Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:42 AM

20 posts, read 27,883 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to upstate New York from the suburbs of Metro Detroit. I've briefly been to Buffalo and Utica - I liked both, Buffalo moreso. I've been dead-set on Albany twice the past few months, but keep being pulled away by claims of high crime and a general grasp that it's incredibly dull there.
I'm a sucker for college towns (I'm 24y/o). Not so much the artsy vibe that comes with them, but the excitement and pride. I guess I like to feel I'm a part of something where I live. Ritzy downtowns with cafes/jazz bars/boutiques/hipster bs etc. appeal to me, but I'm mostly a homebody anyway. I enjoy a small town (feel?), but easy access to a plethora of chain stores and strip malls makes me feel at home, so I prefer to stick around bigger cities.
Disregarding mediocre chain food, I'm a massive foodie - it's probably #1 on what I look for in a place. I've yet to have bad food in NY (probably why I'm moving there), so I'm not too concerned about it.
I like to have a lot of options in a small space. I recently went to Miami Beach and fell in love because there were ENDLESS things to do and I could WALK to all of it within 15 minutes. But, that's easier when it's summer 24/7.
I LOVE driving, and HATE parking. Ease of parking may be what my decision comes down to.

Honestly, there's not much of a way of knowing where I'd truly feel at home in NY. It always seems to happen where you least expect it. "Home" is exactly what I'm looking for, though. I'd be thrilled to get everyone's take on Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse/Albany and everything in between. Personal experiences, what you've heard, your favorite spots, what makes these places great and unique, comparisons, the "vibes" of these places. Anything you can throw at me!

Edit: I guess I should add that the reason I've chosen NY is the quality. From my visits there and the people I've met, I've seen a high regard for quality in everything and everyone.

Last edited by mindflowers; 04-03-2017 at 04:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 06:00 AM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Albany's crime rate is the lowest of the 4 major Upstate center cities actually. It is also the smallest of the 4 center cities as well; but Schenectady, Troy and even Saratoga Springs are also in that metro area.

Also, what kind of employment would you be looking for? That could play a part in terms of where to look.

Ithaca fits what you've described, but it is a smaller area.

All of the bigger Upstate cities have a college town area within them. So, it may be a matter of which one you like.

Utica doesn't really have a college town area in the city, even with 3 colleges there. Clinton just outside of Utica would be a better fit in that regard, with its quaint village look and Hamilton College there as well.

Brockport west of Rochester is similar, but is a bigger village and has access to a bigger city within minutes.

Schenectady's Union Street area from around Union College to Upper Union Street may be a sleeper in this regard. It has some things in the area, but you can again head over to Albany, Saratoga Springs or even Troy within minutes.

Syracuse's Greater University Hill area(as the American Planning Association refers to it) is likely most well know due to Syracuse University. That consists of the University Hill/University and Westcott neighborhoods. Westcott and the Marshall/Crouse business districts have a range of restaurants and other businesses.

I'll add more later or others can chime in with more information.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany's crime rate is the lowest of the 4 major Upstate center cities actually. It is also the smallest of the 4 center cities as well; but Schenectady, Troy and even Saratoga Springs are also in that metro area.

Also, what kind of employment would you be looking for? That could play a part in terms of where to look.

Ithaca fits what you've described, but it is a smaller area.

All of the bigger Upstate cities have a college town area within them. So, it may be a matter of which one you like.

Utica doesn't really have a college town area in the city, even with 3 colleges there. Clinton just outside of Utica would be a better fit in that regard, with its quaint village look and Hamilton College there as well.

Brockport west of Rochester is similar, but is a bigger village and has access to a bigger city within minutes.

Schenectady's Union Street area from around Union College to Upper Union Street may be a sleeper in this regard. It has some things in the area, but you can again head over to Albany, Saratoga Springs or even Troy within minutes.

Syracuse's Greater University Hill area(as the American Planning Association refers to it) is likely most well know due to Syracuse University. That consists of the University Hill/University and Westcott neighborhoods. Westcott and the Marshall/Crouse business districts have a range of restaurants and other businesses.

I'll add more later or others can chime in with more information.

Also, the SE Quadrant has a range of neighborhoods as well, with the Collegetown neighborhood located next to the University of Rochester.

Buffalo has Buffalo State near the Elmwood Village.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:29 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
If by "excitement and pride" you're referring to athletic fandom in the sense of Ann Arbor and East Lansing, note that aspect of the Midwest/Southern college town vibe is somewhat separated from college towns in the Northeast. Syracuse University is probably the best example of community fandom of college athletics in upstate NY. Syracuse is a relatively auto-centric area compared to the major Northeast metros, and even some of their immediate hinterlands (i.e. Albany, Lancaster, Reading, Harrisburg). The economy is fairly rusty but coming from Michigan you may be used to that.

