Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 10:40 PM

937 posts, read 699,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Did I say the only ones in county jails were city residents?
Directly no, indirectly it surely seemed so.
Quote:
D) If Buffalo sends prisoners to a jail which is paid for by county taxes, then you are receiving a benefit from your taxes.
Very little and debatable if that is actually a benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:16 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Not directly or indirectly. You made it up. Just admit it.

A County Jail accepts inmates from the entire county which it serves. You can look at it however you want, but reality is that county jails are a "service" funded at least partly by county taxes.

Again though, since my original comment had nothing to do with your area or county taxes, why are we even conversing? I mentioned apples and you said "no oranges!", except that even worse, my apples were located 500 miles from your oranges. One has nothing to do with the other.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Not directly or indirectly. You made it up. Just admit it.
I didn't "make up" anything.
The area that building occupies is prime downtown real estate and as far as I know pays no city taxes that would benefit the city.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:17 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,867,350 times
Upstate /western ny here.

HELL YES. split the state. Its time for a divorce.

I'm so sick of the onerous laws, regulations taxes, infringement of my 2nd amendment rights and other nonsense.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Do any of you actually think any state - or even large cities will split? Or that here is even a chance?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
I think this is a waste of time. Division into even more government does not sound like a particularly great idea. Reforming and pushing out corruption in the current government structure is a better use of time and effort. NYC's current success can be used to reasonably be used to bolster how the rest of the state is doing and if upstate does well, then it ultimately means NYC does better, too. Recall that New York state as a whole is a massive net federal giver--the state gives far more to the federal government in tax revenue than it receives in federal expenditure. It certainly makes more sense to turn frustrations on to the federal level to request federal funding for state wide projects.

It makes more sense to strengthen the economic ties between the different parts of New York state. California and Texas have been doing quite well as states because there are multiple prosperous portions and strong economic links within their respective states.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:32 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
I didn't "make up" anything.
The area that building occupies is prime downtown real estate and as far as I know pays no city taxes that would benefit the city.
You're very good at posting non sequiturs.

What does your pivot to the taxes paid by a jail (strange in itself), have to do with you inventing that I said all of your county's prisoners come from the city of Buffalo? Do you see where this is going?

I envision you next post to look like this:

You're wrong because the jail doesn't pay city taxes, and Christmas holiday displays shouldn't have orange lights in them.

It would make just as much sense.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I'm so sick of the onerous laws, regulations taxes, infringement of my 2nd amendment rights and other nonsense.
Whine, whine, whine. is that all you can do??
Then leave the state, or better yet leave the country. I hear Mexico might fit your bill. You can even go on a shooting spree and no one would notice.

Regulations & laws are to keep ones like you in place that don't care and/or don't know any better.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:41 AM

Airborneguy;
You were the one that brought "jails" into the mix. And it's "property" taxes that was the issue.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:24 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Whine, whine, whine. is that all you can do??
Suggesting random strangers on the internet move to Mexico and go on a shooting spree is closer to whining. Getting involved and working towards secession (or at least a change) is the opposite of whining.

Quote:
Then leave the state, or better yet leave the country.
That's the goal of secession... to leave the state.

Quote:
Regulations & laws are to keep ones like you in place that don't care and/or don't know any better.

Therin lies the problem. People like you support laws that are more and more restrictive because you think you "know better" than everyone else. This pompous, elitist attitude from uniformed people who think their _opinions_ are the only correct ones is exactly what drives the update desire to get away from downstate (and, to a greater extend, divides the entire country).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York