Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:09 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's a shame.

What these employers have to understand is that many people have lost their jobs at higher salaries only to find that the job market may have changed. What you were making before may not be what that particular job is paying now. Or as in your case one bank may pay less than another. You also may have had seniority and earned more than the starting salary for that position.

I guess the way they see it is if you were earning a higher salary for the same position at your previous job you may not want to stay with them very long? But at least you were honest and told them. For that reason alone they should have hired you. Oh well, that's their loss. Hopefully you were able to find a better job anyway. The hell with them.
Thanks. It actually would have been a step down because I just wanted out of where I was and btw, I'm still here just in a different position lol...maybe they felt I was over qualified but that should have been my decision to make. They didn't even give me an opportunity to an interview. I totally understand if they thought I was not going to stay long but given the industry and where I was coming from, I thought they would have at least given me a call. It actually was a blessing in disguise. Several co-workers ended up going to that other bank and left within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 03:47 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,346,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Thanks. It actually would have been a step down because I just wanted out of where I was and btw, I'm still here just in a different position lol...maybe they felt I was over qualified but that should have been my decision to make. They didn't even give me an opportunity to an interview. I totally understand if they thought I was not going to stay long but given the industry and where I was coming from, I thought they would have at least given me a call. It actually was a blessing in disguise. Several co-workers ended up going to that other bank and left within a year.
Strange how things work. My wife and I worked for the same company for 20 years before they packed up and moved down south. We were both making $20 an hour and they only offered one of us a job at $12.35 an hour. Obviously we didn't go. We both received severance pay for the years we worked there. As for those who moved with them; the company went out of business 5 years later and they received nothing other than a pink slip.

Our old skills at that company had become obsolete and computerized. As for us we taught ourselves how to use computers and start a home based business in the field we were in. Being self employed and working using a computer enabled us to live anywhere in the country of our choosing and we are now out of New York and living in Arizona, a state where we've always wanted to be. Indeed a blessing in disguise.

Fortunately and because of computers and the internet a lot of companies are allowing people to work remotely from their homes. It makes sense as they do not need as much office space to house all of their employees, saving them on rent, utilities and construction costs if they own their own or are planning on owning their own buildings.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-25-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 06:39 AM

19 posts, read 27,461 times
Thanks to all for the reply.

I'm Engineer with almost 10 years of experience.

I would like to know how much amount per month will spend in the following:

1. Food and drinks for (2 Adult and 1 child). (cook at home weekdays and go out weekends).
2. Renting a two bedroom apartment in a good area (safe, decent, not crowded and nice neighborhood) in new york or new jersey.
3. Electricity, Wifi, Phone Bills.
4. Transportation ( Two options: 1. How much per month if I Buy a car with installment plus gas, 2. Use metro).
5. kindergarten in new york and new jersey.

If I miss something extra please let me know.

Also, I have some queries regarding the taxes as follow;

1. Do taxes for the family are less than for a single?

2. If taxes are less for a family, what is the average percentage? and is there any website to calculate for a family.

3. How do they collect the taxes? Will I pay every month certain amount or every year?

I need also some websites for renting places in new york and new jersey.

Based on the answers, I will ask for the Net salary (Take home income).

Your cooperation and support, are Highly appreciated.

Thanks Again to All.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrashed View Post
Thanks to all for the reply.

I'm Engineer with almost 10 years of experience.

I would like to know how much amount per month will spend in the following:

1. Food and drinks for (2 Adult and 1 child). (cook at home weekdays and go out weekends).
2. Renting a two bedroom apartment in a good area (safe, decent, not crowded and nice neighborhood) in new york or new jersey.
3. Electricity, Wifi, Phone Bills.
4. Transportation ( Two options: 1. How much per month if I Buy a car with installment plus gas, 2. Use metro).
5. kindergarten in new york and new jersey.

If I miss something extra please let me know.

Also, I have some queries regarding the taxes as follow;

1. Do taxes for the family are less than for a single?

2. If taxes are less for a family, what is the average percentage? and is there any website to calculate for a family.

3. How do they collect the taxes? Will I pay every month certain amount or every year?

I need also some websites for renting places in new york and new jersey.

