Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,913,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Happy Birthday early but as you obviously observed the cities history is not taught/know outside of the region. Even when I graduated in 78 kids didn't know or care about what was outside of our sphere, in fact the apathy level was pretty high.

Did you attend Dominican in Nyack?
Dominican College is in Orangeburg/Blauvelt, not Nyack. Exit 6E off the Palisades Parkway, or Exit 12 off of the NYS Thruway.

Class of 2000.

And there's no excuse for not knowing a little basic geography. My first roommate, who only lasted a weekend, didn't even know where Albany was. I don't think she was even aware that it is our state capital. She was from Long Island, and she switched rooms to live with another girl from L.I., which was fine with me. The roommate I spoke of didn't live with me until the Spring 1996 semester.

I wound up spending a lot of time in NYC during my time there, because I was either doing stuff for school or visiting my bf and his crew. He ended up moving up here in 1997, so I did a lot of solo traveling on the subway. Somehow I managed to keep from getting lost or getting on the wrong train.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 07-28-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 03:49 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,804,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
From that article:

My wife and I along with my brother lost our jobs in manufacturing in 1995 due to the high cost of doing business in New York State. The company we had worked for moved their facilities to another state solely because of that.

Growing up in the Hudson Valley we saw Lord & Burnham, Weyerhauser, GM, Anaconda Cable & Wire, Bobbie Brooks (Stretchini) and Otis Elevator* all leave the area for other states. You can't blame Trump for that.

Many parts of upstate New York are an industrial wasteland. This has been going on for decades. You can only blame your state government and its policies for that. If it weren't for NYC and the financial industry New York State would be finished. New York with its industrial base used to be known as the "Empire State". Now it's more like the "Vampire State" as it sucks the economic life blood out of many who choose to remain there.

*Kawasaki Rail Car now occupies those facilities.
Remind us where you moved again, was it New Mexico?

NY has the most public land of any state east of the Mississippi. Much of that land is scattered in parks all around the state and in the ADKs. So, I'd hardly call Upstate NY an industrial wasteland. Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

NJ, with its Republican governor, IS mostly an industrial wasteland. With its governor at a 15% approval rating and its cities getting even more dangerous and boarded up.

You should visit Rochester, Buffalo, and Albany before you make these comments. They are pretty darn nice areas now. Even if they aren't as nice as some other new cities, it doesn't matter because they're affordable.

America has shifted and *some* (not all) people are more interested in living in cheaper, "rust belt" areas because they are the last affordable places. Sure, I think they are more affordable because there's less demand and cloudy/snowy weather, but who cares? People need affordable places to go! Its getting harder and harder to afford Austin, Denver, and Raleigh. Seattle, Portland, and SF are crazy expensive. The infrastructure is there, and you're not just a face in the crowd like in NYC or LA.

You can actually live and afford a house and a car on $50k in Buffalo/Roc/Albany. Alb is 3 hours from NYC, Boston, and Montreal, 3 world class cities. Buffalo is near Toronto but costs 1/4 of the price. There's reasons why people continue to live in these areas.

Freedom to you is 10 rounds in a gun. Freedom to me is vast, open old-growth wilderness of the ADKs and undammed lakes that are clean and not just a hot reservoir of water for Phoenix or LA. A lot of AZ is a brown, ugly, hot strip mall filled with illegals and identical brown tract houses on a 1/4 acre. No thanks. I'll take NYS every time.

And lastly, Trump is an idiot.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,241,544 times
I think if NYC went its own way, upstate would do just fine because they apparently have the world's largest salt industry. It's salty all over up there.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,264,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I think what Trump is trying to say is that although his policies are pro growth, Many states, like NY policies, high tax and high regulation will still struggle.
Nyah-ah....

t-Rump's lack of enthusiasm for New York State is purely political. NYS is a blue state--do you honestly believe that the Tweeter-in-Chief is going to support a state with the like of Chuck Schumer representing it?

Also, if you look at those rust belt red state getting an influx of new jobs, you'll realize that they're all back-deals to make Trump and the GOP look good....

The Latest: Officials call Foxconn project 'Flying Eagle' | Madison Wisconsin Business News | host.madison.com

...so basically, the state of Wisconsin is "buying" these jobs...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.57ed5f7ae582

It will be real interesting to see how this deal really pans out....

Old 07-28-2017, 05:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,999,037 times
A lot of the country is financially depressed and entire states are dependent on a few cities or companies. Is 1/2 the country supposed to move to the 6 top markets?
I wonder if he has said that to any red states that are in shambles? Maybe he doesn't realize that his support comes from upstate and he thinks he's telling off the lefties?
Either way, it's irresponsible to tell unskilled/semiskilled people to move. The majority will be worse off.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:22 AM

783 posts, read 573,025 times
So the President said that some people should move if they can't find jobs because there will be more jobs in another location.

