U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 05:03 AM

475 posts, read 241,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Just a guess, but I'll bet you voted for Cuomo?
Probably is Cuomo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 06:01 AM

26,337 posts, read 26,258,558 times
Quote:
I know, I know as with many government programs they will never cost the taxpayers anything until they do. If the state were to cover far less or nothing at all. Then nothing changes and there would be no need to announce such a program. If Cuomo's figures are correct and it will only cost the state a paltry 163 million. That's 163 million more that the taxpayers of New York will have to cough up. The question then becomes: When does it all end?
Sure, but as I was saying, your math was wrong as it didn't factor in some key variables. Tuition free college for NY residents might mean future generations of New Yorkers will be better at these things.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:14 AM

6,344 posts, read 2,865,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I'm from Indiana and haven't voted for governor since moving to NY. I'm not in favor of the welfare state but I'm telling you that it's not as much as you're thinking.
There's already been articles on how few will actually be able to take advantage.
Imo, it mostly helps the working class familes who figured they'd get nothing so they saved what they could. Since the tuition is free, it unties the money to help the kid stay on track to graduate in 4 years.
I'm going to try to use it to get another degree bc mine are worthless but idk if I'm eligible.
Either way, I'd rather pay for your college than your jail cell.

But therein lies the problem. As I've said most students can not graduate in 4 years these days due to the limited class schedule on many of these classes that they need for there degrees - mostly in the 4 yr schools.

Also the economic recovery in NY State is not as high as in other states and the program is dependent on the student obtaining a job in NY for a 3-4 yr period of time to fulfill the contract. My son went to Kettering University - formerly the GMI Institute. He often bemoaned the fact that it would have been cheaper to go to SUNY - but Kettering used a co-op system. 3 months of studies - the next three months they worked in a job consistent with their degree where they earned good money - back to 3 months study period ect. After finishing his thesis and graduating - my son worked as a Mechanical Engineer here in Buffalo for 3 yrs - paid off his school loans - all $80,000 of them and then was recruited as a Mechanical Engineer for UPS - the place he did his co-op.

My son's friend went to SUNY Buffalo for his aeronautical engineering degree. He needed 3 classes to graduate - he was able to get the 1 class his 4th year - another his 5th year - but struck out on the last class because it was only offered 1 semester and could not accommodate the amount of students that needed that class to graduate. The kid ended up frustrated and quit - wasting 5 years of schooling.

There is a lot of backlash from the students now because they realize that the "Free College Tuition" is really not free with all the conditions and doesn't cover all college fees such as books and room & board. Not all but I'd say a majority of kids and parents that think this is a great idea - have not realized exactly what is provided and what they still have to provide.

Old 04-15-2017, 07:35 AM

61,733 posts, read 87,206,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
But therein lies the problem. As I've said most students can not graduate in 4 years these days due to the limited class schedule on many of these classes that they need for there degrees - mostly in the 4 yr schools.

Also the economic recovery in NY State is not as high as in other states and the program is dependent on the student obtaining a job in NY for a 3-4 yr period of time to fulfill the contract. My son went to Kettering University - formerly the GMI Institute. He often bemoaned the fact that it would have been cheaper to go to SUNY - but Kettering used a co-op system. 3 months of studies - the next three months they worked in a job consistent with their degree where they earned good money - back to 3 months study period ect. After finishing his thesis and graduating - my son worked as a Mechanical Engineer here in Buffalo for 3 yrs - paid off his school loans - all $80,000 of them and then was recruited as a Mechanical Engineer for UPS - the place he did his co-op.

My son's friend went to SUNY Buffalo for his aeronautical engineering degree. He needed 3 classes to graduate - he was able to get the 1 class his 4th year - another his 5th year - but struck out on the last class because it was only offered 1 semester and could not accommodate the amount of students that needed that class to graduate. The kid ended up frustrated and quit - wasting 5 years of schooling.

There is a lot of backlash from the students now because they realize that the "Free College Tuition" is really not free with all the conditions and doesn't cover all college fees such as books and room & board. Not all but I'd say a majority of kids and parents that think this is a great idea - have not realized exactly what is provided and what they still have to provide.
What you may get is more students taking summer classes to get their degree within 4 years, as you can go through the summer as well.

You may also have some kids that already have college credits via AP/IB courses, but qualify for the scholarship actually use it.

I also think this is trying to possibly indirectly jump start more startups/entrepreneurs or build more talent for startups/businesses/companies.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:29 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,212,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, but as I was saying, your math was wrong as it didn't factor in some key variables. Tuition free college for NY residents might mean future generations of New Yorkers will be better at these things.
Quote:
as in this comes into effect after federal programs kick in and other financial assistance programs (whether from a third party or something else)
Well let me put it to you this way. When Cuomo announces that the state will provide free tuition at its universities and community colleges, then why would any outside source continue with financial assistance programs or award scholarships and grants? Especially when the taxpayers of the State of New York will be on the hook and not them. Just as funds for the Clinton Foundation have dried up since the Clinton's are no longer in public office. There's nothing to be gained. It's as if some benevolent benefactor comes in and said that they're going to pick up the cost of your mortgage or car loan. Would you then continue to pay? Somehow I doubt it. It's just human nature. You'd better be careful of what you have wished for. As always taxpayer money is an endless resource that is always ripe for the taking by any and all takers.

My math is based on actual tuition costs and there is nothing in those articles indicating whether scholarships, grants or financial assistance programs will continue after this program is fully implemented. There is no guarantee of that. My guess and it's only a guess is that they will not. You can expect backlash from the rest of the country as far as federal funds are concerned. Why should residents of other states be forced using their federal taxpayer dollars to subsidize New York's state colleges and universities? What will they get in return? As those who graduate will have to stay and work in New York. If not they will have to pay the money back. Tough luck if they can't find work in New York. In which case they would have been better off going to college elsewhere. At least they would have the freedom to seek employment anywhere throughout the country and world.

I don't understand your last sentence. "Tuition free college for NY residents might mean future generations of New Yorkers will be better at these things." Be better at what things? You really do not need a college degree to figure this all out. It's just another great big government boondoggle.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:28 PM

I also wonder if school districts such as Solvay and East Syracuse-Minoa will still be a part of this program or will it just serve as another option for graduates of those school districts?

OCC Advantage - OCC Advantage - Onondaga Community College

Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 AM

17 posts, read 25,584 times
Quote:
Take it from me once you're outta' there you'll never miss it. It was the best move that we ever made. 5 years is plenty of time to plan accordingly. Other than maybe California just find a place where you've always wanted to be and you'll do okay. It's a great big wonderful country there's a place for just about everyone. Good luck in your endeavor!

Where did you go?

Old 04-16-2017, 07:57 AM

3,952 posts, read 2,212,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlearn2 View Post
Where did you go?
Arizona.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:30 PM

Here is some information about a similar program that has chapters in Buffalo and Syracuse: Home - Say Yes to Education

Home - Say Yes to Education - Buffalo

Home - Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

It will be interesting to see what happens with the SUNY component in regards to these 2 chapters.

Old 04-17-2017, 06:50 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,594,349 times
Even the NY Times doesn't like the "free" education

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/14/o...Fnyregion&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York