Based on the answers, I will ask for the Net salary (Take home income).

Your cooperation and support, are Highly appreciated.

Thanks Again to All.
Are you referring to NYC and the surrounding area? I only as, because it would probably be better to ask in specific forums for more information, as NY as a state varies greatly in terms of cost of living.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
I suggest starting with a COL comparison between where you live now and Manhattan and the boroughs. That will give you a rough “like for like”. Google “COL calculator”

It sounds as though you are foreign as you don’t understand taxes - and yes, there are websites that calculate taxes for you. Note that living in NYC means you pay 3 income taxes - federal, state and city.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:07 PM

1,186 posts, read 965,482 times
I'm far too lazy to do a play-by-play explanation of costs, but depending on where you are relocating from (Asia? India? Europe?) your cost of living adjustment may vary.

Assuming you pick a safe, but urban place to live like in the outer boroughs, NY or Jersey City, NJ you can probably subsist on the 100k salary which one other poster mentioned. Personally, if I were the sole income-earner, and especially coming from overseas, I would want to have enough to put some money in savings, which means that to support 3 people + saving on 100K is going to require some frugality on your part. It can certainly be done.

Some NYC-specific suggestions:

1. Aim for cooking at home and bringing your lunch to the office - eating out for lunch every day at the office can become incredibly expensive when added up over a period of a month or year.

2. Forego owning a car for at least the first year you live here - parking is a huge expense in or near Manhattan and you can easily reach most parts of NYC from a combination of Subway/PATH/Light Rail/Bus/Ferry, etc. A car is a convenience but it will add a lot of extra costs (parking, registration, mandatory insurance) whether or not you are using it daily.

3. Child care is incredibly expensive on average, so assuming you can avoid that then you may have some financial advantage there. I'm not sure about the school costs, but if you are planning on public school the costs are minimal. Private schools can, of course, be very expensive. There are sites for researching and comparing school quality in various areas (google).

4. If your office is in Manhattan you will need to pay the NYC/NY tax regardless of where you live. If you live in NJ you will need to file for reciprocity in NJ for the NYC taxes your employer will take. This can get complicated so if you can afford it, hire a good accountant or CPA to help you with this for the first year at least.

5. Check if your employer offers short or long-term disability insurance which you can purchase to protect you (as sole income earner) if you are injured or unable to work for any reason you will still have some income.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 AM

There’s no way he could afford child care, a car, etc. on $100K in NYC. Ain’t gonna happen.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:23 PM

4,762 posts, read 792,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
There’s no way he could afford child care, a car, etc. on $100K in NYC. Ain’t gonna happen.
Said that right. I lived in New York City on $95,000 per year, and struggled....I wasn't giving up my car (mass transit just isn't for me)....and that was with no kids.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC1024 View Post
Said that right. I lived in New York City on $95,000 per year, and struggled....I wasn't giving up my car (mass transit just isn't for me)....and that was with no kids.
I made it work on $65K, just me alone, but in the outer boroughs....20 years ago. Equates to over $100K today.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:58 PM

49 posts, read 55,634 times
Engineer in what field and specialty? Devs in finance can make >$200K entry salary out of grad school, plus bonus. I've heard of $200K out of undergrad. For NYC, just take the typical US salary in your field and triple it, and you still might not be able to live "comfortably" with one, let alone a few children. Even worse in San Francisco or Silicon Valley, and only a little easier in Seattle.

A family with children can struggle in NYC on $300K/year. Private school tuition alone is $45K/year, median Manhattan home sale is $1.5 million, mean is over $2 million, and costs will be higher in better school districts. A few test-based elite citywide public schools are excellent, but odds of admittance are slim.

You'd probably come out slightly ahead in the suburbs, though not by much because various local property taxes will add to ~2.5% of home value per year in a decent school district. But income taxes will be less, and you avoid private school fees.

All that said, NYC-metro is the best place in US imho, so congrats and good luck.

Last edited by entropywins; 10-26-2017 at 12:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: