Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 06:55 AM

92,545 posts, read 122,787,522 times

Advertisements

It looks like the state has offered free camping to those that go for the first time: CNY Vision New York State Offers Free Camping For First Timers - CNY Vision
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:09 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,528,290 times
Yay, a shiny new camping thread.

My question is how crowded are the New York campgrounds? I will be in the finger lakes and adirondak areas. I may camp on lake erie north of Syracuse, any recommendations? I would love a tent spot on the water, is that just dreaming? I assume I'd need a recommendation for that but what about lakefront campgrounds in the adirondaks.

BTW, great program for the newbies.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

My question is how crowded are the New York campgrounds? I will be in the finger lakes and adirondak areas. I may camp on lake erie north of Syracuse, any recommendations? I would love a tent spot on the water, is that just dreaming? I assume I'd need a recommendation for that but what about lakefront campgrounds in the adirondaks.

If you want the Adirondacks, there are some grounds near Old Forge that you could look into. This is one that comes to mind: Nicks Lake Campground - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

This is located NW of Syracuse on Lake Ontario: Welcome to the SutterCreek CampGround

A couple of others on/near lake Ontario that come to mind: RV Campgrounds - Brennan Beach RV Campgrounds & Resort in New York, Largest RV Park in the Northeast

Welcome to Sandy Pond, NY - Enjoy sandy beaches & great swimming, fishing, boating & more.
Nearby: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/153/details.aspx

You may also be interested in this area just east of Syracuse: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/172
https://newyorkstateparks.reserveame...=NY&parkId=165

I hope this helps and that others will chime in with more suggestions.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:15 AM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 4 days ago)

43,418 posts, read 44,127,411 times
It is free for first time people going camping ever or is it free for the first one goes camping in NY State?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It is free for first time people going camping ever or is it free for the first one goes camping in NY State?
Good question...I'm assuming it is for people going for the first time ever from within the state.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,325,025 times
Quote:

So here are my experience with the state campgrounds in NY:
-Adirondacks are more likely to have waterfront sites. They also have my favorite sites.
-Getting a waterfront site, if not reserved way in advance, can be very difficult.
-The state has tons of campgrounds with sites on lakes.
-Getting sites = much easier during the week, as compared to F/S/S.

You can look around on the state site and see which ones have waterfront sites and which ones don't.

Weekends are ALWAYS more crowded, especially the closer you are to major cities. For example, I'm going camping in the Catskills soon and literally EVERY site on Saturday is taken.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,127,973 times
I hate to say, nyc peeps are not really into camping. I know some of the campsites are only less than a mile away, but these nyc peeps have no clue or care to veg out camping for the weekend. too bad.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 PM

6,342 posts, read 11,528,290 times
So sunday nights are busy as well? I've been pretty fortunate in the smokies to show up and get a good spot on a sunday night. But now that I think of it, the spots were reserved through sunday, as if the people wanted to enjoy it during the day, then left to go home. So I showed up in the evening and "squatted" on a reserved site, more or less. I'll usually still pay the fee to the state or forest service gets $ twice for the same site.

I don't really expect to get a lakefront site at this late date, unless I stumble across one that was reserved and vacated. I guess just being at a lakefront campground will be nice.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
So sunday nights are busy as well? I've been pretty fortunate in the smokies to show up and get a good spot on a sunday night. But now that I think of it, the spots were reserved through sunday, as if the people wanted to enjoy it during the day, then left to go home. So I showed up in the evening and "squatted" on a reserved site, more or less. I'll usually still pay the fee to the state or forest service gets $ twice for the same site.

I don't really expect to get a lakefront site at this late date, unless I stumble across one that was reserved and vacated. I guess just being at a lakefront campground will be nice.
Depends how far you're willing to go. Further out/further away from stuff, getting a lakefront site isn't impossible. I would actually some camps that have lakefront sites and ask if they have any they keep as walk-in sites. I did actually get a lakefront site two weeks in advance just the other day---I am assuming someone canceled---but it's good to check.

Sunday nights, yes, you are more likely to get one. But you're right, some people do reserve to stay the day and leave later on at night---I've seen that too.

If you want to ask me about some specific sites you're interested in, I might be able to give a better answer.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:39 PM

BTW-If you're willing to go in September, I haven't checked the rest of this month, I see plenty of waterfront sites at certain places. If you look on the site and tell me which sites you're possibly interested in, I will let you know in on my secrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York