And people have an issue with this why, exactly? As if no one has ever had to move to get a job before. I mean, it's great if you don't have to move, but if you've been out of work for a while or you are working someplace that doesn't provide what you need to live and take care of your family, you're damn right you should move. Unless you think you're entitled to have a job where you want, when you want. But good luck with that.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:44 AM

3,532 posts, read 2,999,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
So the President said that some people should move if they can't find jobs because there will be more jobs in another location.

And people have an issue with this why, exactly? As if no one has ever had to move to get a job before. I mean, it's great if you don't have to move, but if you've been out of work for a while or you are working someplace that doesn't provide what you need to live and take care of your family, you're damn right you should move. Unless you think you're entitled to have a job where you want, when you want. But good luck with that.
If you have some skills, ok. But if you're moving to a higher COL for $150 more a week and have no job security then it might not be the best idea if you're over 40.
I think the real takeaway is that he's ok with turning everything outside of the NYC metro into a ghost town.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 AM

Trump knows Cuomo is going to challenge him in 2020. If he can point to NY as a "YUGE" loser of population, he will. He will literally throw his own home state under the bus to further his political career. Its unfortunate that so many Americans can't see how much this guy only cares about himself.

How about helping NY get more federal tax dollars BACK. Because we send a lot (NY and NJ) to Washington to be redistributed (that evil word) to Red States. This is a fact. SC gets $7.87 back for every dollar sent to Washington.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...takers/361668/

Old 07-29-2017, 08:13 AM

7,470 posts, read 4,303,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Remind us where you moved again, was it New Mexico?

NY has the most public land of any state east of the Mississippi. Much of that land is scattered in parks all around the state and in the ADKs. So, I'd hardly call Upstate NY an industrial wasteland. Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

NJ, with its Republican governor, IS mostly an industrial wasteland. With its governor at a 15% approval rating and its cities getting even more dangerous and boarded up.

You should visit Rochester, Buffalo, and Albany before you make these comments. They are pretty darn nice areas now. Even if they aren't as nice as some other new cities, it doesn't matter because they're affordable.

America has shifted and *some* (not all) people are more interested in living in cheaper, "rust belt" areas because they are the last affordable places. Sure, I think they are more affordable because there's less demand and cloudy/snowy weather, but who cares? People need affordable places to go! Its getting harder and harder to afford Austin, Denver, and Raleigh. Seattle, Portland, and SF are crazy expensive. The infrastructure is there, and you're not just a face in the crowd like in NYC or LA.

You can actually live and afford a house and a car on $50k in Buffalo/Roc/Albany. Alb is 3 hours from NYC, Boston, and Montreal, 3 world class cities. Buffalo is near Toronto but costs 1/4 of the price. There's reasons why people continue to live in these areas.

Freedom to you is 10 rounds in a gun. Freedom to me is vast, open old-growth wilderness of the ADKs and undammed lakes that are clean and not just a hot reservoir of water for Phoenix or LA. A lot of AZ is a brown, ugly, hot strip mall filled with illegals and identical brown tract houses on a 1/4 acre. No thanks. I'll take NYS every time.

And lastly, Trump is an idiot.
No, I live in Arizona. It's America's 6th largest state and is nothing like you've described. I could have moved to any state I wanted to and have traveled throughout the country. I moved to Arizona because I love it out here but most importantly because this is where I want to be. There's nothing like being able to choose where you want to live. Instead of being forced to live where you hate it.

NJ with it's Republican governor is still a "Blue" state. It's legislature is run by Democrats. Christie is a Rino and a fat pig. A typical politician. I can't stand the man myself. If Christie were a true Republican he never would have been elected as governor of New Jersey. Pataki as governor of New York was just the same. I've met Pataki many times while he was mayor of Peekskill where I used to live. A typical two faced lying politician to be sure.

I've been all over New York State, God only knows how many times including Rochester, Buffalo and Albany. You're forgetting that I have lived in New York State for most of my life. I'm quite familiar with it. True there are some nice area's just as there are some beautiful places upstate. I lived in the Hudson Valley and still have a fondness for that area. As far as Rochester, Buffalo and Albany and other than maybe Gary, Indiana. You couldn't pay me enough money to live there. There's a reason why it's so cheap at least by New York's standards. They are some of the most depressing places in the United States. You do not hear of too many people rushing to move there from other places. Or even vacation there for that matter. Dismal, dank and dreary is about the best way to describe it.

