Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 05:16 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,111,409 times

Advertisements

I have lived in central NY for most of my life. I was born in Buffalo but moved to CNY when I was 4 years old. Moved to TX for a year in early 1990s.

Now I am very interested in the Thousand Island area. I would like to hear from those who are familiar with the areas along the St. Lawrence River. I do realize the winter weather can be quite bad with lots of storms, many feet of snow, etc. And summertime is tourist season, vacation land.

But is it an area you like so much you can adjust your thinking to not focus on what might be the negatives and just focus on the positives? I love being by the water, find it extremely peaceful and relaxing. I have no idea what living there might be like. Only what I can imagine. I would like to hear the "real" thing. Are you happy there? Or not?

Thank you for any information you care to pass along to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 PM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Actually, most of the snow is south of the St. Lawrence in the path of Lake Ontario lake effect snow.

Clayton and Alexandria Bay would be a couple of nice options on the river. Cape Vincent may be another one to look into and it also has a ferry that goes to Kingston ON. So, you may want to consider getting an Enhanced Driver's License, if you don't have a passport and I believe that the ferry is seasonal.

Alex Bay has a small hospital and Clayton is closer to I-81 in terms of access to more shopping in Watertown.

You also get some seasonal and some year round residents on say Wellesley Island.

Sometimes Sackets Harbor is lumped in with the 1000 Islands as well.

Hopefully others will chime in with more information.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:44 AM

Just curious, but are you open to other places that are on the water or just the 1000 Islands Region?

Old 05-27-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just curious, but are you open to other places that are on the water or just the 1000 Islands Region?
Yes, I am open. I was thinking about Sodus until the flooding happened. The Thousand Islands have had their share of too much water, but I do not believe anyone has lost their home to it.

I have to be honest and say I am not positively moving anywhere. But I dream about living by the water. I've told myself I can always visit those places, etc. But ever since I can remember, living by water has always been a wish I had (still have).

Fingerlake area would be nice, too.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 PM

What about say Brewerton or Sylvan Beach, among a few others, on Oneida Lake? Perhaps places like Rouses Point, Cooperstown, Penn Yan, Mayville or Ticonderoga could be villages/communities that could fit as well.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:05 AM

Quote:
What about say Brewerton or Sylvan Beach, among a few others, on Oneida Lake? Perhaps places like Rouses Point, Cooperstown, Penn Yan, Mayville or Ticonderoga could be villages/communities that could fit as well.
I live near Oneida Lake. Nothing in the area appeals to me.

I like Rouse's Point, drive through there when I visit family in VT.

There is just something about the River and area along it that keeps me interested. As I mentioned, at this point in my life, I probably won't be moving anywhere. But I am a firm believer that having a dream is good for me. And the idea that all places are within driving distance is a real plus.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I live near Oneida Lake. Nothing in the area appeals to me.

I like Rouse's Point, drive through there when I visit family in VT.

There is just something about the River and area along it that keeps me interested. As I mentioned, at this point in my life, I probably won't be moving anywhere. But I am a firm believer that having a dream is good for me. And the idea that all places are within driving distance is a real plus.
In that sense, Clayton would be the best bet, given everything you mentioned.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
In that sense, Clayton would be the best bet, given everything you mentioned.
Yes, Clayton is a favorite spot. Sounds like you agree?!

Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,137 times
Clayton is hands down one of my favorite places in the entire region. Would definitely move there in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity. Sackets Harbon is nice too but more on the lake than the river. A Bay isn't bad but I feel it's more tourist while Clayton is more charming IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York