Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 07:01 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,390,589 times

Advertisements

One hit wonder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 06:34 PM

53 posts, read 32,494 times
I'm looking at moving from a larger CA city and it blows my mind looking at the statistics, given it seems crimes are literally contained to a few blocks and then stop, much like a gang territory. Does anyone have any insight or opinion on the neighborhood and area surrounding Marion/Main in Endwell/Endicott? I'll be moving next month for work at BU and the realtor has been of very little help in narrowing down areas. Any insights are much appreciated!

Old 07-19-2020, 05:28 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Just to throw out there, if the city of Binghamton is an option, the West Side(south of Main Street) and across the Susquehanna River into the western half/2 thirds of the South Side are nice, generally middle class areas of the city. Both are still pretty close to Vestal, especially south of the Susquehanna. There are some nice streets on the city’s East Side as well.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:49 PM
PFM

181 posts, read 221,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastViaWest View Post
I'm looking at moving from a larger CA city and it blows my mind looking at the statistics, given it seems crimes are literally contained to a few blocks and then stop, much like a gang territory. Does anyone have any insight or opinion on the neighborhood and area surrounding Marion/Main in Endwell/Endicott? I'll be moving next month for work at BU and the realtor has been of very little help in narrowing down areas. Any insights are much appreciated!
Relatively quiet neighborhood, houses mainly 1930s-1960s two story middle class, traffic not bad, less than 15 min. drive to supermarkets and big store shopping. Also, the marketing geniuses came up with the term Greater Binghamton several decades ago for PR purposes, but each town and village are their own little entity - Main and Marion are in Endwell, which falls under the Town of Union. The towns of Vestal and Union alone have a larger population than the city of Binghamton.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Vestal still has less people than the city of Binghamton, Union has more people than Binghamton. https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045219

Old 07-26-2020, 05:05 PM

53 posts, read 32,494 times
Still trying to grasp this village, hamlet, town, city thing...we just have cities and unincorporated areas here.
Every time I say it, the song "and the green grass grew all around and around..." starts playing in my head.

Hamlet in the village, the village in the town, the town in the metro, the metro in the city....

Old 07-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Still trying to grasp this village, hamlet, town, city thing...we just have cities and unincorporated areas here.
Every time I say it, the song "and the green grass grew all around and around..." starts playing in my head.

Hamlet in the village, the village in the town, the town in the metro, the metro in the city....
Hamlets and villages are within a town, though a village is an incorporated community within a town and a hamlet isn’t. All towns are incorporated.

Cities are standalone incorporated places. Meaning, they aren’t a part of a town like a village.

Then, of course counties. Binghamton is in Broome County.

Lastly, metropolitan statistical areas(MSA) are based off of commuting interchange of 25% between or among the central county and adjacent counties. Tioga County is the only other county that meets this requirement and in turn, is in the metropolitan area.

If there was another county that met the 15% commuting interchange requirement, it would be a part of the Combined Statistical Area(CSA). Binghamton doesn’t have one.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admini...w_York_(state))

I had seen the above page several months back, and it may be your guide to understanding! I don't live in NYS (yet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York