Ithaca does now have a box-store shopping area (NY 13 south of NY 79) to go with the downtown and Collegetown shopping districts. Cornell hockey and lacrosse have a more devoted following than its football team. Ithaca College football has its moments although Division III, it's not exactly Michigan. Under-employment has been an issue in this area but you might get lucky and find a career path. Some in Ithaca like to think it's an urban area and declare war on the car, but it's still a pretty small town and the war on the car means you park a block away (unless you are working on the Cornell campus, where the car may be 1.2 miles off).

State College, PA is perhaps the most northeasterly example of a college town that circles the big football stadium. There is an appreciable amount of foodie-ness in that area, and probably a more vibrant economy in general than most of upstate NY. It's also less snowy and sunnier than typical upstate NY. The war on the car here is decades behind Ithaca, but you can shop in all of the same boxes. Honestly I see more evidence of pride and care, in town and rural central PA (except in particular disfavored spots), than I see in NY, or certainly in MI.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:24 AM

I will say if you want something around the University Hill/University area of Syracuse, this is something to consider for going Downtown(Armory and Hanover Squares): Connective Corridor

Also, in terms of shopping, Syracuse does have this shopping center within city limits, which is the biggest in the state and is the 6th biggest in the US: https://www.destinyusa.com

You have other big box corridors in the immediate area as well, with Erie Boulevard East being the closest to the University area.

Given the original post, the Westcott area or something nearby could be a good fit: Home - Westcott Community

Crouse Marshall info: The B.I.D. » Crouse-Marshall

More: Welcome to University Hill!

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm

Public Transit - Westcott Community

Areas of Buffalo along and west of Main Street near Canisius College and University at Buffalo may be worth a look. You would have the option of taking the subway to Downtown.

In Albany, Pine Hills is where the College of St. Rose campus is located, but you may have students from other nearby campuses in the neighborhood as well.

Troy has the Hill neighborhood where RPI(Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) is located.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-03-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 03:07 PM

Just curious, but which suburban area of Detroit would you be coming from?

Old 04-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the info! I have so much to think about. But also so little? I feel most of these cities are pretty similar. I wish I had a better idea of exactly what it is I'm looking for. To respond to a previous question you asked - I'm not worried about jobs at the moment. I'm still deciding what I'd like to go to school for, and just working lower end jobs until I decide on a career path. Kind of interested in real estate, though.

In Michigan I grew up in Sterling Heights in Macomb County and spent a lot of time in Oakland County (Troy, Royal Oak, Birmingham). I just spent the past two years in San Diego. Beautiful place, but not a fan of the massive weed culture, the lazy vibes, flakiness, or the lack of seasons.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:12 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindflowers View Post
I'm looking to move to upstate New York from the suburbs of Metro Detroit. I've briefly been to Buffalo and Utica - I liked both, Buffalo moreso. I've been dead-set on Albany twice the past few months, but keep being pulled away by claims of high crime and a general grasp that it's incredibly dull there.
I'm a sucker for college towns (I'm 24y/o). Not so much the artsy vibe that comes with them, but the excitement and pride. I guess I like to feel I'm a part of something where I live. Ritzy downtowns with cafes/jazz bars/boutiques/hipster bs etc. appeal to me, but I'm mostly a homebody anyway. I enjoy a small town (feel?), but easy access to a plethora of chain stores and strip malls makes me feel at home, so I prefer to stick around bigger cities.
Disregarding mediocre chain food, I'm a massive foodie - it's probably #1 on what I look for in a place. I've yet to have bad food in NY (probably why I'm moving there), so I'm not too concerned about it.
I like to have a lot of options in a small space. I recently went to Miami Beach and fell in love because there were ENDLESS things to do and I could WALK to all of it within 15 minutes. But, that's easier when it's summer 24/7.
I LOVE driving, and HATE parking. Ease of parking may be what my decision comes down to.

Honestly, there's not much of a way of knowing where I'd truly feel at home in NY. It always seems to happen where you least expect it. "Home" is exactly what I'm looking for, though. I'd be thrilled to get everyone's take on Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse/Albany and everything in between. Personal experiences, what you've heard, your favorite spots, what makes these places great and unique, comparisons, the "vibes" of these places. Anything you can throw at me!

Edit: I guess I should add that the reason I've chosen NY is the quality. From my visits there and the people I've met, I've seen a high regard for quality in everything and everyone.
I'm gonna second the Pine Hills area of Albany, very college feel and a safer part of the city. Basically, this general area: https://goo.gl/maps/dv3wYNP7myJ2

Further west of here is SUNY Albany, and then Colonie, which has some more upscale chains like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, LL Bean, and PF Changs.

