U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:39 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,053,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like the teaching positions may be there, if this is correct: Tracking Local Jobs: For the first time in years, teachers are in
I did see the anticipated teacher shortage. If you go that route, stem and esl seems to have the most needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:57 AM

2,670 posts, read 2,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Is this man crazy? Is he out of his freakin' mind? Does he even know how to use a calculator?

That means that four years of college would cost each student $25,880. It's not unreasonable to think that out of a population of almost 20,000,000 that a million people might take advantage of Cuomo's offer. That comes out to $6,470,000,000 a year! Or $25,880,000,000 for four years! If Cuomo's $163 million were correct and a million people applied that would only amount to $163 per student.

His own office stated that: "some 940,000 families will qualify." So let's say that the 940,000 figure is correct that's still $24,327,000,000 for four years. Or $6,081,750,000 a year. Let's say they all decide to attend community college at $4,350 for two years that would come to only a paltry $4,089,000,000 or $2,045,000,000 a year. If a four year college tuition is paid for by the state. Why would anyone even want to consider attending a two year community college?

If Cuomo's $163 million figure was correct and tuition is $25,880 for four years. 163 million divided by 25,880 would mean that only 6298 students would be eligible. That's 6298 out of 20,000,000 people.

My God, this man must really think that people are that stupid and gullible. Good old P.T. Barnum was right. I'm just so glad I'm outta' there.
Your numbers don't lie. So either tuition is heavily inflated by the state (it actually costs the state $163 but they charge you $4350) or Cuomo's numbers are way, way off. It can't be both. You and I don't agree on much, Ex New Yorker, but you are 100% right on this.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:08 AM

61,733 posts, read 87,206,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Your numbers don't lie. So either tuition is heavily inflated by the state (it actually costs the state $163 but they charge you $4350) or Cuomo's numbers are way, way off. It can't be both. You and I don't agree on much, Ex New Yorker, but you are 100% right on this.
Just wondering if people are considering the room and board, which the student's family will have to pay? https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ege/index.html

Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 AM

2,670 posts, read 2,893,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just wondering if people are considering the room and board, which the student's family will have to pay? https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ege/index.html
Even using community college numbers (which don't include room and board) of $4350/yr, the numbers don't add up to what Cuomo is suggesting.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Even using community college numbers (which don't include room and board) of $4350/yr, the numbers don't add up to what Cuomo is suggesting.
While I'm sure the math is fuzzy, it's not as far off as suggested.
You have to subtract the state financial aid that the students would have already been entitled to. Let's just say that it would average 1k, that's 940,000,000 per year that's now folded into the new plan. I'm not familiar with NYS financial aid but I'm guessing that there are many other scholarships/grants that are now unnecessary and the funds will go to the free plan.
It's not a simple X+Y=Z formula

Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM

3,952 posts, read 2,212,345 times
Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to read and understand where I'm coming from.

I guess the only somewhat accurate way to figure this out would be to add up the tuition costs of all those that are attending both SUNY and the community colleges. Then subtract from that those who's families are earning above the $100,000 to $125,000 threshold. They would then have to add the tuition costs of all those New Yorker's who are attending out of state colleges and universities that offer a comparable education and whose families are below that threshold. More than likely with the offer of free tuition they would have no need to go out of state for a college education. For many of them they could commute while living at home to save on rent or living in a dormitory.

From my previous post:

Quote:
His own office stated that: "some 940,000 families will qualify." So let's say that the 940,000 figure is correct that's still $24,327,000,000 for four years. Or $6,081,750,000 a year.
Even if one quarter of the 940,000 were to accept the offer of free tuition to a four year state college the cost to the state would be $6,081,750,000 or $1,520,437,500 annually. It's still in the billions.

I have no doubt in my mind that the public education system will be encouraging people to take advantage of free tuition at state universities and community colleges. One of their goals is to transform a college education into the public education system courtesy of taxpayers. You just wait until your college administrators, professors and employees get their hands into the public trough. Especially if many become unionized.

Politicians who grand stand with all of these lofty goals are great at spending other people's money. After all to them it is an endless resource that is ripe for the taking. Once they're out of office they can wipe their hands clean and leave the problem for the next administration. As the saying goes: "Figures lie and liars figure".

The other $64,000 question will be: Where or what guarantee will there be of all these projected jobs coming from to accommodate all of these college grads who will be forced to remain in New York? With the prospect of even higher taxes to pay for free tuition. I can't conceive of too many businesses that would want to relocate to New York as it would add tremendously to the cost of doing business in New York. In addition it would add to their labor costs. As they would have to pay their employees at least what is considered a living wage.

Obamacare is a great example of where a program with lofty goals that benefit only a few while hurting the many has been an abject failure. Those of us who purchase private health insurance were promised an annual reduction of $2,500 annually on our premiums. Only to find that insurance costs have more than doubled since Obamacare's inception.

I don't trust or have faith in politician's as far as I could throw them.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 PM

3,952 posts, read 2,212,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
While I'm sure the math is fuzzy, it's not as far off as suggested.
You have to subtract the state financial aid that the students would have already been entitled to. Let's just say that it would average 1k, that's 940,000,000 per year that's now folded into the new plan. I'm not familiar with NYS financial aid but I'm guessing that there are many other scholarships/grants that are now unnecessary and the funds will go to the free plan.
It's not a simple X+Y=Z formula
Justify it as much as you wish. I think you're living in a fantasy world. There's no such thing as a free lunch, never has been or ever will be. Somebody, somewhere has to pay for it.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I think you're living in a fantasy world.
It's my favorite place, lol.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:06 PM

1,995 posts, read 592,932 times
If this had existed before I moved out of NY I think I might have stayed. I would have loved to go back and finish my education. I think this is a great idea.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:11 PM

4,742 posts, read 1,918,995 times
So low income earning people with college age going kids will perhaps move to NY, and wealthy will move out to avoid paying high taxes and college fee, if they have college age kids?

Seems like NY may become an interesting state.

Folks will try to cling on welfare to avoid paying high taxes and get free college for the kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York