Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most interesting of the 4 downtown?
Buffalo 7 38.89%
Rochester 8 44.44%
Syracuse 3 16.67%
Albany 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:09 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The the city really doesn't have any substantial lakefront access like Buffalo. It's out to the 'burbs' for that.
Not as much lakefront access as of now, but there is some waterfront access and its core in line with the thread is seeing quite a bit of construction. https://www.google.com/amp/www.syrac...ndows_fall.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/www.syrac...apartments.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/www.syrac...g_building.amp

All are currently being worked on.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-10-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 09:01 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,327,066 times
Quote:
BUT, it doesn't have a lake, beaches, a harbor, a major navigable river and a direct connection (within it's boundary) to another country a massive medical campus. All of which, no other city in the state can claim!
It also doesn't have the architecture to the extent that Buffalo has (among other things. But judging by your other narrow minded 'forget the past, tear everything down' posts, that doesn't seem to matter to you.

BTW, there is a major grocery store just outside the downtown core in Buffalo.
Rochester doesn't have a beach, a lake, a "massive medical campus"? Wow your ignorance on Rochester and your Buffalo delusion is amusing.

Rochester has 2 beaches in the city limits actually.
City of Rochester | Durand Eastman Beach
City of Rochester | Ontario Beach Park

Apparently you've never heard of the UofR medical program? Including being affiliated with the only heart transplant hospital outside of NYC? (Strong Memorial Hosptal). Which is also ranked 5th in NY? Where's Buffalo's hospital on that ranking which is part of its "massive medical campus"?
Best Hospitals in New York | US News Best Hospitals

Old 06-11-2017, 05:57 AM

937 posts, read 698,670 times
The CITY of Rochester proper does not have a beach but, extends north around those northern suburbs to water front property. The maps I have do not show that clearly as Ironodquoit appears to encompass everything directly north of the city. Considering the distance from the center core, it might as well just be considered a outer suburb.

As far as Strong Memorial, it's a single hospital is it not? Not a number of separate medical facilities, specifically 150 that are here.
Strong is well known, but ranking was not a subject or issue and was not brought up.

So other than the lake & beach, the rest still stands and I should of included access for Great Lakes 'lakers'!

Last edited by videobruce; 06-11-2017 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
BUT, it doesn't have a lake, beaches, a harbor, a major navigable river and a direct connection (within it's boundary) to another country a massive medical campus. All of which, no other city in the state can claim!
Come to think of it, the statement still stand since it wasn't a list of choices, it was a complete list that includes what I posted.

Rochester having access to the lake and a beach are only two, but that is apparently too complicated for you to understand.

Quote:
Wow your ignorance on Rochester and your Buffalo delusion is amusing.
So the amusing part is YOUR statement since YOU are the delusional one.

Old 06-11-2017, 02:28 PM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
While it is older, this thread has some Syracuse pictures: //www.city-data.com/forum/syrac...racuse-ny.html
Some more Downtown Syracuse pictures: An hours worth of Syracuse NY - SkyscraperCity

Downtown Syracuse is in the background: Happy Thanksgiving - Northside UP

More: Syracuse, N.Y. *Gallery* - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

Thanks to the people that took these great pictures, by the way.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
The CITY of Rochester proper does not have a beach but, extends north around those northern suburbs to water front property. The maps I have do not show that clearly as Ironodquoit appears to encompass everything directly north of the city. Considering the distance from the center core, it might as well just be considered a outer suburb.

As far as Strong Memorial, it's a single hospital is it not? Not a number of separate medical facilities, specifically 150 that are here.
Strong is well known, but ranking was not a subject or issue and was not brought up.

So other than the lake & beach, the rest still stands and I should of included access for Great Lakes 'lakers'!
Would you stop repeating false information about something you obviously have no clue about. The city PROPER does have 2 beaches. I don't know why you keep repeating that false statement that it doesn't. Both Charlotte Beach and Durand Eastman Beach are in the city proper. Why do you think they are in the "burbs"? Pull up a map and take a look if you can't understand.

