Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 AM

2 posts, read 13,413 times

Advertisements

A 72 hours Warrant for Removal has been issued to my family. Does anybody know where to find information/law about the landlords responsibilities of my belongings left behind. I have to remove items from a 3BR split level, attic, garage and shed as well as find a place to live all in 72 hours and i dont believe I will be able to get all my belongings out. Is there any advice out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky1026 View Post
A 72 hours Warrant for Removal has been issued to my family. Does anybody know where to find information/law about the landlords responsibilities of my belongings left behind.
I can't help but note the irony here. You're concerned about your landlords "responsibility" for your belongings, but you say nothing of your lack of responsiblity in paying your rent.

On eviction day, the sherrif (or a deputy) will be there for the removal of your remaining items. The landlord has no responsibility for your belongings once removed from the property. Rent a U-haul truck would be my advice.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 13,413 times
"not paying rent" was not the reason of this eviction. I happen to own the home I am being evicted from. Its complicated, there are attorneys: In short...an attorney made a mistake and made someone in my house a "life estate" instead of a "life estate with occupancy rights only"! I am now called the owner of the home but a tenant to the "life estate" who they call a "Landlord" who they say was granted the right to live there by himself!" I pay a mtg - I do not rent and am NEVER late! Eviction has been stayed while the legal team does their job. Thanks for the response but please remember there are other reasons to get a person evicted and it doesnt have to be because of non payment of rent only. During the course of my life I have rented for what seems to be eternity and was never ever late, not once, with my payments. I bought a house, an attorney made a mistake and its costing us! Now try going and rent and also have to pay a mortgage!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,370 times
Bunky -- What a mess for you! I don't have an answer for you, other than to comment that I would hope you're using a better lawyer to untangle this for you and your family. And that your legal people can get a stay or injuction (or whatever the applicable legal tool would be) so that you're not faced with this short deadline. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 6,179 times
I may be filing this too late. Go to court and file an Order to Show Cause why there are extenuating circumstances and you need time.

Sheriff will place all your belongings on the front lawn and unless you guard them, they will taken away by scavengers. Rockland County is brutal, in Orange County and NYC the LL has to put the apartment's furnishings in storage. The owner can take out once the fees are paid. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: