Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 05:21 PM

96 posts, read 394,575 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Does any one know about the quality of public high schools in Columbia County along the Mass border? Any you would recommend? Chatham seems to come up a lot. What is that like?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 04:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,370 times
We were planning a move to Columbia a few years back and looked into Taconic Hills School District. We were very impressed with what we saw-much better than what we deal with in Wappingers Schools. It was a brand new building that houses K-12-about 1200 students total. It had a performing arts center in the middle of the building, pool, fitness center that the public could also use, and a real sense of a community school. Taxes were reasonable 4 years ago-they've gone up I am sure. But housing is lower in the area than either north or south counties. I wish things had been different and my kids could have gone there-but life throws curve balls.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:04 AM

7 posts, read 37,998 times
Chatham is a great school as is the town. I coached gymnastics there years ago - I don't even know if they still have that as a sport - I don't think so.

My son goes to Maple Hill Middle School and will be going to the High School in the fall. It is in Schodack on the Columbia County/Rennsselaer County/ Mass border and is also a great school - it is very small though it is growing. And has a very good reputation. The classroom size, teacher/student ratio is very acceptable.

On the flip side it is a very small school and the PTO people are very clique-y and eliteist. If you are affluent you would do well there if you are not so affluent, your kids might get the short end. I am speaking from experience since I went there and my sone now attends. But the good outweighs the bad.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:53 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
All of my children graduated from Chatham. It's what I would consider typical of upstate schools, on the above average side.

Unfortunately, one of my children got involved in drugs while living here, and will have lifelong problems stemming from his use...just to let you know that that does exist here (and everywhere) else. Luckily, none of the other kids did.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bela516 View Post
On the flip side it is a very small school and the PTO people are very clique-y and eliteist. If you are affluent you would do well there if you are not so affluent, your kids might get the short end. I am speaking from experience since I went there and my sone now attends. But the good outweighs the bad.
Bela, I am not sure if you are referring to Chatham or the Maple Hill School here. Is the Maple Hill School in Schodack? How is Chatham academically-- is there a group of highly- academic kids there who are not big on sports?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM

JFK-- How recently did your children attend? Sorry about the drug problem in your family-- hope it is resolved. Does seem to touch a lot of families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York