Freedom to me is being able to exercise all of your Constitutional rights including the 2nd Amendment. Not having to live amongst people who have the same attitude as it's current governor that those that do not think like them are not welcome in New York.
Quote:
“Their problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are?,” Cuomo wondered at the time. “Because if that’s who they are and they’re the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York, because that’s not who New Yorkers are.”
So I guess that there are no illegal invaders in New York? Who are you trying to kid? New York is a sanctuary state. Just go and visit NYC and it's metro area where I used to live. It's almost as if you're living in Latin America. We had a single family house full of them living right next door to us right before we moved. There were at least 3 families living in that house. There were two others just like it in our old neighborhood. We called the authorities on several occasions but they just ignored it.

If Trump were an idiot, that's not saying too much for Hillary. He's the president and she's not. I'm not a "Trumpster" he was my last choice except for Kasich amongst the Republicans for president. Trump never had any core political beliefs and was once a Democrat. However I did vote for him as I would never vote for a Democrat no matter who they are as I am against everything that party stands for. What a relief it is to be away from the likes of Schumer and Co. and those who keep electing them.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 07-29-2017 at 08:24 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
No, I live in Arizona. It's America's 6th largest state and is nothing like you've described. I could have moved to any state I wanted to and have traveled throughout the country. I moved to Arizona because I love it out here but most importantly because this is where I want to be. There's nothing like being able to choose where you want to live. Instead of being forced to live where you hate it.

NJ with it's Republican governor is still a "Blue" state. It's legislature is run by Democrats. Christie is a Rino and a fat pig. A typical politician. I can't stand the man myself. If Christie were a true Republican he never would have been elected as governor of New Jersey. Pataki as governor of New York was just the same. I've met Pataki many times while he was mayor of Peekskill where I used to live. A typical two faced lying politician to be sure.

I've been all over New York State, God only knows how many times including Rochester, Buffalo and Albany. You're forgetting that I have lived in New York State for most of my life. I'm quite familiar with it. True there are some nice area's just as there are some beautiful places upstate. I lived in the Hudson Valley and still have a fondness for that area. As far as Rochester, Buffalo and Albany and other than maybe Gary, Indiana. You couldn't pay me enough money to live there. There's a reason why it's so cheap at least by New York's standards. They are some of the most depressing places in the United States. You do not hear of too many people rushing to move there from other places. Or even vacation there for that matter. Dismal, dank and dreary is about the best way to describe it.

Freedom to me is being able to exercise all of your Constitutional rights including the 2nd Amendment. Not having to live amongst people who have the same attitude as it's current governor that those that do not think like them are not welcome in New York.

So I guess that there are no illegal invaders in New York? Who are you trying to kid? New York is a sanctuary state. Just go and visit NYC and it's metro area where I used to live. It's almost as if you're living in Latin America. We had a single family house full of them living right next door to us right before we moved. There were at least 3 families living in that house. There were two others just like it in our old neighborhood. We called the authorities on several occasions but they just ignored it.

If Trump were an idiot, that's not saying too much for Hillary. He's the president and she's not. I'm not a "Trumpster" he was my last choice except for Kasich amongst the Republicans for president. Trump never had any core political beliefs and was once a Democrat. However I did vote for him as I would never vote for a Democrat no matter who they are as I am against everything that party stands for. What a relief it is to be away from the likes of Schumer and Co. and those who keep electing them.
I was in Buffalo and Rochester in 2007, I disliked both of them and wrote about it here extensively. Then I visited recently (Buffalo 2016 and Roc just a couple of weeks ago) and I was really surprised on how much nicer they are now. I certainly wouldn't describe them as dismal, dark, and dreary (yes, the weather can be for 4 months. I don't deny that. But then 8 months of pretty darn nice weather).

Of course there are bad neighborhoods. Does Phoenix and LA not have these areas too? Las Vegas? Albuquerque is one of the most dangerous cities in the US. Pretty much every city within 300 miles of where you live has bad areas is my point, and many of them have bad areas much larger than any Upstate city in NY.

As for AZ natural resources, I am not denying that they are beautiful. AZ is a beautiful state, overall. So is NY, overall. But just as NY has nasty areas in parts, AZ also has a lot of ugly tract housing and ugly brown areas with tons of strip malls, completely devoid of any character. I know you don't live in Phoenix but also not everyone in NY lives in Peekskill. Yes, Rockland and the NYC metro has run-down areas. Trust me, I'm in them all the time.

NYC definitely isn't like living in Latin America. There's a mix of White, Asian, Latino, Black, Jewish, and now mainly hipsters! etc all over the place. Like I said, I think things have changed a bit since you were last here perhaps. I think you may have lived in a crap part of NY. Certainly they exist. You couldn't pay me to live in Newburgh, Peekskill, or Poughkeepsie. But nor could I be paid to live in Mesa, Phoenix, Tempe or Las Vegas for that matter. Sometimes its a matter of moving a few towns or a county away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York