Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 AM

5 posts, read 8,313 times

Advertisements

I am in my 30s, engaged, with no children, and employment isn't a factor in our decision. I lived all my life in eastern Suffolk Long Island, then I moved to Florida for a few years for my dad, and I'm ready to go back to New York now but Long Island isn't an option due to the cost so I've been looking upstate.

I've done some research and New Hartford and Vestal seem to offer some newer or recently renovated apartments buildings in our range (up to $900 for a one bedroom), many chain stores and resteraunts, is safe, doesn't look run down, and are suburbs which I prefer to bigger cities. We don't have the opportunity to visit either town so I would like any opinions anyone can offer on choosing between the two. There is only so much you can get from google, YouTube, and google maps street view. I am not looking to move anymore west than Elmira and not anymore north than new Hartford. If anyone knows of a place that is like Vestal or New Hartford that I can look into as well that would be helpful too. Thank you and please let me know what information I left out that would be helpful.

Last edited by Pamela5; 06-09-2017 at 02:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 AM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela5 View Post
I am in my 30s, engaged, with no children, and employment isn't a factor in our decision. I lived all my life in eastern Suffolk Long Island, then I moved to Florida for a few years for my dad, and I'm ready to go back to New York now but Long Island isn't an option due to the cost so I've been looking upstate.

I've done some research and New Hartford and Vestal seem to offer some newer or recently renovated apartments buildings in our range (up to $900 for a one bedroom), many chain stores and resteraunts, is safe, doesn't look run down, and are suburbs which I prefer to bigger cities. We don't have the opportunity to visit either town so I would like any opinions anyone can offer on choosing between the two. There is only so much you can get from google, YouTube, and google maps street view. I am not looking to move anymore west than Elmira and not anymore north than new Hartford. If anyone knows of a place that is like Vestal or New Hartford that I can look into as well that would be helpful too. Thank you and please let me know what information I left out that would be helpful.
Both are nice and underrated suburbs in Upstate NY. Both have very good school districts as well. Parts of Vestal have been prone to the occasional flood next to the Susquehanna River, but it also has hilly portions that aren't. Plenty of shopping on Vestal Parkway/Route 434. It is pretty much car centric. Binghamton University is also in the town and may be a option in terms of events or higher education opportunities(schooling or employment).

New Hartford also has a village next to South Utica(generally nice part of that city) that is walkable and has a shopping plaza with quite a bit of shopping as well. Commercial Drive has more big box shopping.

Given your criteria, Horseheads, which is north of Elmira and may also be underrated in terms of an Upstate NY suburb may be another one to look into. It also has a walkable village and most of the big box shopping in that area is in adjacent Big Flats.

Your criteria also means that Syracuse and Albany suburbs could be in play. So, say DeWitt, Manlius, Cicero, Clay and Camillus in the Syracuse area; as well as Colonie, Niskayuna, Rotterdam, Guilderland, Bethlehem, Brunswick and Clifton Park in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area could be other suburban towns to research.

Perhaps even Lansing, an Ithaca area suburb could be an option as well due to having some big box/mall shopping and the type of housing you appear to be looking for.

Hope this helps and that others may chime in with more.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-09-2017 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-10-2017, 12:16 AM

Thank you so much for giving me so much information. I am currently looking into all the towns you have listed for me. I know upstate and Long Island are different, however if you or anyone else can tell me which of the towns you mentioned, as well as new Hartford and Vestal would be less of a culture shock for me and my fiancé who have lived most of our lives in eastern Suffolk Long Island that would be helpful as well. I know there will be an adjustment period anywhere, however I would like to know which locations would be easier to do so. Thank you again.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:33 AM

961 posts, read 2,503,888 times
You're going to pick and move to 1 of these areas w/o checking them out in person first?

Old 06-10-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
You're going to pick and move to 1 of these areas w/o checking them out in person first?
I don't have the means to check out several places in various parts of New York to make the best decision unfortunately.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Yeah, that would be important.....

Pamela5, as far as culture shock, I don't think it would be as big of a deal as you think. Eastern Suffolk isn't as densely populated as parts of Long Island further west. So, these places may be more in line with what you are use to in that part of the island. What may give Vestal the edge in similarities may be the presence of Downstate college students in the town most of the year in comparison to New Hartford. Besides that and maybe a more rural surrounding presence, I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:41 AM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,535 times
Half of the BU campus hails from LI

Old 06-12-2017, 04:15 PM

Just to add to this, in the Utica area, the Whitesboro SD area may also fit, as parts of it(the villages of Whitesboro and Yorkville(northern portion, as well as the Hart's Hill area) isn't too far from Commercial Drive and parts of the district(Deerfield/Marcy) are close to shopping in North Utica around Riverside Drive. Whitesboro is the biggest suburban school district in the Utica-Rome area.

In the Binghamton area, the town of Union may be another option. I'd say that the Endwell(CDP) portion of the town would be good in terms of a good school district(primarily Maine-Endwell, with parts near Endicott in the Union-Endicott SD), near shopping in the northern part of the village of Johnson City(Oakdale Mall/Wegmans, etc.) and you can still get across the Susquehanna to Vestal.

Just like the initial suburbs mentioned, both of these suburbs are also close enough to their cities for more events/things to do as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York