Probably the #1 reason I'd look into Albany is that it is much closer to NYC than the other cities, so you mentioned ritzy downtown areas, jazz bars, boutiques, etc that is the hub for all of that- only 3 hours away from Albany, or less depending on traffic. NYC is about 6-7 hours away from Rochester and Buffalo, respectively. Something to keep in mind.

Albany vibe is more Northeastern, New England-ish than points west. Good or bad depending on how you think of it. Less Michigan like, if you're looking for something different than "Midwest Nice". I've known MI people who moved here to NJ, some hate the rudeness and fast-pace, others need that and thrive on it. It all depends. Albany is more laid back than NJ, but still I find the people to be similarly reserved.

Old 04-03-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I'm gonna second the Pine Hills area of Albany, very college feel and a safer part of the city. Basically, this general area: https://goo.gl/maps/dv3wYNP7myJ2

Further west of here is SUNY Albany, and then Colonie, which has some more upscale chains like Whole Foods, Trader Joes, LL Bean, and PF Changs.

Probably the #1 reason I'd look into Albany is that it is much closer to NYC than the other cities, so you mentioned ritzy downtown areas, jazz bars, boutiques, etc that is the hub for all of that- only 3 hours away from Albany, or less depending on traffic. NYC is about 6-7 hours away from Rochester and Buffalo, respectively. Something to keep in mind.

Albany vibe is more Northeastern, New England-ish than points west. Good or bad depending on how you think of it. Less Michigan like, if you're looking for something different than "Midwest Nice". I've known MI people who moved here to NJ, some hate the rudeness and fast-pace, others need that and thrive on it. It all depends. Albany is more laid back than NJ, but still I find the people to be similarly reserved.
Yes, the (kinda) small commute to other large cities within the northeast is pretty appealing to me.
Not gonna lie, I've made sure there's a Trader Joe's within 20 minutes of every place I've looked lmao. Kind of limiting, but Trader Joe's is a dream. Small, but loaded with options but not OVERWHELMING options, unique products, affordable, appealing interior & marketing. Damn. If Trader Joe's were a city, that is where I'd be packing my bags to right now.

Um.. anyway..... yeah! Honestly, I've never had a true New England experience so I can't say how I feel about the personalities compared to Midwesterners. I don't think I'd mind the rudeness, as I like to keep to myself when I'm out and about. I've kinda been bogged down by my family's drug and poverty issues my whole life to be honest - which has nothing to do with Michigan. But I would like to be surrounded by more people with a good head on their shoulders and ambition. I think that's the kind of positivity I need in my life, and I'm sure I could find it in any state, but I've noticed it's strong on the east coast. San Diego had ingenuine people on every spectrum. Michigan has genuinely good people lacking motivation. From what I've seen in NY, it's genuinely good people WITH motivation.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindflowers View Post
Thanks for all the info! I have so much to think about. But also so little? I feel most of these cities are pretty similar. I wish I had a better idea of exactly what it is I'm looking for. To respond to a previous question you asked - I'm not worried about jobs at the moment. I'm still deciding what I'd like to go to school for, and just working lower end jobs until I decide on a career path. Kind of interested in real estate, though.

In Michigan I grew up in Sterling Heights in Macomb County and spent a lot of time in Oakland County (Troy, Royal Oak, Birmingham). I just spent the past two years in San Diego. Beautiful place, but not a fan of the massive weed culture, the lazy vibes, flakiness, or the lack of seasons.
Ok.....This gives some frame of reference. I'd say that suburban villages/communities like Pittsford, Fayetteville, Manlius, Williamsville, Delmar, New Hartford and perhaps a few others are kind of like more quaint Birminghams.

Towns like Clay, Amherst, Greece and Colonie are similar to Sterling Heights in terms of being a bigger, more populated place with an auto centric suburban built form in terms of set up.

Towns like Manlius, Perinton, Guilderland, Niskayuna, Orchard Park and Vestal are similar to Troy.

In terms of Royal Oak, there isn't really anything off the top of my head that compares. Perhaps the Kenmore-Tonawanda area due to population and having a relatively dense core area(minus the high rises, zoo and being an area nightlife destination). Same with Ferndale(another Detroit suburb known for its nightlife and its LGBT community). You may have other city neighborhoods that have a similar vibe/feel to some degree though.

Towns like DeWitt and Brighton are somewhat similar to say West Bloomfield or northern Oak Park.

Hopefully, that will give you some idea of some of the places in Upstate NY.

As for the people, you'll have a range like anywhere else, but I'd say that most are down to earth type of folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York