Secondly, no, the UofR medical group is not just one hospital;. the University of Rochester which runs Strong Memorial Hospital, runs immediate care and has affiliations with hospitals all over the Rochester metro.

Before you keep sticking your foot in your mouth, you might want to read up on the UofR medical program. Because it's considered an elite program which is nationally ranked and also ranked much higher than Buffalo's.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/patie...acilities.aspx

Patient Care Facilities

Hospitals
Strong Memorial Hospital
Golisano Children's Hospital
Highland Hospital (an affiliate)
Thompson Health (an affiliate)
Noyes Health (an affiliate)
Jones Memorial Hospital (an affiliate)
Emergency Departments
Strong Memorial Hospital Emergency
Golisano Children's Hospital Emergency
Highland Hospital Emergency
Thompson Health Emergency
Strong West Emergency Care
Noyes Health Emergency Care
Jones Memorial Hospital Emergency Care
Urgent Care Centers
Urgent Care, Farmington
Urgent Care, Spencerport
Urgent Care, Henrietta
Urgent Care, Pittsford
Urgent Care, Newark
Urgent Care, Penfield
Orthopaedic Urgent Care
Urgent Care for Athletes
Howitt Urgent Dental Care Center
Outpatient Treatment Centers
Complex Care Center
Eastman Institute for Oral Health
Flaum Eye Institute
Neuromedicine Pain Management Center
Pain Treatment Center
Strong West
URMC Surgery Center
Wilmot Cancer Institute

Old 06-11-2017, 04:51 PM

Here's a google map for you videobruce. The city of Rochester extends up Lake Ave to Ontario Park Beach (Charlotte Beach). The city limits also extend up Culver rd to Lake Shore Blvd. Rochester taxes pay for the upkeep and city resources manage these beaches because they reside in the city proper. And the city has a very small area (only 35 sq. miles). So don't try to spin this as them being "so far" from the city core. It's a couple of miles from downtown. Not tens of miles. Which shouldn't mean anything really as it is.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ro...BlUQ8gEIhQEwEg

Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Would you stop repeating false information about something you obviously have no clue about. The city PROPER does have 2 beaches. I don't know why you keep repeating that false statement that it doesn't. Both Charlotte Beach and Durand Eastman Beach are in the city proper. Why do you think they are in the "burbs"? Pull up a map and take a look if you can't understand.
Secondly, no, the UofR medical group is not just one hospital;. the University of Rochester which runs Strong Memorial Hospital, runs immediate care and has affiliations with hospitals all over the Rochester metro.
1. Proper=the immediate downtown core, not a peninsula that extends out going thru a park
2. I made no reference to the suburbs,
3. I have more than one "map",
4. Again, it was a complete list ,not a list of choices? Do you NOT understand that? Rochestre does not have ALL SIX of those items I listed.
5. I refereed to a single "campus" all grouped together, not a number of facilities scattered all over the city.

Do I need to draw you a picture? My foot is not in my mouth, you don't understand the kings english.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:11 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Nice map DB, I like how the city grabbed slivers of land over the years to incorporate assets into it's boundaries. Of course I punched in Buffalo and found that their are no beaches within the city limits as all the waterfront boarders industrial sites or what would be classified as a commercial waterway, not a place I would want to be swimming.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:32 AM

All of the area shown in these two screen shots are all public, lake front access except for one small peninsula that has an elevator (not grain). Other than that, NONE of it is "industrial". Areas that were industrial have been cleaned up. Most of the actual shoreline is protected by rocks to prevent shore erosion.
The areas in red are sandy beaches, thou not intended for swimming (I never eluded to that).

As far as the one "technical" part of the city, far removed from the city via a single road, you are still going thru a suburb to get to it. The other, Charlotte, is also removed, thou "techinically" within city limits.
Attached Thumbnails
Most vibrant upstate downtown?-buffalo-waterfront-n.png   Most vibrant upstate downtown?-buffalo-waterfront-s.png  

Last edited by videobruce; 06-12-2017 at 06:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York