U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 04:33 AM

6,367 posts, read 2,874,837 times

Advertisements

There are many conditions to this bill that in the end will nullify the free tuition - now is the state going to send these kids and families to collections - who knows?

From what I've read: the student must apply for Pell grants, state aid, scholarships - to be eligible - after that the Free part kicks in - but with the following conditions - a 4 yr school - the student must have a minimum of 15 credit hours - the student must have a certain average to continue in the program - they must graduate within the 4 yr period with a degree.

That's one of the kickers as many kids I know have had to go 5/6 yrs as the classes they needed to finish a degree were limited and they couldn't get into the class.

The students then have to stay and work in NY in their field for which they received their degree for a 3/4 yr period. Moving out of state - exempts them from the free tuition and they will receive a bill - without a 6 month grace period - that they will have to pay.

These kids are also responsible for their food, lodging, transportation costs, books, lab fees ect so it isn't exactly free - Cuomo may advertise it as such but we all know there is most always a hitch when things are "Free".

As someone who helped with college tuition as well as my kids taking out loans - I'm envious just as I was with the 1st time buyers program when we didn't receive any consideration for buying and paying for our home with no compensation. I understand the philosophy but don't agree with it.

We really can't wait to move from this state and will do so hopefully within the next 5 yrs. It's a shame as NY is a wonderful state with lots to offer - unfortunately they nickel and dime you to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 05:08 AM

61,774 posts, read 87,276,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
There are many conditions to this bill that in the end will nullify the free tuition - now is the state going to send these kids and families to collections - who knows?

From what I've read: the student must apply for Pell grants, state aid, scholarships - to be eligible - after that the Free part kicks in - but with the following conditions - a 4 yr school - the student must have a minimum of 15 credit hours - the student must have a certain average to continue in the program - they must graduate within the 4 yr period with a degree.

That's one of the kickers as many kids I know have had to go 5/6 yrs as the classes they needed to finish a degree were limited and they couldn't get into the class.

The students then have to stay and work in NY in their field for which they received their degree for a 3/4 yr period. Moving out of state - exempts them from the free tuition and they will receive a bill - without a 6 month grace period - that they will have to pay.

These kids are also responsible for their food, lodging, transportation costs, books, lab fees ect so it isn't exactly free - Cuomo may advertise it as such but we all know there is most always a hitch when things are "Free".

As someone who helped with college tuition as well as my kids taking out loans - I'm envious just as I was with the 1st time buyers program when we didn't receive any consideration for buying and paying for our home with no compensation. I understand the philosophy but don't agree with it.

We really can't wait to move from this state and will do so hopefully within the next 5 yrs. It's a shame as NY is a wonderful state with lots to offer - unfortunately they nickel and dime you to death.
From what I read in the article is that if you get another scholarship or aid, the Excelsior Scholarship(which this called) covers the rest of the tuition. I'm wondering one gets more financial aid than say the actual tuition, does that nullify the Excelsior Scholarship or can you get the Excelsior and put that aid towards the room and board?

I also wonder if you end up getting more commuter students in the SUNY system in order to circumvent the room and board. So, say you are a kid from the Liverpool area, perhaps you just commute to SUNY-Oswego(some that live in northern Clay may do that anyway) or if you are from Henrietta perhaps you just commute to SUNY-Brockport or SUNY-Geneseo(some may already do that as well),

Then, this is another thing that could come into play. There are programs like Syracuse University's University College that appeals more to "non traditional" students(read older folks that want to go to or back to school). With this scholarship, you can be of any age and will a program like University College take a hit, as people can now go to a SUNY school(SUNY-Oswego has a Downtown Syracuse facility)?

How does this come into play for online courses as well?

Another thing is what happens to the SUNY component to the Say Yes to Education programs in Syracuse and Buffalo. I know that the Syracuse program already had an economic stipulation where I believe families that had a household income over $75,000 could qualify for scholarships for the private schools in the network, but not for SUNY schools. So, this Excelsior Scholarship may open things up for those in the $75-100k and later 125k range in Syracuse(if I'm not mistaken).

This may mean that you can pick one or the other, as I know people that work at Syracuse University and have children in the SCSD that had to choose between the Say Yes scholarship or SU's Remitted Tuition benefit.

There's also the potential for people to move into the state in order to qualify for the Excelsior Scholarship.

So, there are still a lot of things that need to be answered, pro or con.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-12-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-12-2017, 07:39 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,216,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Take it from me once you're outta' there you'll never miss it. It was the best move that we ever made. 5 years is plenty of time to plan accordingly. Other than maybe California just find a place where you've always wanted to be and you'll do okay. It's a great big wonderful country there's a place for just about everyone. Good luck in your endeavor!

Old 04-12-2017, 08:14 AM

More: Why Senator DeFrancisco opposes free SUNY tuition - Story

First step to signing up for SUNY's free tuition - Story

Do you qualify for free tuition? SUNY releases a Q&A - Story

https://www.suny.edu/smarttrack/type...ips/excelsior/

Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,596,651 times
All of the cost have not been added into this equation. If this program is successful and attracts even more students in suny schools, next will end up being a multi billion expansion on all of the campuses. Again, even more taxes to finance that.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:26 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,821,976 times
The college education bubble started to burst in '07, with the glut of law degree grads, who still cannot find jobs. A friend who is a pharmacist reports his industry is not hurting for workers, either, yet Fisher and other schools across the country have added pharmacy schools (he graduated from UB some years ago). All because of low interest rates and other gimmicks.

All this expansion, construction, and perceived good health within higher-ed has been fueled by more and more debt. Nobody can tell me that SUNY is a great deal anymore, with a straight face. Maybe for tech degree grads (some or most of them), but SUNY churns out thousands of grads with worthless degrees every year, much of it on the backs of taxpayers.

To me, this smacks of desperation on the part of SUNY, they're desperately trying to cling to a model for higher-ed which won't exist for most students in 10 years.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM

More articles on the program: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/1...-students.html

New York State Becomes The Latest To Offer Free Tuition : NPR Ed : NPR

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydai...icle-1.3047708

Old 04-12-2017, 03:20 PM

Like they say: "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Even when you factor in scholarships, grants etc. and even if they are subtracted from this supposed free tuition the total cost to the State of New York will be in the billions. Who is it that pays for both the grants and scholarships? I'm not trying to argue for or against that. But for all intents and purposes it always falls on those who pay taxes.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,055,847 times
Quit being so negative. I'm telling you that not many of the magical 940k are eligible.
1- it's a last resort thing. If you're poor, other subsidies pay first. This picks up the rest
2- you have to be full time and on track. That's not possible for a lot of people who have to work and have kids.
3- you have to have a 3.0. Not really hard for most but hard for some

Old 04-12-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Quit being so negative. I'm telling you that not many of the magical 940k are eligible.
1- it's a last resort thing. If you're poor, other subsidies pay first. This picks up the rest
2- you have to be full time and on track. That's not possible for a lot of people who have to work and have kids.
3- you have to have a 3.0. Not really hard for most but hard for some
Just a guess, but I'll bet you voted for Cuomo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York