I was actually stationed at Fort Drum and you can find some Asian families or some say mixed families with an Asian spouse. For instance, I remember when Carthage High, which is one of the schools Fort Drum kids go to, had a star athlete that was half Japanese. So, if you know where to look, people may be surprised where people of Asian descent live in Upstate NY.

I might have mentioned this before, but some suburban towns like Niskayuna, Brighton, Amherst(inc. the Williamsville/East Amherst portion), DeWitt, Manlius, New Hartford, Vestal, Henrietta, Colonie, etc. are some suburban towns with average to above average Asian percentage or at least have areas that are so. Some have more rural areas that could also have some appeal in terms of start some scale of farming as well.

Old 06-28-2022, 08:55 AM

A professional reference in the Syracuse area: https://www.cnybj.com/raju-joins-hancock-estabrook/
https://www.hancocklaw.com/people/finney-raju/

Old 06-28-2022, 09:54 AM

Oh wow? I never knew there was the city of Ithaca and town of Ithaca. I know you mentioned Lansing but would you say there are is a small Asian population throughout the TOWN of Ithaca or only the areas leading up to Lansing (by Cayuga Heights)?

That's an interesting dynamic regarding military areas (BTW, thank you for your service!) but I am also a bit apprehensive about living too close to a Fort. Not sure if I mentioned this before but I have become somewhat of a prepper (hence the reason I've even considered moving out of state and learning to farm) so that's just one additional filter for me to contend with.

Yes I do remember your earlier comments about the suburban towns and have them all saved in my notes from before. The one new filter I added that I didn't bring up before was the ability to grow food so having more land to homestead is of importance now. I think it might've been the article you sent and/or other articles I found that mentioned Black Dirt region in upstate NY being prime for growing food so was also exploring that region and lastly, proximity to a lake/river (ideally on the water) to go fishing would also be a nice plus.

With all the supply chain challenges, closing of dozens of food plants, inflation and of course the military conflicts, ability to fish and farm are equally important as finding an Asian enclave.

Thanks again for all your helpful insights!
PS - Totally diff topic but would you happen to know how upstate NY handled the vaccine mandates/lockdown policies? I know how NYC handled it as they were always in the press but no clue about smaller cities and towns in upstate NY? Without getting too political, I will say IMO there is a correlation between strict mandates/lockdowns and anti-Asian incidents vs more lax. I don't have the link offhand but if you look at the specific data of majority of anti-Asian incidents, they were mostly concentrated in SF, NY and I think Seattle if I'm not mistaken but def SF and NY took the top spots. The only city I remember in a red state was the Dallas area (I could be wrong) but Dallas is a blue area in the red state so just more data points to consider. Thanks

Quote:
In terms of the Ithaca area, I was thinking of parts of the town of Lansing and the town of Ithaca(different from the city of Ithaca, which it surrounds much of).

Yes, I was actually stationed at Fort Drum and you can find some Asian families or some say mixed families with an Asian spouse. For instance, I remember when Carthage High, which is one of the schools Fort Drum kids go to, had a star athlete that was half Japanese. So, if you know where to look, people may be surprised where people of Asian descent live in Upstate NY.

I might have mentioned this before, but some suburban towns like Niskayuna, Brighton, Amherst(inc. the Williamsville/East Amherst portion), DeWitt, Manlius, New Hartford, Vestal, Henrietta, Colonie, etc. are some suburban towns with average to above average Asian percentage or at least have areas that are so. Some have more rural areas that could also have some appeal in terms of start some scale of farming as well.

Last edited by musicsaverdude; 06-28-2022 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-28-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Oh wow? I never knew there was the city of Ithaca and town of Ithaca. I know you mentioned Lansing but would you say there are is a small Asian population throughout the TOWN of Ithaca or only the areas leading up to Lansing (by Cayuga Heights)?

That's an interesting dynamic regarding military areas (BTW, thank you for your service!) but I am also a bit apprehensive about living too close to a Fort. Not sure if I mentioned this before but I have become somewhat of a prepper (hence the reason I've even considered moving out of state and learning to farm) so that's just one additional filter for me to contend with.

Yes I do remember your earlier comments about the suburban towns and have them all saved in my notes from before. The one new filter I added that I didn't bring up before was the ability to grow food so having more land to homestead is of importance now. I think it might've been the article you sent and/or other articles I found that mentioned Black Dirt region in upstate NY being prime for growing food so was also exploring that region and lastly, proximity to a lake/river (ideally on the water) to go fishing would also be a nice plus.

With all the supply chain challenges, closing of dozens of food plants, inflation and of course the military conflicts, ability to fish and farm are equally important as finding an Asian enclave.

Thanks again for all your helpful insights!
PS - Totally diff topic but would you happen to know how upstate NY handled the vaccine mandates/lockdown policies? I know how NYC handled it as they were always in the press but no clue about smaller cities and towns in upstate NY? Without getting too political, I will say IMO there is a correlation between strict mandates/lockdowns and anti-Asian incidents vs more lax. I don't have the link offhand but if you look at the specific data of majority of anti-Asian incidents, they were mostly concentrated in SF, NY and I think Seattle if I'm not mistaken but def SF and NY took the top spots. The only city I remember in a red state was the Dallas area (I could be wrong) but Dallas is a blue area in the red state so just more data points to consider. Thanks
In terms of the Ithaca area, Cornell influences the population. However, if you look at school demographics for the Ithaca City SD(which covers areas outside of the city), the Northeast School has a 26% Asian enrollment. Belle Sherman Elementary has a 17% Asian enrollment. So, that gives an idea of where the non student Asian population lives in the area.

Upstate, particularly in more rural areas, tended to be more lax on mandates. Some of those areas had relatively high rates.

Old 07-02-2022, 07:40 PM

A place of worship reference from Wappingers Falls: https://www.mhccc.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York