Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:36 AM

761 posts, read 603,984 times

Advertisements

I would like to know your impression of Catskill NY,
the good, the bad, the ugly..

Adorable, charming, nice community, safe?

OR Run down, gritty, drug issues, seedy?

I have NO clue, have never been there but if you have a pretty
good feeling of the town please share your impression
and what is has to offer please.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:04 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
It may be better to tell us what you are looking for.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:16 PM

I'm looking to know if this is a lovely town to move to.
We are empty nesters. We were looking online for homes
in Hudson and the market is so brisk I wondered if across
the bridge would also find us a nice safe place to live
with enough shopping amenities that one doesn't have
to leave town to get food, clothes, hardware store etc..

Old 09-10-2017, 01:39 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
I'm looking to know if this is a lovely town to move to.
We are empty nesters. We were looking online for homes
in Hudson and the market is so brisk I wondered if across
the bridge would also find us a nice safe place to live
with enough shopping amenities that one doesn't have
to leave town to get food, clothes, hardware store etc..
Your best bet would be to pick out a number of locations where you think you'd like to live. Then plan on spending a lot of time researching those places along with subscribing to their local newspapers. Paying particular attention to the letters section. Although not fail safe you can get a general idea of what life is like in those area's by the tone of those letters.

You'll also have to take into consideration the population density of where you want to live. The smaller the towns the fewer amenities and you may have to drive farther for your everyday items. Also take into consideration the proximity of hospitals, fire and police stations in case of an emergency. Generally speaking the denser the population the more crime, noise and litter you will have.

Once you've narrowed down your list of where you think you'd like to live plan on making several trips to each of those locations at different times of the year along with meeting a few different realtors. They will be able to give you an accurate assessment of where you can afford to live and the type of home you can expect. Realtor.com is an excellent source along with google maps street views. That can give you a good idea of what the neighborhoods are like before you plan your trips. You can't rely on realtors for that, they are in the business of selling houses. Many will not show you what's around the block and out of sight. While visiting drive around those neighborhoods yourself without the aid of a realtor. Also plan on going to the stores you think you'd like to shop at. Are they clean, crowded, expensive? Do their customers seem impatient, or generally happy?

Before we moved out west it was almost as if we'd already lived out here. A lot of our friends who are natives out here have told us we know more about Arizona than they do. Moving to a location that you are unfamiliar with takes time and patience. It took us two years before we moved. But if you do it right you'll end up being just as happy as we are. It was the best move we ever made!

They last thing you want to do is move and end up being miserable as some people have found out.

I wish you all the luck in the world.

Old 09-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Yes, a very thorough reply. Thank you Ex New Yorker. Was certainly hoping for a description of the town. It will be Catskill or Hudson. No other towns will be looked at.
So if anybody is out there that can give me your impression of Catskill, I look forward to hearing them.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Yes, a very thorough reply. Thank you Ex New Yorker. Was certainly hoping for a description of the town. It will be Catskill or Hudson. No other towns will be looked at.
So if anybody is out there that can give me your impression of Catskill, I look forward to hearing them.
You're welcome! Just thought I'd let you know what we did before moving to a place that we were not familiar with. For us it worked out great. Hopefully, it will for you. I had neighbors who went on a vacation to Florida and loved it. They came back, put their house up for sale, sold their home and moved only to find out that it wasn't at all what they had expected. That sure surprised us as they took good care of their home and property and never even talked of moving.

My wife and I were born, raised and lived most of our lives in the Hudson Valley. We've explored different regions all over the state. Sometimes we'd just hop in our car and take long day trips. A lot of my high school classmates attended college in different parts of the state and I used to visit them. I don't ever remember being in Catskill, N.Y. only passing it on Rte. 87 on the way up to the Adirondacks.

I've been through Hudson, that I do know. When I was there the downtown area looked pretty dilapidated and run down. I believe there is a prison either there or nearby? Or at least there was. However passing through and living there are two different things. It might be okay on the outskirts as long as you do not have to go downtown on a regular basis if at all.

There are other towns along the Hudson River besides those two that may suit your needs and budget that you may want to look into. Especially if you don't find what you're looking for in either of those two places. The landscape and scenery is pretty much the same throughout that region.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-12-2017 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-12-2017, 11:03 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post

I've been through Hudson, that I do know. When I was there the downtown area looked pretty dilapidated and run down. I believe there is a prison either there or nearby? Or at least there was. However passing through and living there are two different things. It might be okay on the outskirts as long as you do not have to go downtown on a regular basis if at all.
Hudson is not rundown. It may have some rundown sections, but the downtown is thriving.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:21 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Hudson is not rundown. It may have some rundown sections, but the downtown is thriving.
It looks like Catskill may be similar in terms of its downtown as well: Heart of Catskill Association

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cZw3WCp-KY

Old 09-13-2017, 03:49 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,254,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It looks like Catskill may be similar in terms of its downtown as well: Heart of Catskill Association

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cZw3WCp-KY
Nice video. But downtown Catskill still is a work in progress. It has excellent potential.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:12 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,595 times
Catskill has some bright spots. The waterfront is on its way up and there are a few good places to eat. You have access to groceries, Walmart, Home Depot, fitness classes, the basics.

There isn't a hospital there, so you'd either be traveling to Albany, across the river to Hudson, or south to Rhinebeck or Kingston.

Hudson is a study in contrasts, but it has rebounded better than Catskill. Warren Street is quite nice and has a very different feel than other parts of the city. There are some really nice neighborhoods and some really marginal ones. IMO it is still a gritty town and has it's share of challenges, but it has more to offer than Catskill. The hospital and Amtrak station are also pluses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York